The new Yota No.6 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
Great pics, you can't appreciate the drop off in the dash video but the pics are sweet! Cheers to your spotters.

Thanks Beno, pcv hose IS hard as rock! ;)

Matt, no hurry from my side. I work so slow though that it'd take a week to do 5 covers! LOL...embarrassing really. Many hands make light work though. Yes looking forward to some camping and rides soon. Been a crazy year for me with no fun had.

On another note, weren't you looking for Yakima Q tower lock housing retaining clips (horseshoes)? How many? I'm gonna order 4 ($5 at etrailer) and I'm sure shipping would be the same for a double order. Let me know.

I do need 2 of those retaining clips. I also need 2 Q tower base pads. I think model A. Let me know how much they are, I am watching a few on ebay, but would be up for ordering some if I can get it all from the same place.

I'm not the fastest, but it always goes quicker with help. We should be able to get through at least 3 in a Saturday, maybe even all 5? I am sure we could get them all done if we had extra hands to help.

PM me your address, I have 2 retaining clips for you.

Still working on the pads.

I can wait until the annual to get the clips if you are going to be there. I hope to have at least 2 kids with me as well. Maybe your little man can come too?

Looking like I may get the 4runner back as my DD in the next few months. Looking like I may put up my T100 FS soon. Looking into finally buying a full size Diesel van. Im looking for a 97-03 Ford 7.3 with the Extended Back and barn doors on the side. We are open to cargo, conversion, or passenger vans. Prefer 200K miles or less and no rust. Trying to stay $5K or less unless it is already fixed up or really low miles.

OK back to the 4runner:
One of few complaints I have about the 3rd gen 4runner is fuel capacity. I can get ~ 200 miles out of a tank, its annoying to fill up 3x+ in a single day if your road tripping.
I started awhile ago looking into AUX fuel tanks. I thought I found an option that a guy on Portal was
selling but he did not want to ship. So I found this on Expo:
th_03003_DSC07556_122_614lo.jpg

Thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/15338-Adding-a-Fuel-tank-for-longer-range

Looks like it may be a decent affordable option and at a minimum double my fuel capacity and if I went with the larger 38 Gallon tank it would increase it almost 3x. I think the 18 gallon F150 tank might be the best option, considering weight and how much it hangs below the frame rails. I still have a 1" and 2" BL but not so sure I want to install it anymore as tire size might decrease as well. If I can find a tank in a JY then I think I should be able to get this done for $200 or less.

Any input/willingness to help get this done? My spare is already on the rear bumper, so that is one major hurdle already cleared.

That's a lot of fuel, which adds a lot of weight, which is the real mileage killer for these rigs. You'll need stiffer rear springs and shocks to keep the rig under control.

200 miles per tank is really low though... how heavy are your bumpers? And your 33s are E rated, right? Those are really killing the mileage. I'd look at lightening the rig as well as swapping to 4.56s if you want to run 33s.

No clue what the bumpers weigh, rear is heavy for sure. I'm running 4.30 now with basically 34's. IMHO switching to 4.56 wouldn't be worth the $. Not really sure how to lighten it up, its not loaded with tools, spares etc on a regular basis, just 4 kids and my wife driving. I still need sliders and might get Bud Built or the like skid plates eventually as well so thats more weight. I have a winch in the garage thats not installed too.....

Im probably going back to 32s to get a few MPG back. I average 16mpg or so which I think is good considering what it is and how built it is, etc. My light comes on early which is a common issue with 3rd gens thats one reason its ~200 miles. I could add airbags to the rear springs if weight with an extra tank gets to be an issue. Having that ~400 mile range like my T100 has would be perfect.

No clue what the bumpers weigh, rear is heavy for sure. I'm running 4.30 now with basically 34's. IMHO switching to 4.56 wouldn't be worth the $. Not really sure how to lighten it up, its not loaded with tools, spares etc on a regular basis, just 4 kids and my wife driving. I still need sliders and might get Bud Built or the like skid plates eventually as well so thats more weight. I have a winch in the garage thats not installed too.....

Im probably going back to 32s to get a few MPG back. I average 16mpg or so which I think is good considering what it is and how built it is, etc. My light comes on early which is a common issue with 3rd gens thats one reason its ~200 miles. I could add airbags to the rear springs if weight with an extra tank gets to be an issue. Having that ~400 mile range like my T100 has would be perfect.

Gotcha, I was thinking that you were running the tank dry for 200 miles. To hit 300 I have to run mine pretty low. But I don't have the gas light issue.

I think that going to some C-rated 32s (not Ds or Es!) will really help your mileage. Just be careful with Duratracs, the sidewalls suck in rocks. But with that tire weight and size reduction helping your mileage, the extra tank would be even more beneficial.

Airbags would definitely hold the weight. Maybe set up an automated controller? Then you won't have to adjust it halfway through your trip?

It just seems to me that 4runners and Tacos are really sensitive to added weight and reduced aerodynamics. Speaking of which... if you aren't using the roof rack, pulling that would help too. The factory bars don't hurt mileage much but aftermarket stuff does.

Last edited:
I think that going to some C-rated 32s (not Ds or Es!) will really help your mileage. Just be careful with Duratracs, the sidewalls suck in rocks. But with that tire weight and size reduction helping your mileage, the extra tank would be even more beneficial.

Looks like in the sizes I am looking at E's are only 5lbs more per tire. I usually go with what I can get a deal on. Found a set of Cooper AT3 235/85/16 E's for a good deal. I was hoping for 265/75/16 but I cannot complain based on price. Probably going to pull the trigger this week.

It just seems to me that 4runners and Tacos are really sensitive to added weight and reduced aerodynamics. Speaking of which... if you aren't using the roof rack, pulling that would help too. The factory bars don't hurt mileage much but aftermarket stuff does.

I actually pulled the bars off last week to see how it affected milage and i needed to pick up some extra Q tower pads so I could run a rack on my T100. I usually do not run the basket, just put it up there the week before the trip so I could reach a few things around the house. (I don't own a ladder and having a 7'+ tall vehicle comes in handy with outside projects. (Getting frisbee off the roof and rescuing our new kitten out of a tree to be more specific.)

If you ever want to lose the extra weight of that rear bumper, let me know. ;)

Will do. I want to redesign the swing out but haven't decided what/how.

(Adjust tire further to passenger side and redo latching system add a jerry can/cooler holder on another swingout or add them to the current swing out.??)

Welding shop here at school wasn't too keen on adding any more weight to the current swingout.

I picked these up last night after work. Gotta love Craigslist!

5 Total 315/75/16 BFG ATs on Super Duty 8x170mm rims
1 new, 2 ~ 50%, 2~ 25%

I am either going to sell the super duty rims or possibly keep them to run on my van once I convert it to 4x4. (Gotta buy a van first too. ;)

I finally got my spidertrax spacers from Jim C at Logans Run, so now all I need to do is find another set of spacers, install the 2" BL I have in the garage, finally swap over to my new front suspension setup then I can get the tires mounted up and front end aligned. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for another new or close to it 315.

After I get everything mounted up I'll have to figure out getting my front and rear bumpers adjusted for the BL and start shopping for sliders. Flat belly or close to it and skids will be before too long. I'm going to stick with the 4.30 gears for now unless I see a deal on some 4.88s.

Nice. For the 4 runner right?
So are the 255s going to be available soon? If so you know I will take em.

I now have 3 of these on the way from eBay in 6 lug.
cbXD1227.png
First one came while typing this. Fastest shipping ever, I bought it yesterday afternoon off eBay seller was in ATL, came before 10:30 am today!!!

Waiting on a response from Best Offer on a 4th rim.

If anyone knows of a new or near new 315/75/16 BFG AT I need one. Will also consider more than one for the right price.

Nice. For the 4 runner right?
So are the 255s going to be available soon? If so you know I will take em.

Yes for the 4runner, I'll contact you you about them. Hoping to sell them as a set with rims.

Second guessing the 315 idea....going to think on it. My wife isn't so sure about switching vehicles and honestly we don't "need" to, just my usual urge to change things up. It was also great to take the T100 out camping this weekend at the annual made me appreciate a few things more.

Considering 265/75/16, 255/85/16 and 285/75/16. Honestly leaning towards the 265s, I'm so indecisive.

I have 265 BFG ATs on the 80 now. I'm sending a PM

I have 265 bfg AT's on my 3rd gen and like them. When I wear these out I will probably go back with the same size, but may go with a different style. I have a slight rub on the passenger side, but have a set of 99 highlander coils and toytec top-side spacers to go on sometime. Hoping to end up about an inch over stock once the Shrockworks is mounted.

I think a 285 might be what your looking for. 255 to 315 is a decent jump, but 255 to 285 would probably fill the wheelwells nicely.

Edit: I may be wrong, the stupid ratio part of the equation probably means they are all about the same size. I think the 285 may still be the larger (width and height) of the 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom