Those with long term experience with Depo headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I started a thread asking opinions on which lights to go with, a factory replacement for the passenger side, unmodified Depo's or dual/quad lights like the Overseas 80's. The pole winner is stock but I'm struggling to find a used replacement that isn't in the same condition with cracked tabs. So I'm asking for firsthand experiences for those who have been running Depo lights on their 80's. I haven't had good experiences with quality in the past on other vehicles, and usually Depo lights are missing the fine details like headlight level/sightglass etc... I would like to get some firsthand opinions and part quality and durability. Thanks in advance.

Perfectly happy with mine over OEM crap.
You can adjust them to your liking. I am using the H1/H4 bulbs regular stuff, not crazy high Watts.
One thing I did not figure out, and I tried, was to get the dual filament to light up for the low beam bulb when the high beams are activated. My wiring connections were either faulty or the relay I used was faulty. Not a big deal at all.

Had my depos for 3 years and would never go back to oem. Light is superior, they look great, and with the rally light harness I get hi and low bulbs running when in high.

I could barely see the road with oem. That problem is long.gone.

If they wear out will just get another set.

I have my old oems if you want them. Decent shape and a cali vehicle so not much winter abuse.

Going on year 8 with my Depo's. No. Complaints. They aren't perfect, and have a bit of green oxidation on the "chrome", but the units themselves have been solid.

Had my depos for 3 years and would never go back to oem. Light is superior, they look great, and with the rally light harness I get hi and low bulbs running when in high.

I could barely see the road with oem. That problem is long.gone.

If they wear out will just get another set.

I have my old oems if you want them. Decent shape and a cali vehicle so not much winter abuse.
Please elaborate on this rally light harness you speak of?

I’ve had the Depo’s with h1/h4 bulbs and the Slee harness for about 18 months. Not exactly long term but I’m happy with them. As said before, it’s much more light than the old oem units and they adjust well.

My driver side light took a hard hit by a rock last month that left a small mark on the plastic lens. A glass unit would have broken.

If I want more light than these will put out, and conditions permit, I switch on my HID Off road lights but this comes up rarely.

DEPOS WITH H1/H4 AWESOME

Depo headlights have glass lenses. Anzo headlights use plastic, are those what you have?
I have depo’s And could swear they are plastic.

Stupid question but does anyone have a link for the depo glass headlight assembly?

Stupid question but does anyone have a link for the depo glass headlight assembly?
Check out my post/pole for headlights. I answered this question there and there is a link.

I think might be part of what your looking for: DEPO 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ80 EURO CLEAR HEADLIGHTS SET | eBay

I believe you need a harness of some variety, I have an extra harness that was destined for my no longer in this world 62, I'm sure I can modify it to work on the 80. This is an example: Slee - Light Harness , but I'm sure there are other vendors here in this forum who also provide harnesses. If you searched you might even find a DIY schematic, I know there is one in the 60 series forum, the difference being the headlight plugs. I'm only assuming my harness will work, I don't know if the 80's use ground side switch, this I'll have to search. Then you can use a variety of bulbs, like H1 and H4. I've owned Land Cruisers for close to 30 years, but I'm new to 80 series

I got the innovative harness, but it does not activate both filaments when high beams are on for the low beam dual filament bulb.

I'm not concerned so much with the light output, I just want to know how they have held up, build quality is more important. @joez is that the chrome outer trim or the headlight inner housing that is turning green?

Got mine from @ranma21.

Yup that is me =) The quality is actually very good, great output, glass lense with chrome reflector. The Depo glass clear headlamp will be the best option other than factory lamp. It refresh your front end too =) You will love it, I am out of it though.

I'm not concerned so much with the light output, I just want to know how they have held up, build quality is more important. @joez is that the chrome outer trim or the headlight inner housing that is turning green?
Outer trim, and only on top where it's under the hood. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom