The new Yota No.6 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back end sure did rise up without 100lbs of spare and stock bumper back there.

Dang, sure did, but that new bumper is a beast and squatted her down nice! Is that a custom built or off the shelf item? Looking good!

Custom built rear bumper guy was downsizing his rig so his daughter could drive it. I tried to buy a few other things from him but it was a no go. Trying to find things local has proved to be difficult. Still looking for a front bumper.

Trying to get my brakes sorted out. Got the rear axle seals and rear brakes done this past weekend.

I still have a spongy pedal. Did front brakes today. (Went with stock because of $, I bought and returned the Tundra brakes.) I think my master cylinder is toast. But when it does build up a little pressure when u hold it it sinks. I went through similar in my 80 a few years back. (I ended up replacing master and booster in it.)

I bought a master to install but want to make sure it's not my booster? Or both? Just hoping to make it to the annual meeting on Saturday.

I plan to try to get the master on tomorrow unless I hear otherwise.

Update:

Did a little surgery on the 4runner a few weeks ago:
P9280199.jpg

No accident, just prepping for this:
P9280200.jpg

It needs some cleaning up, a repaint and a few other things, but for the $ I couldn't turn it down.
Went camping after UC's annual meeting and ran up to NC in the T100 and finally picked up a front bumper for the 4runner.

Working on getting some brackets as this one was modified for a 2" BL on a Taco.
P9280201.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

Ghetto rigged so planning to get them reworked and done right.

Planning to rework my tranny cooler mounting:
P9280204.jpg

P9280206.jpg

P9280207.jpg

The fleet for now. (Sport Trac is my parents, we are doing a little work to it for them.) Hoping I can get some $ for an old car in the next few years. I'm starting to miss my old cars.
august2006027.jpg

may07075.jpg

Progress:

FFF7CD32-FFC3-48CA-A7AD-D460C87FD8CD-304-000000EE449C6B60.jpg

A7919596-2A8D-40C7-A5DA-A81A2800816C-304-000000EE4A3F9F83.jpg

3CB8B7CD-5D0A-4C25-A75F-ACA7F6D7BE7B-388-000000F6EE39C5C0.jpg

Sure is nice working at a Technical College. :)

Plan to finish it up tomorrow. Its about as close as you can get it considering I didnt really have any decent brackets with it. I think it looks good though, its up nice and close, with just enough clearance for flexing/movement.

Then I can clean it up some and hopefully get it looking as nice as the rest of the truck. Hope to be able to have it on for the BRP run this weekend! :bounce:

Saturday? were you there saturday? How did I miss a bright green 45 :D

Truck is looking great Matt! the folks on the trail were gawking at the flex as we got on the trail. PS your driver brake light needs replacing ;)

Thanks. I need to get a few flex pics, the rear does really well. Thanks for the heads up on the brake light. Still having some brake issues, hope to get them sorted this week. My tranny cooler started leaking as well, must have not gotten everything tightened well after I had to relocate it for the bumper install. It was good to get out and actually wheel a little.

I never posted pics from when we went out a few months back:
5144B036-6301-44A3-9E63-F89749C0E15C-666-0000009F7215A28A.jpg

9090A1F9-C376-4747-8AFA-F9ED4C39DEA0-666-0000009F62414F7C.jpg

E40E7B7E-67C7-421E-83BC-B0C2563C0107-666-0000009F6AD8A877.jpg

Bumper installed finally:
IMG_2083_zps314d9837.jpg

Sanded it down and painted it with gloss black, looked so much better:
IMG_2120_zps50cb0884.jpg

IMG_2121_zpse560c41e.jpg

IMG_2122_zps08d74e51.jpg

More recent updates I now have the Lightforce 240s installed on the 4runner.
IMG_2423_zps41422e86.jpg

Just bought this from a guy on toyota-4runner.org
DNX71002_zpsb08ba06d.jpg

DNX7100_zpse15ddbfc.jpg

Also includes a backup camera which will work well with the tire blocking almost all rear viewing. ;)

I also bought a few cans of silver spray paint for the bumpers, may try that in the next few weeks if it ever dries up and stays warm enough for paint to dry.

We also had a great Christmas!
IMG_2441_zps1470d8a6.jpg

Last edited:
Love the 4runner! Where did you find those swaybar disconnects?

Mr. Norris,
I am honored that you would comment on my thread. You are one of my heros and I watched you on Wlaker Texas Ranger every Saturday night growing up! What part of WA or you in? We were out there this past summer on a road trip, beautiful state!

Guy on one of the forums had the discos. They are actually still sitting in my garage. :) I need to fab up something for the rear as it is pulled off for now and I would like to stiffen it up as my wife drives it 90% of the time.

HU is installed but cannot seem to find the reverse signal wire to trigger the backup camera. Waiting on a little more $ so I can order the rear monitor(s) for the kids.

Had to jump start her a few times after using the headlights for 45 min or so. New battery may be in the works before too much longer. Thinking DieHard Platinum maybe dual batteries if I can find the $.

Mr. Norris,
I am honored that you would comment on my thread. You are one of my heros and I watched you on Wlaker Texas Ranger every Saturday night growing up! What part of WA or you in? We were out there this past summer on a road trip, beautiful state!

Guy on one of the forums had the discos. They are actually still sitting in my garage. :) I need to fab up something for the rear as it is pulled off for now and I would like to stiffen it up as my wife drives it 90% of the time.

HU is installed but cannot seem to find the reverse signal wire to trigger the backup camera. Waiting on a little more $ so I can order the rear monitor(s) for the kids.

Had to jump start her a few times after using the headlights for 45 min or so. New battery may be in the works before too much longer. Thinking DieHard Platinum maybe dual batteries if I can find the $.

I'm in SW WA near Portland, it's definitely a beautiful state. The weather can be annoying at times but I guess there has to be some trade-offs.

That's a great deal on the disconnects, it would cost about that much in parts alone to build them which is what I was planning on doing. If some more popped up at that price I'd be all over them!

And for your reverse signal wire... the neutral safety switch is on the side of the transmission, you could get a signal from there. Or possibly from the signal wire to the Reverse dash indicator light, though I would be a bit wary of messing with that circuit.

Another question for you: what kind of mileage hit did you take with the 255s on 4.30s? I'm still debating what tire/gear combination I want to do on mine. Thanks!

Mileage runs ~16mpg I think the bumpers take a good chunk of that. If I stay with the 255s I may go to 4.88 down the road. But the way things are now with my wife driving it a majority of the time it is more likely I will go to 265/75/16 or similar in an AT style tread. Time will tell.

Hey Matt, did you ever swap your LBJ and TRE? Did you replace all bushings too? Our front tires are wearing out on inside edge prematurely and severely, looks like camber issue. I align, rotate, and pressure check regularly so I need to track it down in front suspension components. Looking at t4r, seems that LBJ or saggy spring might be the issue.

BTW i'm sure you've see this, real build starts p.11, pretty sick
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/94282-v8-conversion.html

I replaceed upper and lower BJ and outer TRE before our trip this summer. All new parts from RH Toyota. I went ahead and did everything because my job does labor for $5 per shop trip. ;)

I upgraded lower BJ and outer TRE to Tacoma parts. They are beefy but they do reduce your turning radius. In hindsight I probably would have just went back with the 4runner components, but I really hope I get the 4runner back for myself once my wife moves to a larger vehicle. At that point I'll hopefully wheel and camp in it more as well as add a few more goodies.

We have some front end issues going on now too. I think its shocks as I bought these Bilsteins used. I also have a front passenger axle/cv that needs replaced, my front tires are getting a little cupped/choppy (every other lug), I am really hoping that the inner TRE are ok because they are $$. ($130 or so ea.) Inners were fine last July but we have 20K miles since then. I also have the poly steering rack mounts sitting in my garage as I have heard that can clear up some slop in the steering.

I have looked at coilovers for the front (~$500+), but it sounds like for the type of wheeling that most of us do the OME setup is best for longevity, etc. ($200 ish as I already have the springs.) Now if I can just find a good deal on some new or nearly new OME fronts. (I actually need rears too, but someone in UC mentioned having some 80 takeoffs, which is what I am running now, but drivers rear is blown.)

I have not seen that build of a 3rd gen v8. Guy we sold our old '97 4runner to said that was what it was getting as well. I haven't seen pictures of it yet.

I replaceed upper and lower BJ and outer TRE before our trip this summer. All new parts from RH Toyota. I went ahead and did everything because my job does labor for $5 per shop trip. ;)

I upgraded lower BJ and outer TRE to Tacoma parts. They are beefy but they do reduce your turning radius. In hindsight I probably would have just went back with the 4runner components, but I really hope I get the 4runner back for myself once my wife moves to a larger vehicle. At that point I'll hopefully wheel and camp in it more as well as add a few more goodies.

We have some front end issues going on now too. I think its shocks as I bought these Bilsteins used. I also have a front passenger axle/cv that needs replaced, my front tires are getting a little cupped/choppy (every other lug), I am really hoping that the inner TRE are ok because they are $$. ($130 or so ea.) Inners were fine last July but we have 20K miles since then. I also have the poly steering rack mounts sitting in my garage as I have heard that can clear up some slop in the steering.

I have looked at coilovers for the front (~$500+), but it sounds like for the type of wheeling that most of us do the OME setup is best for longevity, etc. ($200 ish as I already have the springs.) Now if I can just find a good deal on some new or nearly new OME fronts. (I actually need rears too, but someone in UC mentioned having some 80 takeoffs, which is what I am running now, but drivers rear is blown.)

I have not seen that build of a 3rd gen v8. Guy we sold our old '97 4runner to said that was what it was getting as well. I haven't seen pictures of it yet.

In my opinion coilovers are total waste of cash on these things. They don't seem to flex or ride significantly better. Nowhere near what they cost, the dollar per performance is way off. Also return those poly bushings and go back with oem rubber stuff. Poly is not as good as rubber. I tried the poly stuff in my runner and it ate right through them wheeling. 1 day at Harlan completely trashed the big bushings that wraps around the rack.

I purchased a lift from Ripcord over on 4runner.org finally got the tears swapped out this weekend.

Bilsteing 5125 rear shocks and OME 890 rear springs. Ride is much improved and height with no extra weight dropped an inch or do. Height with added weight should be about the same as my old LC coild/shock setup. But my shocks in the rear needed replacement.

I hope to swap in the front OME shocks and 883 before OTMT in 2weeks. I still have the front wiggle but I think it's my tires. I've been looking at a few different all terrain styles on 265/75/16. Hoping to get some ride comfort and MPG back. We just do not wheel enough to justify the 255/85/16 KM2s.

We road tripped to the beach last week. Loaded down with Yakima Rocketbox and everything but the kitchen sink. We had a good time. Looking forward to OTMT and a road trip up to KY and OH this fall with the family.
After me pointing out several 100 series on our trip to the beach my wife mentioned that we need a larger vehicle on our next purchase. Before someone gets excited that we are about to get back into a cruiser…she is talking about something larger than a 100. I mentioned my diesel 15 passenger van idea. She's fine with it. So it may turn out that I finally get my dream van. If you think I'm nuts check out U-joint Offroad up in Asheville. He does some great work on vans.

Changed valve cover gasket and all associated parts (alot more parts than you would think)

Hey Matt, hope all is well!

I wanted to follow your lead and do our valve cover gasket on the T4R. Can you elaborate on the other misc parts you replaced. Do you still have the Part Numbers for them and does this seem to fit what you did? Anything I left off?

VC gasket: 11213-62020 (x2)

VC bolt gasket (washer seal): 90210-05007 (x16)

Spark plug tube gaskets: 11193‑70010 (x6)

Camshaft rear plug: 11188‑62010 (x2)

PCV valve: 12204-62010 (x1)

PCV grommet: 90480-18001 (x1)

FIPG: 00295-00103 (x1)

Thanks!
Joel

That list looks right. I would also order the half moons that fit into the head front and rear. They are reusable but I had one break on me and I had to silicone it up really well. No leaks but i would have replaced if i had had one on hand. Also get 3 or 4 cans of brake cleaner and/or some degreaser. This is a good time to do plugs and wires.

How soon are you wanting to get this done? I still need to do the drivers side and both on my T100. Maybe we could knock them all out together?

Are you going to make it to Logan's Run or any other UC events soon? It's getting to be nice weather for some camping. I know my kids have asked a few times about going again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom