Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so why the engine change? I just liked that you had annoyed so many people for not using a Toyota diesel

The no-diesel decision was easier than I thought. I could spend $10k-14k on a 1HD-FTE to maintain the Toyota roots and have 1/3 the power of an L92 (or any LS based motor) that would cost 1/3 the price of the 1HD. Plus, these engines are everywhere, reliable, and take power adders easily. I plan on towing occasionally and hate being the slow one at the stop light, the 1FZ is already too much of a slug for me. Ideally, the 3UR would have been my pick but that's uncharted territory and probably not possible without a stand-alone ECU.

Thrashux has one last H152 I told him to reserve for me. But every A750 equipped vehicle I've owned, I've been impressed with the transmission.

I really need to unload that LS though. If anyone is looking for a basically new 425hp/tq setup. Someone will get a decent deal. Might have a buyer but if anyone else is looking as a backup. Let me know.

I believe Kevin said-set it up for 475hp. The trans is built for 675hp.

Cheers

so why the engine change? I just liked that you had annoyed so many people for not using a Toyota diesel

I caved to public pressure. Pleasing internet strangers is my main goal in life.

Just kidding. I have several reasons for the change, some good some not so good. I think a diesel will fit my newly adjusted needs better than a petrol. The LS is still a good fit and a killer setup. I wouldn't talk bad about anyone deciding to go with one. s***, maybe I'll change my mind again before the FTE gets here and go back to the LS. Who knows? Get a little too much booze and/or caffeine in me and I make wacky decisions.

Learning about the diesel world has been fun though. I put off for too long educating myself on the subject.

Last edited:
I had a 24v 1HD-FT powered 80 with the H151 manual gearbox. Great engine. That thing pulled like a train! I would’ve loved to get my hands on an FTE though. I never saw any factory intercooled FT’s in the UK or RZA. Maybe Oz? Either way, that’ll be a fun engine. I didn’t like the factory 80 series manual transmission as it wasn’t very smooth. It was a pain to downshift into 1st gear. My wife hated driving it. I have the H150F in my VDJ200 and love it. I’ve often thought it would’ve been a smoother gearbox than the H151 that my 80 had. The biggest difference I’ve noticed between the two vehicles is the low end torque of the 1HD-FT/H151 combo makes the VDJ/H150 seem a bit weak on the torque side.

I had a 24v 1HD-FT powered 80 with the H151 manual gearbox. Great engine. That thing pulled like a train! I would’ve loved to get my hands on an FTE though. I never saw any factory intercooled FT’s in the UK or RZA. Maybe Oz? Either way, that’ll be a fun engine. I didn’t like the factory 80 series manual transmission as it wasn’t very smooth. It was a pain to downshift into 1st gear. My wife hated driving it. I have the H150F in my VDJ200 and love it. I’ve often thought it would’ve been a smoother gearbox than the H151 that my 80 had. The biggest difference I’ve noticed between the two vehicles is the low end torque of the 1HD-FT/H151 combo makes the VDJ/H150 seem a bit weak on the torque side.

Apparently the intercooler (among other things) makes a big difference in the FTE.
The non-intercooled HDJ79/78 makes 164hp/280tq whereas the intercooled HDJ100 makes 202hp/317tq.
I guess I can put that VDJ hood to use now.

Before I took my UK 80 to Africa, I had it prepped and tweaked by Julian Voelcker of Overland Cruisers in Hereford. He upgraded from an 80 to a later model 100 and put an alisport inter cooler and I think swapped on one of their turbo’s too. That along with a diesel pump tune and that thing was practically a race car. He tuned my diesel pump to give it a bit more life. Had I been able to keep it, I’d have certainly done an intercooler, and probably more. It was such a fun vehicle to drive. If I’m honest, I’m a tad envious of this animal you’re gonna get to drive. It’s gonna be a lot of fun! =)

We said goodbye today to Tony’s v8/6spd combo.

1677ADCC-E3D6-40D4-9D77-ED5BB83A72AF.jpeg

We are now back to a bare rolling chassis.

1FA78777-4B31-45C3-88BF-317E7A9BCB02.jpeg

Cheers

@SNLC, how’s this powertrain change going to affect what you’ve done to the chassis? IIRC, you welded the motor mount brackets on the chassis to have optimum distance between the firewall and the radiator. Will you reposition the mounting brackets, leave them be or something else entirely?

@TonyP, have you seen the 1HD-T troops build by Adolf Hüster in Johannesburg, South Africa? His came with a 1HZ originally, but he swapped in completely rebuilt 1HD-T, as well as a modified R151 gearbox. He’s put Recarro racing seats in for driver/passenger comfort and a slew of other things for him and his wife to use it as the ultimate overland rig. Here’s the link if not: Land Cruiser Club - Southern Africa - Login

@TonyP, have you seen the 1HD-T troops build by Adolf Hüster in Johannesburg, South Africa? His came with a 1HZ originally, but he swapped in completely rebuilt 1HD-T, as well as a modified R151 gearbox. He’s put Recarro racing seats in for driver/passenger comfort and a slew of other things for him and his wife to use it as the ultimate overland rig. Here’s the link if not: Land Cruiser Club - Southern Africa - Login

I haven't seen that. I'll check it out. Thanks!

I considered between a LS swap and a diesel . Its a tough decision. Since I would be traveling to south America that was a huge part of the decision. The other part of the decision was the cruiser would also be a daily driver before and after the trip. I chose LS because I considered there was a possibility the south America idea could fall through (which it has with covid)and I prefer petrol for daily driving. I didnt want diesel as a daily driver due to its noise and it takes a bit to start when cold. But the fuel mileage of diesel is also a big part worth considering. What kind of mileage will this diesel get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom