Builds The Oddball 80 - Middle East GX Renovation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everyone that has ever owned a 3FE truck should drive this thing to see how bad Toyota screwed us with the US spec FJ62/80

After having finished swapping my 1991 FJ80 to an H150F I can wholeheartedly second this. It:
  • feels hardly any slower than any other early 90's Toyota I've driven
  • gets reasonable fuel economy if you drive it nice
  • is a hoot to drive
  • can maintain highway speeds in various conditions without having to pay constant attention to it, almost like a normal car
It really is a transformation.

After having finished swapping my 1991 FJ80 to an H150F I can wholeheartedly second this. It:
  • feels hardly any slower than any other early 90's Toyota I've driven
  • gets reasonable fuel economy if you drive it nice
  • is a hoot to drive
  • can maintain highway speeds in various conditions without having to pay constant attention to it, almost like a normal car
It really is a transformation.
Yep. Super nice transmission. Love it

One thing I don’t love though is the hybrid nature of my wiring harness since the EFI was added after the fact. There are random things like a motocraft buzzer tapped in and the wiring location. I normally just try not to look up in there but my brake switch went out so I’m digging. Relooming stuff.

DEDB3B40-766E-4E2F-A003-8A86311766BD.jpeg

D839169E-863D-404F-9D3A-5088479DAE65.jpeg

Yep. Super nice transmission. Love it
You may have merntioned this earlier, but overall would you say it’s more fun to drive than an FJ60? What about capability off-road?

Is there any other model/configuration of Land Cruiser you’d rather drive?

Anyway, this thread is really a joy to read. Can’t imagine the joy of owning it.

You may have merntioned this earlier, but overall would you say it’s more fun to drive than an FJ60? What about capability off-road?

Is there any other model/configuration of Land Cruiser you’d rather drive?

Anyway, this thread is really a joy to read. Can’t imagine the joy of owning it.

I think this is the most enjoyable truck to drive I own or have ever owned.

It has the feel of an early Land Cruiser but the suspension and steering are so nice. I have my 60 suspension extremely dialed in but it still has body roll that this 80 does not have.

One key to the way this particular 80 feels is I think I really have the power/weight ratio perfect. The 34” tires get me the rubber overdrive that the H150 lacks in true overdrive so I can keep it under 3000 and run 80 mph.

I don’t have heavy bumpers and racks to cause excess body roll.

Engine is fully desmogged and it spins through the gears super nice.

One day I’ll take it over the scales and see what it actually weighs versus a US model.

It has the feel of an early Land Cruiser but the suspension and steering are so nice.
Exactly what I was after when I bought my “poverty pack” 80. I chose to go with a 1HD-FT diesel, but I understand that’s not everyone’s thing.

Love your ‘Cruiser!

Last edited:
Exactly what I was after when I bought my “poverty pack” 80. I chose to go with a 1HD-FT diesel, but I understand that’s not everyone’s thing.

Love your ‘Cruiser!

So, if anyone had ever said “Nolen, one day you will love the 3FE” I promise you, I would have bet 6 figures against that.

I cussed this one up one shop wall and down the other when I started fixing it up but now that it’s right it’s excellent.

So had I had the choice of motors I assure you I would never have chosen this one. Now that I have it though….

So, if anyone had ever said “Nolen, one day you will love the 3FE” I promise you, I would have bet 6 figures against that.

I cussed this one up one shop wall and down the other when I started fixing it up but now that it’s right it’s excellent.

So had I had the choice of motors I assure you I would never have chosen this one. Now that I have it though….
They're dead reliable and very decent especially after desmog and the 9 billion weirdly routed hoses are dealt with. Really the only knock against them is they are the less desirable of two engine options for US 80s - that doesn't make them bad though, far from it.

That is a 95. Ex-Gov truck. has 160K KM. Original everything and very clean. It's too bad that the front end got sand blasted during a sand storm on this trip.

That stripe is 95 GX trim specific.

Few more cool pics of this rig here:

Not sure what dead pedal is.

Plastic "pedal" (foot rest) on the extreme left side of the footwell, used for resting your left foot when it's not "clutching" (or doing SFA with an auto). My manual HDJ81 had one.

Loaded up the OddBall for a final Spring camping trip to Arkansas.
D238EA40-8A7A-4791-B8C2-19AB6AA4B929.jpeg

Fixed my door handle bezel
3800B19A-B2B6-4ECA-9DF7-40687CD9DE48.jpeg

More later. Should be a great weekend
8F687825-EF34-4CDA-A2A1-31CDAA8DAE25.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom