The Coleman Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been on a buying spree lately of Red 200A and 226 Ultra Lite units ... The 200A's with an Amber Globe and a Thorium Peerless mantle give off the most sublime light (maybe it's the beer? ;) )

Maybe it's the Radioactivity ... 😯

Last edited:
Latest acquisition, Japan-spec 286A700 single-mantle lantern. Manufactured in 2018, built for Japan and imported to the USA (*made in USA, of course). This is my latest and newest lantern, bought UNFIRED from a collector, and got a new Silk-Lite coarse weave mantle tonight, which promptly blew a hole out the bottom from too much start pressure. Let it cool off and mounted another, and it's burning out back as I type.
43933.jpeg

This came with the box and camping case in Coleman Green, note the Japanese kanji on the box, and the lighting instructions on the collar are all in Japanese, too! I've been holding out for one of these modern single-mantle lanterns for years, as they're less liability when out 4×4'ing with risk for breaking mantels on the trail. At least now, I only have to worry about replacing the one, and it seems every bit as bright as my 288 double-mantle.

As a companion piece for the LandCruiser, I can't imagine a better model. The picket fence globe came off of my 288, and may find it's permanent home right here.

Don't ask what I paid for it; I'm not proud - but priced in line with Toyota OEM parts!

I have a fondness for single-mantle Lamps... As others have said, I can't really tell the difference in light output between single and double mantle units, but there is definitely more coverage with the double.

I just bought the Domestic version of that 286, or what I thought was a 286 Coleman, it was advertised as such, but what showed up as a very clean 288, so I will keep it and not complain to the seller, too much. Price was ok, too.

That's a beautiful unit. I like the brass sparker, too!

I have a fondness for single-mantle Lamps... As others have said, I can't really tell the difference in light output between single and double mantle units, but there is definitely more coverage with the double.

I just bought the Domestic version of that 286, or what I thought was a 286 Coleman, it was advertised as such, but what showed up as a very clean 288, so I will keep it and not complain to the seller, too much. Price was ok, too.

That's a beautiful unit. I like the brass sparker, too!

i heard you had that single mantle fondness ..... :D

me ..........

i simply love my COLEMANS !

B0C717DE-414E-43A0-99D2-F9CD0EEEA250 - Copy.jpg

So this Coleman thread has infected me. I already have my mom's red metal Coleman cooler from the 70s and my Dad's propane Coleman lantern but now I have made some more acquisitions. Got a Coleman 523 dual fuel stove from WWII with tons of parts for $100 about a month ago. A guy inherited it from his Uncle that was in WWII. And then a nice score yesterday. Picked up 2 Coleman 220F lanterns from 1971 along with a custom made wooden box (his dad made it) that fits the lanterns, a gallon of fuel and spare parts. One of the lanterns has a reflective shield attached to it and a handle that can be attached. Hadn't seen that before. A guy got it from his dad and didn't want it. $50 for everything. Now I'm hooked.

20221004_180350.jpg

20221004_180339.jpg

20221004_180306.jpg

20221004_175238.jpg

20221004_175150.jpg

20221004_174929.jpg

20221004_174918.jpg

20221004_174902.jpg

Last edited:
@DUTCHDJ1

That's a nice box, too. I've got to build one like that.

@DUTCHDJ1

That's a nice box, too. I've got to build one like that.
I'm thinking about coating the bottom and first few inches of the bottom of each side in Eastwood Rubberized coating. Less sliding around and no worries sitting in dirt, water, mud, etc.

That's a good idea. I was thinking I would fold up some sheet aluminum for the bottom but I'd still have to keep it from sliding.

Would make a smaller box though, don't need two lanterns on a trip, unless you're doing a mobile woods disco!

That's a good idea. I was thinking I would fold up some sheet aluminum for the bottom but I'd still have to keep it from sliding.

Would make a smaller box though, don't need two lanterns on a trip, unless you're doing a mobile woods disco!
Agreed. I may alter the inner partitions so it has room for the stove and a lantern and the fuel.

Last edited:
That's a cool setup from someone who liked camp lighting. I have the same reflector on my "soupcan" 220, and the reason why the handle isn't attached is that the lantern becomes very unwieldy when attached. My handle sits unloved on the shelf, and the polished reflector helps to protect 180deg of the globe.

With a full fount of fuel lasting 10hrs of burn time, I usually just top-off before a trip and haven't needed to carry spare fuel in awhile.

Part of the collecting bug is getting a good deal,

I wondered why that handle was removed...

I don't have any of those reflector/handle gizmos.

Those 523 medical sterilization stoves are neat. I picked one up a few years back. It makes popcorn really fast! Look up under the stove top frame and there should be some extra parts clipped into some little holders. I'm not sure how to date these stoves, but I think the aluminum cases (which are also the boiling pans for the medical instruments) are found on the later models, possibly Vietnam era. Mine came with al ultra heavy steel case, that I think might also triple as a jack stand for a fj40, ha!

IMG_0437.JPG

Turn the picture sideways, looks like a MiG-25 Foxbat in full afterburn, and probably putting out almost as much heat!
Screenshot_20221009-074120.jpg

Those 523 medical sterilization stoves are neat. I picked one up a few years back. It makes popcorn really fast! Look up under the stove top frame and there should be some extra parts clipped into some little holders. I'm not sure how to date these stoves, but I think the aluminum cases (which are also the boiling pans for the medical instruments) are found on the later models, possibly Vietnam era. Mine came with al ultra heavy steel case, that I think might also triple as a jack stand for a fj40, ha!

View attachment 3135681
Very cool! That thing is crazy hot! Yeah mine came with a big envelope full of little envelopes with type written descriptions of all the little extra parts in each envelope. I probably have at least 20 extra little parts. I just have to figure out how to get a bit of old fuel residue out of the tank. Was thinking to put a bunch of carb cleaner in it to let it dissolve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom