The 85 Adventures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok this is my intro to the 85 world. I got an 85 one owner Az truck. No definite plans but want to build and update with my son. BTW he's ready for the 85 to be his, he's only 12...Today we were headed to Uwharrie to stretch her legs. Boy and I packed the rig last night (Spare tire, hi lift jack, water, jumper cables, portable air compressor, first aid kit, duct tape, electrical tape, extra oil, antifreeze, and stuff...). Woke up early squirrly this am. Boy was up and ready no issues....how come he can't be this excited for school. Hmmm. O dark 30 and we're rolling. Ok so my dash is dark who needs to know exact speeds anyway. Ten minutes later boy is hungry and I need coffee. Biscuits and ☕ ok now I'm feeling awake. Time to get back on the road. Love this time of day, sky is beginning to lighten up, stars are bright and its super quiet. Uwharrie is on our mind lets go. As the boy and I settle in the cab of the 85, elbows almost touching, springs in the seats providing a less than luxurious support but that's all part of the allure of the older trucks.
1028170708a.jpg
1028170708.jpg

That thing is sweet. Un-believeably clean. Enjoy.

Wow nice. Need more info on the truck. Love the old school double roll bar! What's the plans for it?

Plans for the 85... Hmmm that's a tough one. For now drive it and see what needs attention, which is what I did today and guess what needed attention, the starter. Its not easy finding a starter at 8am on Sat so I waited.. till the local NAPA opened up. The 85 had the original starter so I guess it was time.

I'll update the cab with some creature comforts, tweak the 22R some but no big plans to change her for now. I'm sure I'll find ways to open the wallet but I'm trying to be good for now.

My 87 was on it's original starter, I think the 3rd set of contacts (250K miles).

Keep the Denso and skip the Napa... especially on a minty truck.

Is this the same truck you asked opinions on a little while back? Did the salesman have any answers for you to the things brought up in that thread?

Keep the Denso and skip the Napa... especially on a minty truck.

Is this the same truck you asked opinions on a little while back? Did the salesman have any answers for you to the things brought up in that thread?

I had someone check it out in person. He had receipts so I felt good about buying it.

The truck was painted within the last few years. Not the best paint job but itll do. "5 Footer" job- good enough but not so good I'd feel bad about some trail lovin.

Few observations since I've had the 85 for about a week now:

1. Fires up/ cranks easily.
2. Drives straight/ shifts smoothly.
3. Does idle a bit high (1300 when sitting).
4. Loud inside the cab- may work on some Dynamat type stuff/ padding. BFG KM's might be adding to the experience.
5. Sweet spot is 39-43 MPH in 4th gear- oh so smooth.

To do: (When time and finances converge and the stars align)

Interior: In no order of precedence
1. Update Cab: Seats/ padding/ vinyl flooring
2. New front windshield/ back slider glass with gaskets
3. New mirrors (side and rearview)
4. Console with drink holders- can't drink my coffee and shift gears...
5. Dash light- at night can't see the display

Exterior: (#1 for now, the rest hmm maybe never)
1. New rubber: replace the KMs with KM2's 35/12.5/15
2. Sliders
3. Undercarriage armor
4. Front and rear bumpers/ armor
2. 9k ish winch

Engine:
1. ??? Still gonna drive it and see how she handles.

Trans:
1. Nothing for now

Suspension:
1. It came with L/T Pro Comp- not my choice but its new so Ill get some use out of it then see what direction to go

Axles/ Birfs/ Gearing/ Locker/ high steering:
1. This is where I see concentrating- but everything is good enough for now.

So, that'll only cost me about 10k. Crazy habit I have, there must be a support group for my addiction. Oh yea its called Ih8mud, wait yall are supposed to keep me outta trouble. Hmmm.

Last edited:
To do: (When time and finances converge and the stars align)

1. New rubber: replace the KMs with KM2's 35/12.5/15

Can I make a suggestion? I would not get the MT's, but would get the AT KO2's. I went from KM's to these and there is no going back. They work great, and are much quieter.

Can I make a suggestion? I would not get the MT's, but would get the AT KO2's. I went from KM's to these and there is no going back. They work great, and are much quieter.

I am considering KO's as well and I believe they wear better than the KMs. Yes suggestions are welcome...

I still have over 50% on my KM2's with 30k miles on them. Mainly city driving as well. But the road noise is something I can't tell as the truck I was driving was an 84 with no sound deadener.

DO NOT get the Moab seats unless you are a skinny fella. Plus, I haven't had mine for very long and they are coming apart.

Last edited:
Not what I wanted to hear about the quality of the seats...
Like I said, unless are you a real skinny guy, or a girl, you will not enjoy these seats. They are very narrow at the top and the bolstering can be uncomfortable.

20171104_112554.jpg

Damn, how long have you had these? I was looking at the neoprene version of this seat. There's a guy in my neighborhood that does upohlstery so I'm check with him.

Don't know. Maybe about 8 years. Maybe 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom