The 2H/12H-T/1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Gturbo Alternative Tech Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Turbo is installed, I’m having a really hard time trying to hear any surging at all. I’m very used to what surging sounds like, but I’m not hearing it at all.

The truck gets up and moves (even with it only being at 13psi while I just make sure all is well with it). I’ve already put 1200 miles on it since I installed it this weekend (long trip down south and back). So far it’s perfect for what I’m doing with it, I’m dialing it up to 22-25psi and I’ll see how it does.

All in all I’m pretty happy with its performance, it seriously moves out on the highway and the off-roading I’ve done with it so far is leaps and bounds better than the stock turbo.

Had a feeling you'd enjoy it with the driving you do :). When surge occurs it's normally pretty obvious to hear and see on the gauge so I'd say you don't have any, that may change when you up the boost depending on fuelling/tune. So many haters say 18/20g is too big but I think they're perfect and would counteract there statement with the 16g is way too small. Each to their own though, not everyone drives their cars in the same way so it's no surprise not everyone likes the same turbo.

Turbo is installed, I’m having a really hard time trying to hear any surging at all. I’m very used to what surging sounds like, but I’m not hearing it at all.

The truck gets up and moves (even with it only being at 13psi while I just make sure all is well with it). I’ve already put 1200 miles on it since I installed it this weekend (long trip down south and back). So far it’s perfect for what I’m doing with it, I’m dialing it up to 22-25psi and I’ll see how it does.

All in all I’m pretty happy with its performance, it seriously moves out on the highway and the off-roading I’ve done with it so far is leaps and bounds better than the stock turbo.

Have you got a reliable EGT setup? Going well at 13psi suggests it's a hot tune.

Had a feeling you'd enjoy it with the driving you do :). When surge occurs it's normally pretty obvious to hear and see on the gauge so I'd say you don't have any, that may change when you up the boost depending on fuelling/tune. So many haters say 18/20g is too big but I think they're perfect and would counteract there statement with the 16g is way too small. Each to their own though, not everyone drives their cars in the same way so it's no surprise not everyone likes the same turbo.

What does surge look like on the gauges? What would you look for?

This is pretty convincing.

I do, pre turbo. Granted at 13psi it’s not a monster but it’s far better than the truck was with the stock turbo, enough that I don’t have to smash the throttle to pass or when climbing steep grades.

I intend on adjusting the fuel before upping the boost. EGTs don’t seem out of whack, 350-400C at 120kmh, 280-300 around town.

Have you got a reliable EGT setup? Going well at 13psi suggests it's a hot tune.

Been scrolling through this post for quite some time trying to get some info.

Got a 1hz with Denco turbo kit and running an auto box behind it. 33" muddies

Not sure if my turbo is just crap or shot. But i struggle to hold 100kph with my 1.6t camper behind me. Looking to do an upgrade turbo and seen the mambas

I tow a trailer every day of the week and tow my camper at least once a month so I need something that will tow good. Already setup with t3 manifold so no point changing out to a ct26 setup.

Going from the mamba site should i be looking for

16g 6cm
16g 8cm
16g 7cm
18g range

Any help muchly appreciated

I do, pre turbo. Granted at 13psi it’s not a monster but it’s far better than the truck was with the stock turbo, enough that I don’t have to smash the throttle to pass or when climbing steep grades.

I intend on adjusting the fuel before upping the boost. EGTs don’t seem out of whack, 350-400C at 120kmh, 280-300 around town.
From your other thread, am I right that some boost line routing to the boost compensator was also made correct when the turbo was done? If so, I would suggest that this would have quite an impact on how she drives

Been scrolling through this post for quite some time trying to get some info.

Got a 1hz with Denco turbo kit and running an auto box behind it. 33" muddies

Not sure if my turbo is just crap or shot. But i struggle to hold 100kph with my 1.6t camper behind me. Looking to do an upgrade turbo and seen the mambas

I tow a trailer every day of the week and tow my camper at least once a month so I need something that will tow good. Already setup with t3 manifold so no point changing out to a ct26 setup.

Going from the mamba site should i be looking for

16g 6cm
16g 8cm
16g 7cm
18g range

Any help muchly appreciated

Smaller turbine housing (6cm) will boost earlier, but will run out of legs at high RPM.
Smaller compressor (16g) will spool faster than a bigger compressor too.

For towing, 6cm and 16g will give you a lot of low end torque.
BUT your HZ will benefit from higher air flow from an 18g compressor.

What year HZ do you have?

Do you have gauges? EGT, Boost?

Its a 97 engine out of late 80 series, manual timing belt tensioner model

Has stock pump at the moment but looking to upgrade at some stage aswell.

Have boost guage and egt guage. I think the problem is mainly my turbo and tune. I have a front mount cooler and run 14psi at the motor. Heaps of people tell me the denco turbo is horribly ineficient at those boost levels and would be causing too much heat and needs to much fuel to boost at those levels.

Smaller turbine housing (6cm) will boost earlier, but will run out of legs at high RPM.
Smaller compressor (16g) will spool faster than a bigger compressor too.

For towing, 6cm and 16g will give you a lot of low end torque.
BUT your HZ will benefit from higher air flow from an 18g compressor.

What year HZ do you have?

Do you have gauges? EGT, Boost?

Heaps of people tell me the denco turbo is horribly ineficient at those boost levels and would be causing too much heat and needs to much fuel to boost at those levels.

Unless denco have changed to a more modern turbo in the past couple of years, there's loads of better options that will help produce more power but with a more sustainable tune for longer engine life

Around town I dont really notice the lack of power maibly i guess because of the auto. On the highway is where i struggle. So in the the range of 1500 - 3000rpm is where i want my power if thats not too hard to get.

From what your saying should i go an 18g 6 or 8cm?

If it spools hard until 3000rpm - 3200rpm i can just shift my auto patterns and change earlier to stay in peak power zone. I very rarely rev it high often

Its a 97 engine out of late 80 series, manual timing belt tensioner model

Has stock pump at the moment but looking to upgrade at some stage aswell.

Have boost guage and egt guage. I think the problem is mainly my turbo and tune. I have a front mount cooler and run 14psi at the motor. Heaps of people tell me the denco turbo is horribly ineficient at those boost levels and would be causing too much heat and needs to much fuel to boost at those levels.

No, 8cm turbine housing will boost late. Not as well suited for towing, more suited for top end power.

If you're towing, you want boost and airflow at low RPM for torque at low RPM
Torque is what gets you moving and makes a car more driveable with a load.

I just bought recently a Mamba 12-11 TD05-18G, same as Dave Wildnlost is using.
Will take some time till I get it build in cause I am busy with some other stuff on the truck.
photo_2019-09-18_18-50-28.jpg
photo_2019-10-03_21-10-08.jpg
photo_2019-10-03_21-09-54.jpg
photo_2019-10-03_21-10-15.jpg
photo_2019-10-03_21-10-20.jpg

I just bought recently a Mamba 12-11 TD05-18G, same as Dave Wildnlost is using.
Will take some time till I get it build in cause I am busy with some other stuff on the truck.
View attachment 2106280
Nice work on the truck. That is a great job on fabricating the bulkhead.
The Mamba turbo you have purchased has a 7cm exhaust housing. This may be a good decision. I finally got a chance to run my Cruiser for about 50km recently with the new motor. It is working better than ever.
I installed an Exhaust Manifold Pressure guage and found that I have quite a bit of topend rpm back pressure. Close to 40 psi at full throttle @24psi. Your turbo should relieve some of that with the 7cm housing. You also have an anti surge housing that was not available when I purchased my Mamba.
I cant wait to see your finished project.

Hi guys, first time poster here.
I've really enjoyed reading the entire 94pgs or so, but I need your help!
I've got a 1994 Hdj80 1HD-T auto, 4" lift on 33's, I've done a 4" in/out airbox mod, has top mount, Safari snorkel, a jap import 2 3/4 exhaust (was on it) and I have had the standard turbo running at 17psi for a few years now, I modded the fuel pin grinding the taper deeper and was running a tune that worked really well, responded well, egt's maxxed at 700deg pre turbo up long mountain pass, a slight puff smoke off the line, 350deg @11psi @100kph steady. EMP as expected relatively high at about 2:1 @3-3.5k rpm.
Gauges I've got boost & EGT, EMP, but do not have AFR yet.
So that's my back story, I've recently taken the plunge and bought and fitted a Mamba 12-11 Td05h 18g, I've changed nothing yet fuel wise and am really shocked at how high the egt's have shot up to and how relatively unresponsive it is.
It is sitting at 500deg at 100kph and only 5psi boost. It also only seems to want to boost to 17psi as well at max throttle even though I got greedy and installed the strongest alternative wastegate spring that came with the kit... EMP at 17psi and 3-3.5k rpm is about 30psi.
I realise I have to tune the fuel for it but I'm really confused about which way to go!
With the low boost response I'd up the fuel but the egt's are already high so I feel like that may only make things worse, what could possibly be wrong here? Could the 22psi wastegate spring be causing the high EGT by causing higher EMP?
Should I change it out for the 18psi spring?
Or do you think this is purely a fuel issue?
I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me!
Cheers Jeff.

20191217_165050.jpg

20190907_122315(0).jpg

Hi guys, first time poster here.
I've really enjoyed reading the entire 94pgs or so, but I need your help!
I've got a 1994 Hdj80 1HD-T auto, 4" lift on 33's, I've done a 4" in/out airbox mod, has top mount, Safari snorkel, a jap import 2 3/4 exhaust (was on it) and I have had the standard turbo running at 17psi for a few years now, I modded the fuel pin grinding the taper deeper and was running a tune that worked really well, responded well, egt's maxxed at 700deg pre turbo up long mountain pass, a slight puff smoke off the line, 350deg @11psi @100kph steady. EMP as expected relatively high at about 2:1 @3-3.5k rpm.
Gauges I've got boost & EGT, EMP, but do not have AFR yet.
So that's my back story, I've recently taken the plunge and bought and fitted a Mamba 12-11 Td05h 18g, I've changed nothing yet fuel wise and am really shocked at how high the egt's have shot up to and how relatively unresponsive it is.
It is sitting at 500deg at 100kph and only 5psi boost. It also only seems to want to boost to 17psi as well at max throttle even though I got greedy and installed the strongest alternative wastegate spring that came with the kit... EMP at 17psi and 3-3.5k rpm is about 30psi.
I realise I have to tune the fuel for it but I'm really confused about which way to go!
With the low boost response I'd up the fuel but the egt's are already high so I feel like that may only make things worse, what could possibly be wrong here? Could the 22psi wastegate spring be causing the high EGT by causing higher EMP?
Should I change it out for the 18psi spring?
Or do you think this is purely a fuel issue?
I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me!
Cheers Jeff.

View attachment 2162886

View attachment 2162891
Oh too, those egt's are pre turbo..

really shocked at how high the egt's have shot up to and how relatively unresponsive it is.
It is sitting at 500deg at 100kph and only 5psi boost.

500 degrees is barely above warm, certainly nothing too bat an eye at, and leaves plenty of room to play with fueling IF that is your peak EGTs

EGTs at highway speeds don't necessarily tell you a lot.

EGT is dependent on load. You'll get highest EGTs under sustained full load, WOT, lower RPM

It's best to test EGTs under full load for as long as possible.
My testing method was to set myself up to start a run up a long step hill but far from home. (even better if you can add 3-400kg+ to the back of the truck)

Start by coasting at close to idle in third gear (manual) as you approach the hill.
Pin the throttle to the floor, hold it to close to 4000rpm, shift to 4th and keep the throttle pinned.
By the time you got about 120km/hr you will be getting close to peak EGTs

I tuned for a maximum of 850°c pre-turbo in this scenario.
On a hot 38°c summer day pushing hard up a mountain range I saw EGTs go past this. In regular driving and towing a 750kg tool trailer, max EGTs where around 750c after long full throttle runs.

Many thanks @mudgudgeon , I guess I'm really surprised at the 150deg temp rise and 6psi boost drop with this turbo when I haven't changed the fuel yet.
I'll go find a local hill as you suggest, I am just very nervous as just accelerating to 100kph egt's hit 600degC on the flat, so I'm expecting going up a hill will send it high, but I'll find out I guess.
Any thoughts on the wastegate spring?

Many thanks @mudgudgeon , I guess I'm really surprised at the 150deg temp rise and 6psi boost drop with this turbo when I haven't changed the fuel yet.
I'll go find a local hill as you suggest, I am just very nervous as just accelerating to 100kph egt's hit 600degC on the flat, so I'm expecting going up a hill will send it high, but I'll find out I guess.
Any thoughts on the wastegate spring?
That does seem high, where is your egt probe located exactly? For reference my 1hd-fte 79 has a egt probe located in the manifold about 25mm from the side of the block in the old egr port. With a stock turbo, at about 12psi, no intercooler or chip, the absolute max I get get it to is 650° . Cruising is about 400 - 450° at 115km/h.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom