The Moonshine Motel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

are you going to install some solar panels?

Absolutely, but not that brand, that's crazy expensive per watt.

Residential panels are way cheaper. Even if they're not as dense, I have nearly 30' of roof to fill if I want.

Window installed in the entrance door, roof mostly insulated, battery relocation started. Good afternoon.

PXL_20211226_195544670.jpg

PXL_20211226_201848878.jpg

PXL_20211226_202212721.jpg

PXL_20211226_202244174.jpg
PXL_20211226_213916396.MP.jpg
PXL_20211226_213920235.jpg

Fridge installed, battery relocation finished, working on inverter install.

PXL_20211228_173906996.jpg
PXL_20211228_163922975.jpg
PXL_20211228_163926186.jpg

How many extra fuses are you gonna keep in the box? Askin for a friend...

Zero. Wire and fused for 130a, but the bms cuts off at 120a within 3ms.

Inverter in and working. Pretty stoked, but it was a challenge to get it all to fit. Lots of wires in a very small cabinet.

PXL_20211229_155222562.MP.jpg

PXL_20211229_203700065.jpg

PXL_20211229_203649986.jpg

Installed an outlet for the fridge/cooktop.

PXL_20211229_203708901.jpg

While playing around with switching things with the inverter, I turned on the rooftop Ac and ended up popping the temporary 50a ANL fuse protecting the battery. The permanent 130a fuse is en route, but it was exciting to see everything 120v running off the batteries for a bit :D

PXL_20211229_192103797.jpg

are you going to have to vent the batteries to the out side?

are you going to have to vent the batteries to the out side?

Nope, they're sealed. There is a potential for venting during a failure scenario, think physical damage, but it just spews lithium polymer, not hydrochloric acid like lead acid batteries.

All these need is to be in an enclosed box.

With a new 130a ANL fuse, everything is working as expected. This display allows me to see what the inverter is doing and set settings. Nice to finally be able to use it!

PXL_20220104_134811794.MP.jpg

PXL_20220104_134820540.MP.jpg

Took it camping a couple of weeks ago, woke up to snow:

1643649415885.png

Waited three days for the snow to melt (it didn't) and it was a dumpster fire getting out, lol. @SFROMAN saving my ass as usual :lol:

1643649431066.png

1643649442519.png

Just got back last night from a trip to Winter Park + Daytona Beach FL to visit a buddy and see the rolex 24.

Camped at my buddy's shop:

1643649504974.png

1643649514527.png

Discovered an issue with the diesel genset. Turned it on and ran it for a few hours, but it was not producing voltage, or at least my inverter was not detecting it. Not sure why, so I'll need to do some investigating on that front.

Hopefully it's a wiring problem I caused, and not that the generator doesn't generate, lol.

After being at the rolex this weekend, it was decided that the motel needs a rooftop observation deck. This style is what I like, with the formed sheet supporting the entire length of the deck structure. Should be pretty easy to knock together the main deck, then a ladder that comes off and slides under the trailer, and pop-up railings for the deck. Shade of some sort would be nice as well.

1643649581592.png

Love the rooftop observation deck!! I used to work for Nextel/Sprint and our Cellsite On Wheels (COW's) had observation decks. We used them for mast/antenna set-up but also watched a few races from up there as well...

Nextel NASCAR trailer.jpg

Love the rooftop observation deck!! I used to work for Nextel/Sprint and our Cellsite On Wheels (COW's) had observation decks. We used them for mast/antenna set-up but also watched a few races from up there as well...

Super cool!! Any tips or advice? What features of them (the roof top decks) did you like/not like, etc.

We had two fleets (A & B) that leap-frogged the schedule to allow for a week set-up. They were all constructed at the same time and were pretty much identical so I didn't get to see multiple different configurations. The guard rails folded up/down easily and were super easy to pin in the corners to keep them up. In fact, the transportation company would set them up a lot of the time (to help out) just because they were easy enough to deploy.

I don't recall seeing a name so they could have been fabricated by the trailer manufacturer but they were very similar to your original picture. I think I remember that the big trailers (48') had a roof hatch and you accessed them from stairs beside the antenna mast from the inside but the smaller 'pup' trailers had an external ladder. We were on the clock so there wasn't any concerns of someone using these under the influence, YMMV.

Can't wait to see what you come up with...

Might be time to upgrade the old tow rig to 4wd.

We had two fleets (A & B) that leap-frogged the schedule to allow for a week set-up. They were all constructed at the same time and were pretty much identical so I didn't get to see multiple different configurations. The guard rails folded up/down easily and were super easy to pin in the corners to keep them up. In fact, the transportation company would set them up a lot of the time (to help out) just because they were easy enough to deploy.

I don't recall seeing a name so they could have been fabricated by the trailer manufacturer but they were very similar to your original picture. I think I remember that the big trailers (48') had a roof hatch and you accessed them from stairs beside the antenna mast from the inside but the smaller 'pup' trailers had an external ladder. We were on the clock so there wasn't any concerns of someone using these under the influence, YMMV.

Can't wait to see what you come up with...

A ROOF HATCH?! That's a great idea.

Might be time to upgrade the old tow rig to 4wd.

Not sure that would have helped, or if it would have just dug larger holes.

I'm thinking traction mats of some kind need to be added to the list of kit that's always with the truck.

Yeah, rooftop hatch and/or some kind of dumbwaiter system. It would suck to have to go "downstairs" to get beer all the time.

Oh, and a net system to catch any drunkards that fall off the top, like what they have at the Drive Shack. LOL

Yeah, rooftop hatch and/or some kind of dumbwaiter system. It would suck to have to go "downstairs" to get beer all the time.

Oh, and a net system to catch any drunkards that fall off the top, like what they have at the Drive Shack. LOL
You thought of the nets at Drive Shack & failed to suggest a driving range on top of the motel?? But I suppose one good idea builds off of another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom