Builds The Dentist - Turbo Diesel LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Added my "Project Doc" vinyl sticker to the back window! In this pic you can also see my new winter radials, the Geolander A/T w/Mtn Snowflake rating.
How are you liking the 35" Yoko's on hard-pack?

@SHREDwagon to be honest, we have not gotten a good dump of snow yet! Except over Christmas while we were on Vancouver Island in the rain instead.

I drove down my street the other day that was so bright with the sun reflecting off the smooth, shiny wet ice that I could barely see, and trying to stop quickly definitely put it into a slide. Hard to say if it was tires, or just the fact the condition of the road was horrible and the weight of the cruiser probably didn't help either. I will post back when I get some hard-pack snow results though! I am thinking they will be similar to the Duratrac, an A/T with the snowflake rating.

Had some sketchy incidents with 315 KO2's last year on hard-pack, so 285 LT2's (studded) this year.

Last edited:
My last set of winters were a dedicated ice radial, studded in size 285. Funny enough those were the tires we had when we flipped on our side...

Definitely not saying they aren't a good idea though. I'd never do the winters here with anything less than the snowflake rating. The idea of running a BFG KM2, for example, scares the crap out of me!

I did a LOT of comparison on the options available, siped in 315 I could only find Duratracs, KO2s, and the Geolanders.

No problem :) I had reliability issues with them before, so I have a bad taste for them. I didn't want to go into details here as I didn't want this to become a tire discussion thread.

Installed the Shift Lock Release mechanism from my HDJ81.

IMG_20190103_111746_01.jpg

Installed my Streamlight Stinger flashlight. I have one in the truck on DC charger and one in the house on AC charger, love'em because they're always where I expect them to be and always ready and charged.

It made more sense to be on the right side with my HDJ81, but I couldn't find a better placement in the LHD LX, so I just went with it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

A few weeks ago, I had just washed the LX - inserting nice picture of clean LX here just because, well, she's not so bad looking - and noticed half my front axle was covered in a thin fluid. At first I thought it was power steering fluid (ATF) as my pump has been on it's way out for a long time (replacing that with oem in the next couple weeks) but oh no, it was way worse... diesel. Not from a hose.

20181218_122138.jpg

Diesel, leaking from the mid/tail section of my injection pump. Well, :censor: does the fun never end. I had my injectors rebuilt a while back, but left my IP alone, as it was working just fine. I SHOULD have had it rebuilt while the 1HD-T was in between trucks, but you know what, hindsight is 20/20... and you can't replace/rebuild EVERYTHING. :doh:

I started prepping to remove the pump and send it in for re-building. I figured I could still drive the truck for a while as it was only a small leak. The next morning we dropped to -15c and when I started it up in the morning to go to work, it was literally pouring out... drip drip drip drip making a puddle on the ground.

Shut it off and took the :princess: minivan to work instead. Called a friend of mine, Dan Martz. He's well known on the forums here as a Cruiser head/addict from way back when and lives in the same town as I. He said he was available to assist and lend a warm shop, so I drove over there, backed it into the shop, and we started at the removal.

1.jpg

While not overly DIFFICULT, the re/re of the IP is kind of a PITA and takes a good amount of time. It's driven by the timing belt, so there's also that fun.

As I was removing the diesel hard-lines, Dan removed the timing belt cover and started laughing. "Did we get BDC?" he says...:rofl:

3.jpg

While the re/re may not be a terribly complicated task, the rebuilding of the pump definitely is. It's a Denso VE style injection pump that could best be described as a sort of mechanical computer. Here's a breakdown of the pump so you get nightmares.

Denso VE Injection Pump.jpg

Luckily, I know a diesel injection genie that lives less than 2 hours from my home town - @yotahed , Mr. Jon Fox himself. He rebuilt every square mm of that pump in record time and at a very reasonable cost. He even drove out of his way to meet me part way after it was rebuilt to - thank you Jon!

Out of Jon's Pump Carnage Thread,
Here is a 1HDT Cam Disk that has just begun to dig into the case hardening on the inner portion of the lobe.
The roller has a matching mark(not shown) on the inner contact face.

4.jpg

Jon returned the pump to me in amazing shape. It looked brand new. Turns out, it also RUNS like it's brand new! Easier starts and noticeably less smoke... not to mention I wasn't washing the streets with diesel.

2.jpg

Nice everything. Amazing work. So much awesome.
Kudos to Jon and Jason as well.

I didn't realize you were documenting the build here on MUD as well, great thread! The Fat Lady lives on, in a new form! Lots of work to get back to this point.

Man... thats a lot of work Andrew. The new LX is looking fantastic, but yeah...it must have been hard walking (driving) away from the old 'Fat Lady' after all those years.

Nice job sir! Next time I am up in the Loops I will come by for a visit and get the tour. Well done!

I need one of those for my chevy. Too much crap floating around in the console, half the time I can't get it to close.

Been a couple months since an update! Most of my spare wrenching time has been working on a new project- modding a new purchase, an overland adventure trailer! I'll write about that eventually too.

But back to the cruiser. I recently washed, sanded down, primed and rust painted my Cruisin' transfer and transmission skid plates. They were on the HDJ81 originally. My 4 year old helped :)

skidplate1.jpg

Skidplate2.jpg

I added some new Cruisin' stickers I stole from Jason's shop last time I was there. Jason says they are on upside-down, but I figure next time I end up upside-down I will be able to read them easier.

..................ha.........ha............. too soon?

Skidplate3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom