The black box (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bumping….

Anyone with a 60 series run this unit on anything but a trailer queen rig? Interested to hear how it behaves as a street/trail unit.

Bumping….

Anyone with a 60 series run this unit on anything but a trailer queen rig? Interested to hear how it behaves as a street/trail unit.

Yes there are several. The consensus is to run a external fluid reservoir, cooler and scavenge pump

Thanks for the bump on this. I'm getting ready to tear down my Pig and I have one of these. The guy I bought it from said it was loud on highway. He only had it on his 60 for 400 miles. Thing looks brand new. I want input from owners that highway drive as well as wheel. The goal for my Pig is to drive it to Rubicon. Run the trail and drive back home.

I don't find the Blackbox noisy at all. Certainly a lot of plus and minuses you'll have to decide for yourself but for me, I'd really prefer the simpler solution and not need a separate oil reservoir, cooler, pump or some combination of to run long highway miles... But NWF has been responsive and has worked with me.... so there is that... and that is certainly worth something.

I don't find the Blackbox noisy at all. Certainly a lot of plus and minuses you'll have to decide for yourself but for me, I'd really prefer the simpler solution and not need a separate oil reservoir, cooler, pump or some combination of to run long highway miles... But NWF has been responsive and has worked with me.... so there is that... and that is certainly worth something.
So you can run it in high range for longer highway trips without issue?

Thx

I meant to say, I’d prefer a Marlin Crawler box so I wouldn’t need the additional cooling components. I have not added those to the Blackbox yet.

What about the 4:1 gears for the split case ? Georg may have cases already machined, drive it in, they can install the 4:1 and Rubicon you go, it is not far from Georg's shop.

What about the 4:1 gears for the split case ? Georg may have cases already machined, drive it in, they can install the 4:1 and Rubicon you go, it is not far from Georg's shop.
That takes your overdrive and turns it into an underdrive. I don't like that! Then the only advantage with the h55 I'm installing is on the low side.
I believe the Black box is 2.7 to one added to the split case would put you somewhere in the 5 to 1 range with an overdrive to boot.? A 6 speed would be nice😁

The black box definitely gives more options. I have not seen the adapters for them , are they any good ?

The black box definitely gives more options. I have not seen the adapters for them , are they any good ?
IMG_20230407_131211671.jpg
IMG_20230407_131211671.jpg
IMG_20230407_131540796_HDR.jpg

Here it is mounted to h41/2. 4 speed. It should bolt right up to my H55 then the split case should bolt to the box.

IMG_20230506_144750876.jpg

Just got off the phone with NWF. Had a great phone conversation with a guy that gave up a tremendous amount of information on the Black box.
I explained how I came into possession of my Box and how the previous owner said it was noisy. He explained some important details on the install dealing with a maximum input shaft length and support. So if you get a box definitely call them to get the details of the install!! He also suggested an external pump cooling coil and reservoir. Gave me a part number for pump.
Anyway I was on the fence about actually putting this thing in my Pig and now I'm doing it for sure. First thing is to tear it down and make sure the PO didn't damage it.

I'd run that. It looks like you could clock the tcase up but cant really tell if its viable. FWIW I thought someone was seling a package that had the pump, lines, & cooler for those ?

Glad to hear that you also had a good customer support experience with NWF, I have a black box for 80 series here that I have setup to adapt an HF2A in my “unmentionable other 4x4” that needs an offset full time transfer case. Please share your cooling setup when you get your install completed I’ll be excited to see another plumbed system to help me wrap my head around component placement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom