This is beautiful...somebody make it for me (60 headlights on an 80)! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks like a much easier approach than having to graft new fenders. Looks like all they did was modify the lower valance to fit and add some filler material under the corner light.
You are right. "Some filler material under the corner light" is the ugliest part of the face. I'm will change it.

Yeah my thoughts too. That will be an easy spot to work with. My concern is the outer fender to meet the 60 turnsignal.

very cool, no fender work is much appreciated. Now I just have to find or duplicate another one for me :(

If you have enough bandwidth to upload a bunch of pics of the grill with a meter-stick next to it and show all the construction details you can. If I feel ambitious I might try to duplicate it later in my build (2016-17) but if anyone wants to tackle it in the meantime I'll sign up on a group buy.

Can you fab up something like Shevgen has? Then you could leave the fenders stock...
yes but I don't think it looks good. It looks unfinished to me. I'll be using the 60 turn signals like Flex in Japan does. It's only gonna be 3 pieces of sheet metal to add (per side) 2 for the fender and 1 in the valance. Cut weld grind bondo paint.

Heck , i might make template pieces of the sheet metal if there is enough interest in more people following Flex's style. Guess we'll see when I get mine finished.

I'm interested

yes but I don't think it looks good. It looks unfinished to me. I'll be using the 60 turn signals like Flex in Japan does. It's only gonna be 3 pieces of sheet metal to add (per side) 2 for the fender and 1 in the valance. Cut weld grind bondo paint.

Think it'll be that easy? I dunno. Seems like the 60 corner light isn't going to blend into the contours of the 80 fender/corner light. I think the square edges of the 60 light will stick out in the corners unless you do a lot of modifications to the fenders - if you want that seamless look. Lower valance seems simple to fix. The hard part will be those corner lights. I haven't compared in person so it may be easier than it seems in pics though.

RgQKrdd.jpg

I'm more inclined to think it's a 60+ year old with a good eye that pound them by hand or with minimal machine assistance. This is Japan, you get a million or you get a few really really nice ones. I have a knife made in this style that I love.

Leather top, wood trim side moldings, and orange film. Interesting how different markets like the small and unique tweaks on a theme.

I like how they pulled off the hucaps by cutting out the center and letting a chrome center cap stick through to cover the frontand rear hub. Clean idea!

I thought the translation to English on hdjdhub's link was :D

Man, if they made a kit available for the do it yourselfer, they'd sell a lot but then also lose their unique edge

Last edited:
Hmm my brain is having a hardtime wrapping around "The Wonder" it's kind of cool and looks like a classic but it also kind of looks so hodgepodge, like they couldn't decide what to do so they just started slapping stuff on and stopped after they got tired. I like the wheels, the 60 front end I can handle but the wood and leather roof seem out of place. Lol

I'm just gonna keep an open tab on my phone with Google image results for site:flexdream.jp they have so many awesome creations on there. I'd take the standard ARB bumper and snorkel in a heartbeat, but it's nice to see something other than the typical american approach to building a Land Cruiser. Not to mention some sweet Toyota vans I've never seen before that would make awesome campers. Just so many cool ideas and influences from another culture.

I just picked up a 60 series grill and headlight plastics for mock up yesterday. I think to do this right you need to do the 60 series valence too. Then you can have the option of running a 60 series Arb or Tjm or you could cut a bit off the bottom of the 60 valence and run an 80 series bumper.

IM0956_5_640x480_70.jpg
IM0956_4_640x480_70.jpg
NY1725_10_640x480_70.jpg

Unless people are more interested in the other style? I find it less complete but I guess if you added maybe a cross between the two you could make it work. The other style doesn't have the bevel around the corner lights or the add on piece on the hood either. I think it looks terrible with the stock bumper. I could potentially get conversion fenders replicated in FRP if anyone is interested. Depending on the direction could get the valence replicated too.

992933_221674144649978_928883761_n_zps104b03f5.jpg

30E930F330AF30EBFF18FF10_std_ab_CK2097_1_zps22f721a1.jpg

Last edited:
would a 60 bumper have worse approach angles, or do they work around the valance enough? I want it to look good, but I also don't want to go banging the bumper around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom