The Coleman Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would have been just turning 2...looks alot like my 76. same type of tank. mine is a bit crustier than yours tho...flame shots are required...

Hey guys, just scored this at my local flea market for 15 dollars. It's a 425 e but can't tell if the red can is stock. It doesn't look like others on Google. Under the tabs it says 978. Is this not the stock one?

Almost certainly the stock one. Mid 70s 425 of any vintage are easy lighting perfect compact stoves. $15 for a useful camping item that will last for another 50 years. Good score. I got one of these "new" in the box for my daughter.

You can tell Coleman was getting safety conscious here-the filler moved to the side so you had to take it off the stove to fill it. Just a few years earlier, the filler was on top, and no doubt some yahoo tried to fill while the stove was running, resulting in en fuego!

yeeeah babay! those were never sold in stores IIUC...​

yeeeah babay! those were never sold in stores IIUC...​
Yeah. The guy that owned the Gold Bond trading stamp outfit had a thing for Coleman and they made them exclusively for him. There's a 413 or 425 stove as well but I've never held one.

I've seen the pics, and thought once or twice about trying to find a close color to paint the older more worn stove I have with, but I'd rather floss the rust than pose too hard...I hope to find a real one some day that I won't feel too dumb about paying for.

I scored this nice two-burner Sears stove recently from @Bomar. He came across it while cleaning out his great uncle's stuff. He worked for Sears for 40 years.

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

This handy burner grate holder looks like a custom mod:

IMG_1547.JPG

It even with the ancient fuel, it fired right up and worked perfectly!

IMG_1545.JPG

It even with the ancient fuel, it fired right up and worked perfectly!

Hahaha gotta love that!

I bought a 1976-built Coleman 425E out of the US off ebay last year and, being full of fuel it fired up right away too.

Nice acquisition by the way. Those old Sears models are cool.

Speaking of cool, do any of you guys run your Coleman fuel-only stoves on unleaded gasoline and injector cleaner? I've been testing it out for remote area use where I won't have a hope in hell of finding Coleman fuel or shellite to run. So far it seems to work well, just have to get the mix ratio right.

I have often found that the Sears Coleman stuff was actually nicer and with more design flare (intentional sp) than the standard Coleman stuff.

Look at the slanted grate and the raised edges of the case on @FJ60Cam 's stove, they didn't need to do that.

I have an Avocado 2 burner that's super compact and self contained-a Sears only design. Ugly but super cool.

I think Sears must have commissioned their own designs and colors, and in the day, they had the market power to do that.

That's a big debate. Generators cost what they do. Coleman fuel is $11/gal. I can get lead free ethanol free boat gas for $3.50. So I only have to get through 2 gallons of boat gas to be ahead of the game. Not advised for expensive or rare generators, but for your 220 go for it. I have a 220H that eats up the gas with no issues. YMMV.

Rainy day on the farm, so I rebuilt my 67 200A. Getting ready for Cruise Moab..

View attachment 1445458

I've always liked those metal lantern containers, and I've never found one in the wild, and I refuse to pay the ridiculous ebay prices. Good on you for having a nice one.

Nice 200A. Vent looks perfect. 67? Any chance it's June? The only 6/67 I've seen is 220/228.

Eric

:doh: I just looked, it's a 10/63. I always had in my mind it was a 67. Vent is perfect, don't tighten the nut down and it shouldn't crack, hopefully.

I've a couple from the 50s, but not a 7/53, my born on date.

IMG_3130.JPG

20161224_172336_zpsxzhzq9x7.jpg

20161224_171540_zpswzaazv5o.jpg

A couple of pics of my 1975 Coleman 425E. Great stove, and not something we have traditionally used in Australia, so it's not common to find used vintage ones like this in op shops or ebay or gumtree. The modern dual fuel Coleman suitcase stoves can be purchased new or second-hand but are often very expensive since they sell for well over A$200 brand new.

I was looking for a way to avoid having to carry a propane tank due to limited room in the Shorty Forty, so I have been using this stove instead of a gas stove. I carry extra fuel in a 5 litre jerrycan. For a long trip I first fill the jerrycan with Shellite, which is a stove fuel similar to Coleman fuel, then when that runs out I use 5 litres of premium unleaded petrol to which I will add 25mls of injector cleaner. Works great so far. Shellite is hard to find in remote areas, but normal unleaded gas and injector cleaner can be found at every outback road house.

Wow-A Coleman stove for $200? Here they are $10-$40 all day long on Craigslist. I could send you a few!

But a 425E is a great way to get a real cooking stove in a compact package. I'll try and get a pic up of my Sears 425 equivalent. It's even more compact, and the Avocado green is like a blast from the 70s.

I sent a 425E home with a Cruiser friend from France. He uses it at Land Cruiser events there. Amazingly the airline let him check it in-fuel fully emptied and dried of course.

I was just looking on Craigs while posting this and saw this:

COLEMAN Camp Stove 2 Burner

00m0m_829BQBw339w_600x450.jpg

That is a highly cool stove. Not just the round Solidur tank, but also the original cast iron burners. Roughly late 1930s. So if you want a piece of history you can still cook dinner on while camping, this is your chance. I wish I was closer. It looks like it's in beautiful shape. edit: It may be a repaint, which is OK. The Coleman decals are from the 1960s.

Last edited:
That's a nice bit of kit @Cruiserdrew if I didn't already have one which perfectly suits my needs I'd be all over it :)

I was able to buy my 425E off eBay out of the US for less than US$20... the catch of course was the shipping - it was over US$100. Still, it was cheaper than buying a modern dual fuel model brand new. These are a bit scarce on the ground here at the moment, but here's a typical Aussie seller's pricing off of ebay - Coleman Powerhouse 2 Burner Dual Fuel Stove - Free Shipping Australia Wide | eBay (no affiliation)

If it's any consolation, I found my Coleman Powerhouse duel fuel dual-mantle lantern in an op shop for A$35. I use the heck out of it too L-D Speaking of lanterns, do any of you guys have problems on long expedition-style trips with the lantern mantles being shaken to bits as you're driving through bulldust and corrugated dirt roads? I went through four sets of Coleman brand clip on mantles during one two-week trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom