The Coleman Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah. The guy that owned the Gold Bond trading stamp outfit had a thing for Coleman and they made them exclusively for him. There's a 413 or 425 stove as well but I've never held one.
Not sure if this is a Gold Bond, but I thought I'd post it here incase anyone is interested (it's not mine)
Gold Coleman Camp Stove

If it's any consolation, I found my Coleman Powerhouse duel fuel dual-mantle lantern in an op shop for A$35. I use the heck out of it too L-D Speaking of lanterns, do any of you guys have problems on long expedition-style trips with the lantern mantles being shaken to bits as you're driving through bulldust and corrugated dirt roads? I went through four sets of Coleman brand clip on mantles during one two-week trip.

I don't have any idea where Aus Coleman mantles are produced but yes we have the same problem here as well. New Coleman mantles are poo. The solution for us here is Peerless 2C-HG mantles.

OldColemanParts.com :: Just Mantles :: Peerless Mantles 2C-HG

I believe I have read they are made on your side of the world (Malaysia? Phillipines?) but I'm not sure where you would source them. Of course mantles are small and weight nothing. I bet Mike (owner of Old Coleman Parts) would ship you some in an envelope and shipping shouldn't be that bad. He's in Seattle. They are much tougher and last longer.

Eric

that's an awesome resource! Thanks @Prairie Swamp

No problem! And I guarantee you will not find a nicer guy or better shop owner than Mike. He has my orders at UPS usually within an hour of me placing them. If you haven't tried the Peerless mantles order up some and give them a go. They're awesome.

Eric

gunna order some stuff today. I need some fuel gaskets, a cap or two, some pump leathers and some mantles. it's about time for another family photo!

Here is the Sears version of a 425. 8/71.

It's more compact than a Coleman 425 and well, avocado green is just the thing.

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

I don't have any idea where Aus Coleman mantles are produced but yes we have the same problem here as well. New Coleman mantles are poo. The solution for us here is Peerless 2C-HG mantles.

OldColemanParts.com :: Just Mantles :: Peerless Mantles 2C-HG

I believe I have read they are made on your side of the world (Malaysia? Phillipines?) but I'm not sure where you would source them. Of course mantles are small and weight nothing. I bet Mike (owner of Old Coleman Parts) would ship you some in an envelope and shipping shouldn't be that bad. He's in Seattle. They are much tougher and last longer.

Eric

Cheers Eric!

I'll pick up a few packs of the Peerless mantles and see how they stack up.

Wow, oldcolemanparts.com is an amazing site. Thanks!

@Prairie Swamp

I spoke with Mike from Old Coleman Parts. Sadly, the cheapest shipping he could do to Australia was US$17. The good news was that the same shipping cost applied whether it was one packet of mantles or ten packets, which is pretty good.

However, I only wanted one packet to test out, so I found a distributor in New Zealand (Peerless 2C-HG Mantle 4 Pack) and picked up a packet for NZ$12.75 (A$11.90 / US$8.90) shipped. Shipping time from NZ to Australia is usually pretty reasonable too.

If I ever need a new generator or other parts for my Coleman 425E I'll definitely go to Mike first. Thanks for the heads up

I'm glad you found a somewhat local source. I'm sure you'll be happy. I did look at a package I have here and they are made in the Philippines.

Yeah if you have mates that also run the vintage Coleman stuff you could put in a group order to Mike. You can fit an awful lot of generators, mantles, etc. in a flat rate box.

That looks right to me. Is there a model number anywhere on the cooler to confirm?

If not, you could image search the ones listed to see which one you have.

you can prolly find a rubber stopper for it if nothing else. I still use my green steel belted 80s ice chest...it's latch is not as nice as it once was, but still works well.

I was at a garage sale recently and picked this up for $5.

Apparently it is not too rare.

I turned it over and it has a 2 and a 73 on the bottom. Maybe the year made? The guy had a ton of coleman lanterns that looked old but he wanted $20 each for them so I passed. I just watched a YouTube video on how to operate this bad boy. Gonna get some fuel this week and fire it up.

Good stove, and good vintage. You may need to clean it up and even service it. But all the parts are available, and it could go another 50 years.

You likely need a new fuel cap. So buy one at WalMart or Old Coleman parts.

Post up the flame shots when it runs.

Good stove, and good vintage. You may need to clean it up and even service it. But all the parts are available, and it could go another 50 years.

You likely need a new fuel cap. So buy one at WalMart or Old Coleman parts.

Post up the flame shots when it runs.
Do you think this cap is shot? How do they fail? It looks like it needs to hold air so I guess that the gaskets go out? I will check Academy Sports and our local hardware store first. I hate to enter Wal-Mart unless all others have failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom