The black box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ry24000

SILVER Star
Threads

What's the word on this? Worth a lick or what? Thanks in advance. I have not been able to find much info.

You might find more by searching Blackbox, black box, northwestfab, North West fab, NWF, northwestfab.com.... etc

Limiting the search to thread titles will give fewer results that are more likely what you are looking for.. not limiting to titles will give far more results, but more sifting to find relevant info.

Thanks for the links. Looks like mostly 80 series content and a few, if any, actual working units.

Thanks for the links. Looks like mostly 80 series content and a few, if any, actual working units.
Searching "NWF" returns 24 pages of posts, searching "blackbox" returns 20 pages....... I gave you 3 fish, there's a whole ocean out there if you are hungry. ;)

The Posts are out there and mostly speculation I scrolled through and didn't come up with an actual working box😳

Okay, here's another that has (atleast in the last 3 pages which I skimmed) quite a bit of discussion of heat and oil migration, and solutions between different mudders running and installing blackbox units.

If you have an idea of which trusted mudders might have discussed a topic, that can give you a breadcrumb trail to good info. I found this thread by searching black box in posts by @orangefj45

To get a proper answer, you’ll need to supply more info.

What kind of vehicle? How will it be used? Current engine, trans, Tcase, axles, diff ratio, tire size ……

You question is similar to a patient calling a doctor and telling him “ my tummy hurts. What’s wrong with me?“

FWIW, we have installed a few of these units successfully. Some of them we modified with external coolers, fluid pumps and reservoirs to make them more street friendly.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

@Ry24000 If you want a Blackbox. I took mine out. I was gonna get it up for sale this spring.

This one should answer a ton of questions. HTH

@Ry24000 If you want a Blackbox. I took mine out. I was gonna get it up for sale this spring.

This one should answer a ton of questions. HTH

Why are you taking it out? Compatible with a split case?

Why are you taking it out? Compatible with a split case?

Yes. I had it behind a split case.

I did a motor trans swap and went with an auto. The auto is the same length as the manual with the BB was. I didn't want to end up with a 6in driveshaft...

Yes. I had it behind a split case.

I did a motor trans swap and went with an auto. The auto is the same length as the manual with the BB was. I didn't want to end up with a 6in driveshaft...

I pulled my toxbox/splitcase for the same reason lol. Went auto and atlas with 6"+ of driveshaft gain, and a deeper crawl.

I have a blackbox and NP205 on my stretched 40. I am very happy with it.

I picked up a used one last weekend.
IMG_20230407_131211671.jpg

IMG_20230407_131540796_HDR.jpg

I plan on installing in between an H55 and a split case on my Iron Pig.
I asked the Previous owner why he didn't want it in his 60? He said it was hardly used and didn't like the noise it made, but the noise could have come from the rebuilt H41(pictured) and when he removed it, drained the tranny said the tranny had mucho metalic particles. Probably the source of much of the noise!? He went with H55 and Sumo gears in the split case.
He said the tranny was rebuilt by SOR. Ill have to check the Black box out before I install. Ill contact NW Fab and get some advice.
I hope its not too noisy. My goal for the pig is to drive it to the Rubicon(or other trail), Run the trail, then make the trip back home.

I thought those black boxes had to have some sort of external cooling for them? I can't imagine they would like long trips at high speeds....

What oil do the planetary boxes take ? It does look like there are in & out ports on the box for that.

Is the sun gear engaged in high?
I need to call NW Fab and get some information. Surprised no here can comment on long range highway driving with this box.

To get a proper answer, you’ll need to supply more info.

What kind of vehicle? How will it be used? Current engine, trans, Tcase, axles, diff ratio, tire size ……

You question is similar to a patient calling a doctor and telling him “ my tummy hurts. What’s wrong with me?“

FWIW, we have installed a few of these units successfully. Some of them we modified with external coolers, fluid pumps and reservoirs to make them more street friendly.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Georg, could you elaborate a little. Is this an option for driving on the street, a long trip to the trail, run the trail, drive home with the external oiling modifications you suggest? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom