the 40 passed emissions again

DSRTRDR

I can mangle anything ...
SILVER Star
unfortunately failed a month ago, with high hydrocarbons on idle :mad:

and since Kevin is no longer among us :frown:, I had to find another option - brought the truck to AutoTech on Alma School in Mesa
yesterday the truck passed emissions again :bounce:

shout-out for Randy Eckler at AutoTech - he is an old school guy, and has very reasonable prices

I heard the state dropped the $32 public safety fee. Are you being charged that?Annual emissions and annual $32 gets expensive registering a hobby vehicle that really doesn't see that many miles. Having classic insurance with a stated valve is bad enough without the state adding on another $50 plus every year. Guess we should be glad the state doesn't look the average sale price at Barrett-Jackson each year and use that to calculate our value and use that to calculate the registration fee.

DSRTRDR

SILVER Star
Congrats. Do you know what they did?
yes: new spark plugs, tightened all the bolts on the carb, adjusted the idle mixture screw on the carb, replaced the airfilter (they didn't know it could be washed :doh:) - I had given them a carb rebuild kit, but they said it was running too good to mess with the innards of the carb :D (so I got the rebuild kit back)

in my experience, it helps to heat the engine up for a good 30-45 minutes driving around before pulling into the emissions station, so that's what I did, too

DSRTRDR

SILVER Star
price on the initial emissions test was $16 - re-test doesn't cost anything extra

I have environmental plates, so my registration costs a bit more than regular - my choice, no problem :meh:

I really don't want to carry classic or similar "collector vehicle" insurance, for the following reasons:

they preclude using the rig for wheeling ('off-road use' is the term used in their policies, and that even includes Forest Service Roads, so not even gravel roads are allowed; believe me, I asked them specifically); they also prohibit modifications from stock ('lifted' already disqualified me on the "collector car" policies offered by my current insurance company, for example - and not only for the 40, but also for the LX and the 80; not to mention the Blazer :doh:)

and on top of it all, they limit the number of miles you are allowed to travel in the vehicle (as if I know at the start of any given year where I am going to drive ? :rolleyes:) - and some of the policies even limit the uses you can engage in: "collector car" policies allow you to drive to a car show, enthusiast gathering, restoration shop or somesuch

but if you wanted to use it for regular trips to the grocery store, non-car-culture-related visiting your aunt in Idaho (from AZ), or towing the thing to your condo in Mexico for beach fun, you are out of luck as far as coverage goes - [disclaimer: I have neither an aunt in Idaho nor a condo in Mexico; these are just examples]

and by 'coverage', I am predominantly concerned with liability for damages to the other party - because that's what's going to ruin you financially - their medical costs or other damages are only covered if you use the vehicle strictly within insurance policy definitions

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom