The mods begin... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice stuff Jack.

I still think this is the best route to go.
You get the best bumper design out there and you know where the road will take you.
Its nice to have all the top notch bits and burn away!

I should have purchased the whole kit , it would have saved a boat load of time.

Looking forward to the progress.
ken

Keith,
Jack bought the DIY kit and has to put it together. Saves money.

Jack,
Do me a favor and let us know the total weight of the bumper once it's completed. Thanks dude. Sure is a good looking bumper!!!

Very kewl.

Can you sorta keep track of the hours it's taking you. I'm going to pick up mine within the next two weeks. I think I'm going to do double tire swingouts since I scored a new Long Ranger Aux. tank from the Land of Oz.

I'll try. So far I have about 7 hours into it. I got the wings and the main channel welded together today.

So Jack...is that a bolt together sort of deal, or do you have to weld it up yourself?
I was of the impression that you just bolt the sucker on there and call it "right"?

Looks sturdy if nothing else.

K

Like Ali said, it is the weld together kit. They do most of the cutting and all of the bending for you. So you just have to piece it together and weld it up. The good thing is you can make it as nice as you want and do some additional things to it.

Nice stuff Jack.

I still think this is the best route to go.
You get the best bumper design out there and you know where the road will take you.
Its nice to have all the top notch bits and burn away!

I should have purchased the whole kit , it would have saved a boat load of time.

Looking forward to the progress.
ken

Thanks Ken, your bumper is truly an inspiration as well.

It is a huge time saver for me.

Keith,
Jack bought the DIY kit and has to put it together. Saves money.

Jack,
Do me a favor and let us know the total weight of the bumper once it's completed. Thanks dude. Sure is a good looking bumper!!!

Dude, you are freaking killing me with the weight thing. It's an 80, it weighs three tons and everything I am bolting to it weighs a ton.:D I'll try and keep track of the weights.

Jack

Im curious about how much those weigh as well. Mine seems to be getting obese as the work progresses, and Im a little concerned about that. My rig sits ass high after the SOA but...
Im gonna drag the scale out to the garage and weigh that motha.

K

Dude, you are freaking killing me with the weight thing. It's an 80, it weighs three tons and everything I am bolting to it weighs a ton.:D Jack[/QUOTE]

That made me laugh. Probably because it's so true.

Isn't there an old adage about HP vs weight? Something like you lose 1 hp for every 10 lbs of weight added? We don't have that many HP to spare my friends....!!!!

Isn't there an old adage about HP vs weight? Something like you lose 1 hp for every 10 lbs of weight added? We don't have that many HP to spare my friends....!!!!
I thought the original plan was to do a V8 conversion on this rig???

Hmmmm...aluminum bumpers ought to do the trick :flipoff2: Or better yet: Titanium.

You win both ways with either aluminum or Ti: You lose rig weight AND wallet weight.

Yes sir !

An aluminum front bumper is on my list ( should go well with the cargo unit) :D

ken

Yes sir !

An aluminum front bumper is on my list ( should go well with the cargo unit) :D

ken

Kewl...can't wait to see what you come with!

I think it's time for a Isuzu diesel conversion since it's already in the garage......

You guys are too funny.

I do think an aluminum version of the 4x4labs bumper would be awesome and I doubt you would have to increase the thicknesses too much. But I can't imagine how much that would cost.

Ken, keep us informed on the front bumper process.

I am going to pick up some more supplies on Saturday and hit it since the weather is going to be crap.

Jack

Jack,
I don't know if you're going to rattle can it or not but I had Advanced Powder Coating next to Metal Masters on Deming Way powder coat my new sliders and they did a great job. I would have painted them myself but with the cold garage and my reluctance to put that much paint fumes in the garage...but then for $85 it just wasn't worth all the sanding disks, primer, paint , time and fumes :rolleyes:.

They charged me $85 for both and that included bead blasting and paint prep...and had them done in a day!

Just an FYI for ya...

Jack,
I don't know if you're going to rattle can it or not but I had Advanced Powder Coating next to Metal Masters on Deming Way powder coat my new sliders and they did a great job. I would have painted them myself but with the cold garage and my reluctance to put that much paint fumes in the garage...but then for $85 it just wasn't worth all the sanding disks, primer, paint , time and fumes :rolleyes:.

They charged me $85 for both and that included bead blasting and paint prep...and had them done in a day!

Just an FYI for ya...

I was going to have the bumper and everything but the uprights powdercoated. I want to paint the uprights, so that I can change my mind and do whatever I want later. I think I will leave the bumper and swingouts alone. I am going to get some quotes on prices, when I checked with that place, they were one of the highest on PC'ing my wheels. I am not sure if I will go back to the place I had my wheels done, they were a little unorganized, but the price and quality was good.

We'll see.

Jack

Update time.

I didn't get as much time on the project as I wanted, only about six hours over the weekend, but some nice progress just the same.

Here are some pics...
LC regear and lift 058.jpg
LC regear and lift 059.jpg

Last two for now. Should be getting the latch this week sometime, Luke was out of them and waiting on his next shipment.

Jack
LC regear and lift 060.jpg
LC regear and lift 061.jpg

Looking good Jack!

Very kewl, Jack.

NIIIICE!
Really diggin it!
Im extremely jealous that yours is done, and mine is still in progress.
Are the swingouts a kit as well?
Looks great Jack!

Chicago

NIIIICE!
Really diggin it!
Im extremely jealous that yours is done, and mine is still in progress.
Are the swingouts a kit as well?
Looks great Jack!

Chicago

Thanks guys.

Mine is far from being done. I mounted it back up so I could do my side protection and build the swingouts. The swingout arms were part of the kit. I didn't want or buy their tire carrier or can carrier, I have my own ideas about what I want. One of which is that I will have a 2" receiver sticking out of the center of the tire. I had one on my Jeep and realy liked it, again just makes it easy to add accessories at will, plus I can get the tire on the receiver and then put it on the studs to bolt it down. Unlike you, to me the tire is one heavy mofo, so I can't hold it up, line it up to the studs all in one fell swoop, I have to do it in stages.

I also have to figure out where I want the cans (two) and how I want to mount the hi-lift. So as you can see, lots left to do.:D

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom