The proper Cable Gland for routing a LED Bar cable through roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
Just purchased a led light bar and plan to install it under my ARB roof rack, in the space between the roof rack & roof. Instead of having it's cable routed through the gutter and then through to the inside, I am willing (reluctantly :nailbiting:) to drill in the roof, right above the rear view mirror console and route the cable through there to the interior of the truck. It has to be IP 67 or higher (i presume), low profile, heavy duty, Stainless Steel, Brass or Nickel Chrome plated as plastic would deteriorate in our hot climate.

Does any of you mudders out there have a good recommendation for such a gland ? Or has anyone.....been there, done that ?
Thanks

here is a info dump of items I have kept about this....

Waterproof Wire pass through

C:\Users\kbh\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

You can go out to DigiKey and be overwhelmed. Digi-Key Homepage Search for waterproof connectors in their search box. Be sure to set the In Stock flag.

As an example the Amphenol-Tuchel Electronics circular connectors are able to handle 5 Amps per pin. They are metal shelled DIN circular connectors. They have a screw in locking mechanism.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/dscf0024-jpg.575433/
Connector: Digi-Key - 361-1305-ND (Manufacturer - C091 31G004 100 2)

Mating right angle cable connector: Digi-Key - 361-1321-ND (Manufacturer - C091 31K004 100 2)

Mating straight cable connector: Digi-Key - 361-1286-ND (Manufacturer - C091 31H004 100 2)

All of them are available in single quantities. A disadvantage of the one I listed is the locking ring will be on the outside of your vehicle. Also I wasn't seeing a cover cap for when you don't have the cable connected. Being DIN it may be a generic item made by somebody other than Amphenol.

OK, starting out with an in stock cap...
C:\Users\kbh\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif

One of the ones I find are the 900 Series Buccaneer connectors from Bulgin. They are setup for power, 32 Amps per pin so we will just go for the 2 pin ones. If you want more circuits, you can get a connector with more pins. 2 pins per circuit. One pin for 12VDC positive, and one for ground.

The cap: Digi-Key - 708-1226-ND (Manufacturer - PX0970)

A bulkhead connector, slightly angled: Digi-Key - 708-1219-ND (Manufacturer - PX0941/02/S) Looks to be designed to be used with their bulkhead box: Digi-Key - 708-1224-ND (Manufacturer - PX0950)

straight version: Digi-Key - 708-1214-ND (Manufacturer - PX0941/02/P) Can be used alone.

Cable plug to go with the above: Digi-Key - 708-1189-ND (Manufacturer - PX0911/02/S)

There are many other options. These are just ones I very quickly found.

I hope this helps. Note: Digikey has a minimum order of something like $25. Under it you are assessed a $5 or handling fee.

"Never give a government a power you wouldn't want a despot to have." - John Gilmore

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/dscf0024-jpg.575433/

also check this out…

Mounting solar panels » Camperize.com

C:\Users\kbh\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.jpg

Tkx NuclearLemon,
From what I can see in the pic, you seem to have the LED bar mounted as I was planning, under the roof rack, is it ?
When you turn it on, does it reflect on the hood ? I guess a connector would be more practical if you want to remove it. I was thinking of passing the cable intact through a gland instead of using a connector (that is if I am able to get into the light and disconnect the cable from inside !). Otherwise I have no choice but to use a connector like you did.

I'm gonna run my thru the snorkel, no chance of a roof leak then

I sold mine more than a year ago, had the template on, the drill ready & changed my mind last minute, not many water-crossings here in our part of the world ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom