The Great AHC Debate - To keep or not to keep (once it breaks...) - 04 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChuckB

SILVER Star
Threads
First off, I've heard nothing but great things about Trollhole's! @Trollhole @Teddy

A guy I know here locally mentioned that you have done numerous AHC deletes.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible... I'm looking for an expert second opinion on my AHC system, which I also happen to like as it has been working properly, with some upkeep along the way, over the last 12 years of my time with the Cruiser.

At this point, I have conducted 2-3 AHC flushes over that time, replaced rear coils with new OEM springs, and added the Pleades Spheres/Globes about 5 years ago. I also have Slee 30mm trim packers on the rear as well.

I'm running Slee Sliders, Dobinson Roof Rack w/awning, ARB front bumper (no winch) and 3 KIDS!!!

I recently had my Cruiser at another shop, which I have no isssues with, doing the 90k maintenance and some other items. I intended to have airbags installed as I occasionally tow a rented camper and it was having a bit of trouble every so often getting off the Low Height setting in certain situations.

About a year ago it came to my attention that the "shocks" were weeping as there was fluid clearly present on the shock bodies. I believe based on what the shop has told me that severity has increase as of last week and they did not recommend installing the airbags and instead replacing with OME.

So now, I believe I'm at the cross-road of:

1) Replace OEM "shocks", flush system and carry-on assuming no other issues

or

2) Replace with an aftermarket suspension and delete AHC
- I'm leaning towad the Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro Medium kit if I go this route, but open to opinions

Looking for some guidance and happy to get down to you as soon as possible.

*My time constraint is that I have a rented camper trip starting on the 8th of Novemer and need to get this sorted ASAP!

Thank you!!

Last edited:
We have done quite a few AHC deletes but I've gotten now to the point I'd rather keep them working than take them out. To take them out properly is a lot of hours. I'm not understanding why you wouldn't just replace the shocks since your globes are in good shape. That being said the rear shocks are a pain to get off. Getting a lift in and getting it on by that time frame and making sure everything is set correctly by the 8th to tow a camper is asking for it. We are usually booked a week or two out on things like this.

In my honest opinion I'd replace the shocks that are leaking. If all of them are leaking (I'm not talking just slightly wet around a portion of the body) like you see fluid dripping off the lower shock mount then that may be some other issue. I've see brake fluid in an ahc system make the shocks pour fluid.

@Trollhole Thank you for the response! I also talked with @Teddy on the phone this morning. I understand you guys are busy, rightfully so!!

I've got to do some more thinking on this and figure out which direction to go. Thank you again for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom