The bitch tried to kill me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a candidate for replacement

I was searching for some new jack stands, came across these:

TorinJacks.com > Product Detail

They have a pin that acts as a double-lock, and they're rated at 6 tons. That ought to make it a whole lot safer than the one that failed.

They also make a regular one, but for a few extra bucks the pin double-lock is totally worth it.

Editing here, found another one. this is a serious piece of beef:

http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/Temp/1339.pdf

and here's another one, this is USA-made:

http://www.mile-x.com/norco-81205-jack-stands.aspx

they certainly cost more, but they sure look sturdy.

If anyone has any other good choices, please let me know.

thanks

Dana

Last edited:
For the Torin 6-ton without the double-lock, Costco has it for $40 shipped. I don't have them personally so can't attest to quality. With free shipping you can just order it and return them in the store without a loss. After this thread I've been looking at getting a set of 6-ton stands to be on the safe side.

Costco - Auto - Lifts/Stands

For the Torin 6-ton without the double-lock, Costco has it for $40 shipped. I don't have them personally so can't attest to quality. With free shipping you can just order it and return them in the store without a loss. After this thread I've been looking at getting a set of 6-ton stands to be on the safe side.

Costco - Auto - Lifts/Stands

Yeah, I saw those too. However, I think I'll go for the double locked ones. Or the HD pin-type.

Late to the game but I have to echo, very glad you are ok and holy crap. I have the exact same ones in my garage, same color even as a second set behind some large 6 Ton Craftsman stands. I will be checking them and probably chucking them tomorrow. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

WOW...that is some scary $h!t!! I haven't been on here lately due to business travel.... I'm so glad to see your ok! Yes cheap equipment is hazardous...BUT THANK GOD your ok!!

Scott

WOW -- I came all the way over from the 60s section 'cuz lacruiser told me about this thread... Certainly glad you and your offspring came away from it well enough, all things considered.

I use the HF 6-ton with a 3k lb jack under whatever corner I'm under... About 25 years ago I personally witnessed a '68 Camaro with hot headers fall on a buddy -- I was on the other side of the gas station where we worked at the time, but his scream stopped traffic. He came away with a broken collar bone and a bad burn on down his neck that left a very visible scar, to this day...

Frankly, your story has scarred the sh*t out of me again, and I think some American company should name their 6-ton HD jack stands after you - 'cuz you've probably just sold a couple hundred of 'em.

This thread should get posted somewhere more visible ? MUD chat, perhaps ?

Again, glad you're ok. :)

I too am glad that you came out of this alive. I am so paranoid about getting under cars after hearing a few horror stories. I'm definitely going to be picking up some super heavy duty stands, now that I'm going to be working on this newly aquired beheamoth. I generally use some Rhino ramps, with a jack or stands as reinforcements, depending on what I'm working on.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Sorry I've not been able to responed faster. I went back to work this week and I've been trying to catch up.

I'm recovering very well at this point. My ribs are great most of the time, the shoulder not so much. It's going to need an MRI to see what's going on. I still don't have full range of motion and the pain isn't going away. :frown:

I did get a new set up 6 ton US made stands and got the lift done with the :princess: help. The caster correction will have to wait until I can turn a wrench hard enough to free the bolts on the control arms.

I'm going to post a link to this in general chat to spread the word a little. Here are the new stands. Much better quality and MUCH larger. I still not sure I'll be getting under anything on any stands in the near future though. :D

Thanks agan everyone.
new stands.jpg

I had the prawl fail on that exact model of jackstand. came apart and fell out of the stand right after I took the pressure off of it. Relegated them to junk.

Thanks for crossposting that on chit-chat. I never would have seen it otherwise.

So... who makes decent jackstands that aren't chicom death traps?

Those look like Lincoln brand... Where'd ya get 'em?

I did some google searching and there are several companies that make stands in the U.S. You have to be careful though. Many of the companies that offer U.S. made stands have cheap offshore alternatives as well.

Even though my initial reaction was harsh regarding where the stands were made (and I still stand by it), I think size may matter more here. For our trucks, six tons is the minimum IMHO.

I considered going with 22 ton stands, but they were just too heavy to lug around :D.

The blue ones above are beck werner 6 ton stands that retail for about $130. A lot more expensive than the cheapies, but safety equipment is not the place to cut corners. It may be a very expensive lesson if you do.

I've got an attorney that specializes in product liability looking at the case, but I doubt much will come of it. I just hope at the very least someone else sees this thread and doesn't crawl under thier vehicle thinking they're safe on these stands.

I had the prawl fail on that exact model of jackstand. came apart and fell out of the stand right after I took the pressure off of it. Relegated them to junk.

Thanks for crossposting that on chit-chat. I never would have seen it otherwise.

They've been in my garage for at least 7 years. After looking around online and matching paint colors, I'm fairly certain they are from Harbor Freight.

Those look like Lincoln brand... Where'd ya get 'em?

Last edited:

I have been using craftsman 6 ton jack stands after I almost died under a 67 barracuda on bumper jacks, that was almost 20 years ago though, no idea how the modern ones would fair.

Geeze, thanks for the heads up. I have two sets of these HF jacks but mine are "6 ton", one set is unopened. I'm glad you mentioned this because I too thought they appeared to be strong. Has anyone heard of a 6 ton HF failure?

I'm going to take the unused set back to HF and get the costco ones since they are only 10$ more and seem to be a reputable brand.

Its good to hear that you made it out of that deadly situation with relatively minor injuries. Best wished for a full recovery.

Thanks. I've heard the Costco ones are a good brand. I may pick up a set as well.

wow, glad to see you're still alive after reading your story. I'd have been crying begging for an ambulance, never mind putting the wheel back on and cleaning up! Tough guy you are, hope the shoulder gets better.

Now time to find some quality jackstands compared to the cheap crap I have...even though I rarely if ever take a wheel off at home.

Wowzers bro. Glad you are alright.
You have enlightened me a little. I have four 3 tonners I use, 2 craftsman, 2 Kobalt. I'm sure they all all Chinese junk.
Gonna look around at some 6 tonners. :cheers:

I agree, thanks for the cross post. And I am glad to see you are OK.

I have a set of both the cheap ones and the larger 6 ton ones. I also have a set of positive locking ones that use a U-shaped pin through the adjustable jack part to hold them in position. There is no way for them to fail. I think they came from sears 25 years ago or more.

HolyS#$%....glad you are ok...that is a scary story....I hope that you heal fast and get back to your project soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom