The canal boat (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think it’s great getting your daughter to wrench with you. I try to do the same with my kids. Teaching them this trade is invaluable.

What’s next after this?

I think it’s great getting your daughter to wrench with you. I try to do the same with my kids. Teaching them this trade is invaluable.

What’s next after this?

Nothing. Time to spend some time working in her truck. She even asked me about it last night.

Well "nothing" maintenance or mod wise. I'm going to shampoo the carpets still. Maybe find a stock steering wheel.

Well, yesterday was a wreck.

Took my daughter to basketball and noticed the lc wouldn't lock the converter.
Tried to do some diagnostics and troubleshooting but by the evening the trans had 6 neutrals. I'm debating on what to do now.
Try and find a used trans(full hydro a442f, lol)

pull and have a local shop rebuild.

Sell as is and buy something else.

It was my daily so I'm a little put off now.

Well, yesterday was a wreck.

Took my daughter to basketball and noticed the lc wouldn't lock the converter.
Tried to do some diagnostics and troubleshooting but by the evening the trans had 6 neutrals. I'm debating on what to do now.
Try and find a used trans(full hydro a442f, lol)

pull and have a local shop rebuild.

Sell as is and buy something else.

It was my daily so I'm a little put off now.
I know you know your way around vehicles so forgive me if this is too obvious. I read this thread: The Steal of the year (A 96 FZJ80 Tale) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-steal-of-the-year-a-96-fzj80-tale.1270367/ and people talk about how they repaired their transmissions. Not sure if any of that stuff is common or intuitive but it seems to me cruiser heads are more familiar with these "simple" fixes. I hope you figure it out and it isn't a catastrophic.

It's an older hydraulic trans. No solenoids and it's not a drive flange.

I spoke with torfab's trans guy(they outsource but put me in touch).

I described my issues and he very clearly described the likely failure. And based on symptoms I agree.

Damn, that sucks.
It's going on a wrecker to the trans shop in the am. This is my daily till it's back.

20210822_185123.jpg

So. The transmission just went bad? No indications it was on the way out?

So. The transmission just went bad? No indications it was on the way out?
I've posed elsewhere about it.

Short story is
Drove daughter to basketball. Converter wouldn't lock up in 4th(only locks in fourth)
Did some reading. Adjusted kickdown. Checked fluid. Both good.

Picked daughter up from basketball. No change.
Picked son up from birthday party. On the way home in fourth gear rpms began to fluctuate and then it basically was in neutral. I pulled over and let it sit. I was able to engage gear and drive again slowly. This process repeated a few times until I gave up and had it towed

From the trans shop

"This is the root of the problem, Torque converter..The Spraggs failed internally and ripped the splines out of it
Majority of the clutches were wore, and Burned and the steel plates
Every clutch, every steel plate, seals, gaskets, sprags, every bushing, is gettting replaced"

IMG_20211215_121338.jpg
IMG_20211215_121336.jpg
IMG_20211215_121335.jpg
IMG_20211215_121333.jpg
IMG_20211215_121332.jpg

Are they going back in with OEM stuff? Or aftermarket? Never seen a torque converter do what you describe. Was it rusty somehow?

Are they going back in with OEM stuff? Or aftermarket? Never seen a torque converter do what you describe. Was it rusty somehow?

Rusty on the inside? Doubtful. There's one image of the converter cut open.

I haven't asked about OEM or not. It's warrantied for parts and labor. He's a well respected shop. I'm not going to stick my nose in his business there.

I got bored and ordered more useless s***.
A transfer case extension from landcruiser Phil
A shift knob from sickspeed with H N L on it in a stencil type font.
I ordered from recovery points from trail tailor because God knows when I'll get a bumper.
I ordered some recovery gear from rhino usa. (3*30 strap, shackle receiver mount, bag, extra shackle), shovel.

I ordered an OEM trans mount and had it shipped to the trans shop.
I will be ordering some oem hose to replace my rear heat hard lines.

Bummer on the transmission. That’s some rotten luck on such a new (to you) vehicle. I’m encouraged that you found a trans shop sorta close, but a torfab recommendation seems like a pretty good one. Thanks for sharing that info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom