Thoughts on a cracked flywheel 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
doing an engine swap and pulled the clutch to find this.
Thoughts?

IMG_1337.PNG

IMG_1338.PNG

I will agree this photo doesn't look like a crack. When i looked at it today it really looked like a crack! Mechanic sent me this pic, I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow.

Yep it looks like someone drew that on there. How well do you trust this mechanic?

Looks like someone had the flywheel off and used a heavy handed approach to realignment...

Yes, at first it looks like a defect in the casting but it keeps going.
I think replace it is the answer.

Surely someone has one lying around that they'd like to sell.
Cruiserparts.net will have one.
I've read a few complaints but they have always done right by me.

Edit: The defect may be nothing but weigh the cost of replacing a flywheel against the job of pulling the engine again.

Had a 76 TR6 and pulled the transmission at least 3 times trying to get the vibration out of the clutch due to a bad flywheel.
About 14 hours each time.
In my opinion, your time is worth more than the flywheel.

Last edited:
Mark

You're talking about the one at 9 o'clock, not the one at 1 o'clock? If so, that's the rearmost ring of the crank, not the flywheel.

The "crack in question" is the one at 1 o'clock. I'm. It sure how the camera changed a crack to a gouge mark, but that's what happened. I looked at it again today, and in person it appears to be a crack. The flywheel will be off early next week and I'll try to get some better pics. When I went by the shop, the mechanic asked me if I had zoomed in on the picture, because he noticed the pic looked different!

As for reason for swap, I have a '65 original f motor and parts are hard to come by. Found this 2f local for a good price so there ya go. I'm also swapping a rebuilt '76 disc axle at the same time.

The original axle and the f motor are going to be restored and kept in the shop for the ability to go back to "bone stock".

Thanks

I understand completely about the vagueries of photography. Half the stuff I post doesn't come out the way I want it too. @Kaderabek made me laugh years ago when he said my pics only had utility as postage stamps!

From the photo, it is definitely not a crack. If your eye sees something the photo doesn't show, and you're sure it's a crack, drill the end of it with a Ø1/8-in drill and forget about it. This will stop the crack from running and the plate will function as designed.

Have it resurfaced and slap it back on.

I looked at it again today, and in person it appears to be a crack. The flywheel will be off early next week and I'll try to get some better pics.

Murphy's Law, if something can go wrong it usually does for me. If I removed every bolt holding the flywheel to the crank didn't remove it right away somebody would come along move something that bumps the engine and the flywheel fall and destroys the starter ring gear. Or worse I forgot it was loose moved it causing it to fall. Makes wonder if you pulled all the bolts why not just take it off. They usually come off pretty easy. If they didn't Toyota would have provided a couple of threaded holes to use for jacking bolts.

Isn't that inner circle that the line crosses actually part of the crankshaft, and not the flywheel?

To me it looks like someone gouged a line across the flywheel and crankshaft thinking they would need it to line things up when putting the flywheel back on (unnecessary, I know, but that doesn't mean someone didn't do it thinking they needed it).

It doesn't look like a crack because it doesn't even look continuous.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom