Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

😌

F13ED5CE-A881-4A9F-9DCF-AC16B7EB5C00.jpeg
D138C587-DACF-471C-BA15-70A9BC9C949A.jpeg
4A1A94D1-EF78-45AC-929F-3998AE0EFEB1.jpeg

Cheers

I considered between a LS swap and a diesel . Its a tough decision. Since I would be traveling to south America that was a huge part of the decision. The other part of the decision was the cruiser would also be a daily driver before and after the trip. I chose LS because I considered there was a possibility the south America idea could fall through (which it has with covid)and I prefer petrol for daily driving. I didnt want diesel as a daily driver due to its noise and it takes a bit to start when cold. But the fuel mileage of diesel is also a big part worth considering. What kind of mileage will this diesel get?

Webasto coolant heater. Truck is warmed up and quiet after 15min of it running. Not ideal to DD a diesel for short, around town trips but a coolant heater will make it easier on the engine and your neighbors with a quieter, less smokey start up. haha. Just put one in my 12HT Troopy and it's a game changer.

It was a bit of an asspain getting that thing here.
A little ****ery from the Germany company I bought it from but it all worked out.
Glad it finally made it.

Now to decide what transmission to use. I hear the A750F in the UZJ100 (and the tons of other A750 vehicles in the US) may not be the same box as the FTE A750F. I hear people saying it is, some say it isn't. Something about the clutch packs being different.

Last edited:
So is the date on the timing cover the last time the timing belt was changed? The date when the engine was pulled? The date when it ended up in the junk yard? Do we have any documentation of its history?

Take a picture of the block casting on the front RH side and let’s get a date on engine manufacture...

EDIT: Sorry if I’m overstepping my questions, Tony.

So is the date on the timing cover the last time the timing belt was changed? The date when the engine was pulled? The date when it ended up in the junk yard? Do we have any documentation of its history?

Take a picture of the block casting on the front RH side and let’s get a date on engine manufacture...

EDIT: Sorry if I’m overstepping my questions, Tony.

Timing belt and kms when changed. You can de-code it, give me time.

Cheers

So if you ever struggle with pulling FT or FTE injectors, this is the way. Super easy and these were stuck good.

4E9EE977-3206-4C79-9F24-F4C9A76CB7BE.jpeg

D62D0246-B105-4C05-8CE1-C02402387D54.jpeg

I don’t think this injector has ever been out, no way to know for sure besides the super old and rock hard oring on it.

546BC138-9DAD-49DD-9B1F-5C25EEE938CF.jpeg

That looks pretty good.

Cheers

Compression is tested on this FTE. Cold test obviously and we did check one cylinder wet.

I will leave it up to Tony to post results if he wants and what I feel any issues are.

We have tested x2 FT’s and now one FTE in the last week. So I am probably going to start a thread in the diesel section to discuss what we are seeing in my shop on these engines.

Cheers

Please do. Will be good information for others, Ian. It’s a waste of time in the 70 section, but would be valuable in the Diesel section of MUD.

I am curious what guys who may have decades of experience with the FT & FTE might say.

Cheers

If I Were To guess, I'd think it very difficult to find one that has not been worked really hard.

If I Were To guess, I'd think it very difficult to find one that has not been worked really hard.

Well, it's to bad we can't just buy OEM long blocks all day long.

Oh well, these engines can be rebuilt multiple times.

Cheers

Also @cruiserdan I do agree that to just find one is either hard or expensive or both. And if you find one, the only reason it is being parted out is because the power/drive train went down or the more likely event, the body and chassis rusted away before the rest died. I feel like Europe may still be one of the best places in the world to find these engines simply because the rust has killed the Cruisers so more are available and most people like to think 1st world countries = better maintenance over the life of the truck. As can be seen here in the forum though, no place in the world are Cruisers of any gen or model safe from doing work. The best is also usually snatched up local in whatever part of the world, we get the left overs for the most part.

Cheers

I planned on having the head pulled, reworked, and a full gasket job done anyways for peace of mind. So it is what it is.
I'm not too worried about it.
I got this FTE for a fairly decent price.

Wiring is going off to our guy Thrashlux in Australia. He's got an ECU and spill valve controller ready to go.
Also, I'm snagging one of his FTE converted H152s.
I'm not dead set on the manual but the AUD conversion rate is in my favor if I end up going A750F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom