The new Yota No.6 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Edit: I may be wrong, the stupid ratio part of the equation probably means they are all about the same size. I think the 285 may still be the larger (width and height) of the 3.

255/85/16 at least in the BFG brand are actually the tallest of the 3. 285 has the width. I'm just thinking MPG vs. DD, etc. When I get sliders and maybe skids I don't know that there is anything I would be willing to wheel that would make a difference on the size tires I am looking at. I have one offer for a set of used 265 BFG's waiting to hear back from a few other options. (265 Bridgestone Revos and 265 Cooper ATPs)

I think the 285s would "look" best with the 16x8 rims but not sure I want to go there. Kicking myself for actually taking initiative to put on the 2" BL a few weekends ago. Oh well its not too hard to swap back.

I sold the 4 used 315'ss to JP this week. Have an agreement with someone to buy my 255's. Trying to sell the one new 315 now. If I get it and the Super Duty rims sold I should be doing well. Had a guy flag me down today who wanted to buy the topper off of the T100. Considering calling him back.

I am averaging about 19 mpg on my 265/75's. I don't have the extra weight from armor that you do, but I do have that bumper I mentioned, so I should be able to tell how that affects things once it goes on the front.

285s were the worst thing I did to my runner. Once you do that you may as well have an 80. Similar fuel mileage without the strength. I couldn't keep my runner together on them. Rear ring and pinion, then front. Rack bushings wore quickly. Had no power. I loved that thing on 265s but 285s killed it

Got the Tundra Brake swap done while visiting my parents in Florence for Thanksgiving. Everything with the swap went smooth, would have been smoother if the pads Advance says fir a '04 Tundra would have actually fit. Went to the store on BF and swapped them out. I think I found my current brake fluid leak too, the MC I bought last year. :(

On way to FLorence I noticed a strong vibration ~ 75 MPH, figured it was a tire out of balance. Got brakes done and headed out on BF for home strong vibration at 65 and almost constant vibration driving After stoping multiple times to check things, going to the State Museum on the way home and turning more frequently in downtown Cola it started making popping noises on turns, etc. I thought maybe I blew a CV axle while drooping the arms to swap the brakes. Ended u taking it easy on the way home getting flown by on I26 while I was going 60.
Got home started looking up a few more things on my phone and think it may be a ujoint, the popping while turning had me thrown for a loop. Well I climb under the 4runner saturday AM and the DC on the rear drive shaft has tons of play. More research online tells me its a toss up on rebuilding it myself. After talking/texting with several people I decide to pull the shaft and take it Monday for it to be rebuilt.

So for now I'm rolling a FWD 4runner.

Did I mention that the Tundra brake upgrade is awesome?

I was able to get a new used rear driveshaft from Reed's in Easley for $100. I called Cline Co. but they could not give a general estimate over the phone or a time frame, so I had to go the JY route.
I got everything swapped over and vibes are gone. Good to know that my tires and front suspension are good as I though it may be either of those originally.

Brake swap in progress:

I went with the 231mm calipers, new brake hose on pass side, leaving only the rear flex brake line as the only part in the brake system I have not replaced other than the hard lines. I did find a leak in the master cyl that I replaced last year. Thankfully it has a lifetime warranty.

Advance Auto part #'s
Calipers: SLC9950 and SLC9951
Rotors: Wearever - YH145291
Pad's: Originally ordered Wearever Ceramic CNAD 906 but these were wrong.
Brake line: I have had for awhile, when you buy one be sure that the ends match the factory style. Circle with the sides cut off and not the hex style as they will not mount into the factory mount and clip.
I am going to have to dig for the pads I went with as replacements, they seem to be producing a lot of brake dust, but only time will tell.

Now it is time to get the BL pulled off and the front suspension swapped over (I have some OME shocks and springs in the garage) and find some 265/75/16s to mount onto my Enduro XD rims. 265s seem to be harder to find in good shape used with enough tread to mess with.

Last edited:
Installed new front shocks and springs a month or so back. Huge improvement in ride comfort.

OME and 883's

Then finally found a deal on some new tires to mount up on the XD Enduros that I bought 3 or 4 months back. I couldn't justify paying $600 + for tires and people with used sets wanted almost as much I wanted to spend on a new set. After being patient I go a set of 265/75/16 Cooper AT3's for <$400 shipped to my door. Got them to mount them up at work so I'm rolling on a new set of rims and tires for <$800.

Before:

After:

Now I really need to pull that 2" BL off. Also need to find a buyer for my old 255's and factory 5 star rims.
Just rolled 230K last week and purring along, average MPG is back up to ~ 16mpg and comfort is way up between the new shocks/springs and the new tire combo.

Dark colored 80? I've seen a dark one around some. I work at PTC but my wife drives the 4runner 95% of the time.

Exhaust broke off just ahead of the cats sounds like the cool kids in J**p Cherokees now. Time to figure out some exhaust.

Went to Harbor Freight parking lot sale this morning. Finally bought a hitch basket.

Had a helper to put it together too. :bounce:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439077264.576953.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439077289.202739.jpg

Made it over to Gulches with a friend of mine. Had the most fun on 56? Made me miss my km2s these 32" Cooper ATs were ok but we're a little short on a few things.

He's got a nice 40 on 35's.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439077347.965959.jpg

Gulches is about 30 min from my house. Might end up over there more often sure beats driving 3hrs+ each way to wheel.

Got a few videos uploaded not sure why quality is so bad. I was using a Gopro hero2 on the 980 setting.

Me trying a harder line on trail 56. 35s and possibly a front locker would have gotten me over.

Who's the guy with the 40? My mom saw it at lowes the other day.

Got the 4Runner front end aligned on Thursday. Was thinking I may need to replace some items but they said it was just way out of alignment. We will see once I get the replacement tires. I think the steering rack or inner tie rod end might be bad as I'm still getting some vibration. One tire is worn bad so maybe the tire is my issue. Might rotate to try and isolate.

Picked this up on Saturday.

Found it over on NC4x4.
Definitely needs work but figured it would help us with how much stuff we haul in the 4Runner on trips.

Met up with my friend Troy in Belmont and we headed over near Uwharrie to pick it up.

Ended up being a little farther than I thought but was a good trip.

Alignment wont cause vibration, its either a drivetrain e.g. u-joints/ driveshaft at 40-50 mph or tires at 55+ mph

Man, I love that trailer. Any major plans other than fixing it up?

Got the 4Runner front end aligned on Thursday. Was thinking I may need to replace some items but they said it was just way out of alignment. We will see once I get the replacement tires. I think the steering rack or inner tie rod end might be bad as I'm still getting some vibration. One tire is worn bad so maybe the tire is my issue. Might rotate to try and isolate.

Picked this up on Saturday.

Found it over on NC4x4.
Definitely needs work but figured it would help us with how much stuff we haul in the 4Runner on trips.

Met up with my friend Troy in Belmont and we headed over near Uwharrie to pick it up.

Ended up being a little farther than I thought but was a good trip.

I saw that on CL in NC also.... Glad that a follow Mudder picked it up.

In case you need it Trailer Parts has parts, including a complete replacement floor panel for $475.

Alignment wont cause vibration, its either a drivetrain e.g. u-joints/ driveshaft at 40-50 mph or tires at 55+ mph
I'm worried it may be both. Hoping to get tires in the next week or so. Worst case I order from Discount Tire as they are running a similar special to how I bought my current set. $100 rebate on a good many sets.

Man, I love that trailer. Any major plans other than fixing it up?
Nothing too crazy. Get it where I can use it is it for now. Budget build as usual for me. I like the idea of a lid and maybe some camping storage. Would love a RTT but not sure I'll find one in my budget.

I saw that on CL in NC also.... Glad that a follow Mudder picked it up.

In case you need it Trailer Parts has parts, including a complete replacement floor panel for $475.
Thanks for the info. I think this one is a little too far gone for a all original resto. Might run a plywood floor for now. Eventually plan to get a truck bed cut out and welded into the floor. Unless someone has a just as good but less expensive idea.

How much is a sheet of metal for the floor? Would have to be cheaper than a whole truck bed.

Yeah, just buy a plain sheet of steel and weld it in. Ply wood will need to be replaced pretty fast anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom