Third Annual Southeast 70 Series Meet & Greet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

trying to obtain my Wma permit, but it wont let me as a non Tennessee resident?
Please see post #356-359. If you have any additional questions, please give me a shout.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Camping.

I have received several emails and p.m.'s concerning our plans for evening meals. Saturday evening is our catered meal and raffle at the local Comfort Inn so Saturday's covered. Either Thursday or Friday we'll most likely cook burgers at one of the cabins and there is also the option of local restaurants. On previous visits, we ate at an Outback which is across the street from the Comfort Inn as well as a nearby wings and suds joint. I assure you that you will not go to bed any night hungry. :)

@Gun Runner 5 could you also shed some light on camping details? I apologize if I missed a post in the past, I tried going through the whole thread again, but quite possibly overlooked it.

@Gun Runner 5 could you also shed some light on camping details? I apologize if I missed a post in the past, I tried going through the whole thread again, but quite possibly overlooked it.
Sorry I can't provide more detailed information about the camping experience at Windrock. (My idea of roughing it is the 3rd floor of the Comfort Inn). Hopefully the information you seek is here or perhaps some of the others that are camping will reach out to you.
image.png

Last edited:
Ahh in that case, anyone interested in splitting a campsite?

Permits

Guys, bear with me as I have less than 2 weeks of employment left and my focus has been on job search, so I have not been on here much. I see there is some confusion on permits.

For Friday's ride which is more of an expo ride, we will be spending at least 70% of our time on the Royal Blue unit of Sundquist WMA. If we have time to make it to the WWII radar base, we will be closer to 50/50 on time and miles . What this means is for Friday, we will need two permits. Every person will have to have a Windrock permit and the driver will need at WMA permit.

Saturday will be 100% on Windrock, so every person will need a permit from Windrock only (no TWRA permit needed on Saturday).

Permit Info

For Friday, we will need both Windrock park and TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency) permits.
For Saturday, we will only need Windrock Park permits.

Windrock park permits are required for every person.

The TWRA permits are a little different. Only one person per vehicle needs one (and that probably
ought to be the driver).

Windrock permit information is here ...
Permits - Windrock Park

TWRA permits can be bought online here Go Outdoors Tennessee

The TWRA Permits are as follows (Passengers and children 12 and under ride FREE.)
TENNESSEE RESIDENT:
Daily Permit: Type 36, cost $18
Annual Pass: Type 1 plus Type 93, cost $56
Junior Annual (13+): Type 2 plus Type 93, cost $$35
NOTE: A sportsman license will cover your riding permit.

OUT OF STATE VISITOR:

Daily Permit: Type 38, cost $40
7 day Pass: Type 72 plus Type 93, cost $84
Annual Pass: Type 71 plus Type 93, cost $133
Junior Annual (13+): Type 70 plus Type 94, cost $36

Someone mentioned elk on Royal Blue. Yes, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and TWRA have successfully reintroduced elk to the area ... there is a hunt-able population now.

I have seen several elk while route scouting this summer ... but all have been on Windrock including a nice bull and a calf. So there is a real possibility of seeing some.

We will likely see and smell some deer. In August when I was there, it was evident that a blue tongue epidemic was starting and I saw several dead deer.

Last edited:
Permits

Guys, bear with me as I have less than 2 weeks of employment left and my focus has been on job search, so I have not been on here much. I see there is some confusion on permits.

For Friday's ride which is more of an expo ride, we will be spending at least 70% of our time on the Royal Blue unit of Sundquist WMA. If we have time to make it to the WWII radar base, we will be closer to 50/50 on time and miles . What this means is for Friday, we will need two permits. Every person will have to have a Windrock permit and the driver will need at WMA permit.

Saturday will be 100% on Windrock, so every person will need a permit.

Permit Info

For Friday, we will need both Windrock park and TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency) permits.
For Saturday, we will only need Windrock Park permits.

Windrock park permits are required for every person.

The TWRA permits are a little different. Only one person per vehicle needs one (and that probably
ought to be the driver).

Windrock permit information is here ...
Permits - Windrock Park

TWRA permits can be bought online here Go Outdoors Tennessee

The TWRA Permits are as follows (Passengers and children 12 and under ride FREE.)
TENNESSEE RESIDENT:
Daily Permit: Type 36, cost $18
Annual Pass: Type 1 plus Type 93, cost $56
Junior Annual (13+): Type 2 plus Type 93, cost $$35
NOTE: A sportsman license will cover your riding permit.

OUT OF STATE VISITOR:

Daily Permit: Type 38, cost $40
7 day Pass: Type 72 plus Type 93, cost $84
Annual Pass: Type 71 plus Type 93, cost $133
Junior Annual (13+): Type 70 plus Type 94, cost $36

Someone mentioned elk on Royal Blue. Yes, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and TWRA have successfully reintroduced elk to the area ... there is a hunt-able population now.

I have seen several elk while route scouting this summer ... but all have been on Windrock including a nice bull and a calf. So there is a real possibility of seeing some.

We will likely see and smell some deer. In August when I was there, it was evident that a blue tongue epidemic was starting and I saw several dead deer.

Ok now I am confused on the permit types. For out of state, you listed permit types 71, 72 and 93 . When I log in to the GoTennessee website those show up as some variation of small game hunting permits. The type 38 does show us as a daily OHV permit though. But I am confused about the other types you listed and how they are referenced in the license catalog.

TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency) is primarily focused on hunting and fishing licenses. In TN, they also run the OHV program, so it is easy to get confused.

For out of state folks, if you are only going to ride one day, get the Type 38.

The other permits are hunting licenses. If you need a longer time frame, that is the least expensive way to go. To be legal on the WMA, you need either a special riding permit or the appropriate hunting licenses (minimum general hunting license and a WMA permit). Works the same for residents ... Special use permit is cheapest for a single day, hunting license is cheapest for longer terms ...

Clear as mud, right

Sorry if I have added to the confusion. You ONLY need permit 38 (High Impact non resident 1day) to enter the WMA.
$37.00 + $3.00 processing.

Sorry if I have added to the confusion. You ONLY need permit 38 (High Impact non resident 1day) to enter the WMA.
$37.00 + $3.00 processing.
No problem. I should have actually paid attention to what I was doing.

If they don't refund me then I guess I'm going to have to go back when the Troopy shows up.

No problem. I should have actually paid attention to what I was doing.

If they don't refund me then I guess I'm going to have to go back when the Troopy shows up.
Now you know why @elkaholic post all of the important stuff and not me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom