The 1974 Surf Wagon... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

830B92E4-CA0F-452A-BC59-F67E668A505A.jpeg
51EFCF5E-3D69-42BC-A00F-1765BF272740.jpeg

Nice door lol

Hold your applause until I get the door back from Pete the body guy.

This Lil piggy was on its way to the scrap pile at one point. Although I have completed mechanical upgrades at the end of the day, its still an old pile with all the ins and outs of fj55 ownership. I could have easily just keep the black 100 donor together as my driver (which had great closing doors) but what fun would that be?

That’ll cause a lil’ issue. Gonna weld the cracks and call it good or graft in a new section of sheet metal with welded nuts?
Not sure yet, but I’m thinking it’s going to require more than just a weld.

I thought it drove and steered just fine but then I was coming from a 60 with badly, badly worn BFG ATs :lol:.
How are the new km3? I’m sure a set will eventually find their way onto the 55.

How are the new km3? I’m sure a set will eventually find their way onto the 55.

New tires always >> old tires. If I had not gotten in on the early purchase deal I would have gone with another set of KO2s which have served me well. I'm beginning to put the miles on the KM3s and they've been good.

On a Friday I ran from NE AR south to MS taking back roads through farm land. The first part of the trip I was on poorly maintained paved roads that see a lot of large tractor traffic at times and large trucks. These roads are uneven, crowned, patched and while driving these roads I encountered heavy rains. I seldom ran over 45 to avoid hydroplaning with the worn KOs.

Had the KM3s mounted on the next day. The lugs give a noticeable rippling effect as they roll along, and with the deep lugs the tires feel little squirmy but overall not a bad ride. A little more road noise over the KOs. I made the run from Jackson, MS to AL on mostly dry roads. Coming into Montgomery I encountered very heavy rains and the new KM3s performed well in the wet conditions. Road surface was also much better than that of NE AR, but still the KMs never gave any indication of hydroplaning.

Being an MT over time the tire howl will increase and wet road capabilities are likely to decrease.

Need a new set of tires? :lol::lol: BFG AT KO2s

Last edited:
1B77012B-71A6-4A8D-B564-B59CFA5FBD21.jpeg
BC3B1D05-5632-4A68-A5F9-09786AC66A58.jpeg
New Dashtop “toupee” ala Cruiser Corps.

Save your self a few bucks and order off their website. I grabbed this one from their Ebay store, which was a few $ more and didn’t include the free shipping. (available on their site)

With that being said, Cruiser Corps Ebay price was still considerably less than what others were asking for the identical item, on Amazon.

Really spiffing her up!

Thanks. Just a few bits here and there to spruce it up. Having a black interior will return it to a more stockish looking rig. The tan seats and console really stick out.

I still need to make a gauge bezel and tie in the 80 shift surround to the 55 dash. Right now they both look unfinished/ incomplete.

CF71F0AB-E1C5-4629-9186-484A53A507E6.jpeg
93765C44-05C3-4CE8-966F-53C86D8EBD24.jpeg
It ain’t a pig unless you are miserable in a bench seat driving it yo

Funny. The suspension and seat cushion were so worn out in my last 55, I felt like was driving a low rider. Inside there was easliy a couple feet of headroom, as you almost sat on the floor. It was fun for the first few miles but...

This lil pig was built to be driven, so upgraded seats and suspension are in order. I’ve paid my bench seat dues.

:flipoff2:

Last edited:
View attachment 1786068 View attachment 1786069

Funny. The suspension and seat cushion were so worn out in my last 55, I felt like was driving a low rider. Inside there was easliy a couple feet of headroom, as you almost sat on the floor. It was fun for the first few miles but...

This lil pig was built to be driven, so upgraded seats and suspension are in order. I’ve paid my bench seat dues.

I’m just mad I spent the money rebuilding my bench.

Every mod I did to the Frankencruiser was supposed to the the "best"...lift, power steering, overdrive, etc. etc, etc. After eight years of daily driving and numerous road and wheeling trips, the "best" by far was ditching that damn bench seat and installing later model F-150 captains chairs with integrated shoulder belts and adjustable lumbar. Just wish they were power seats...might still look for some of those.

View attachment 1786068 View attachment 1786069

You sure did pay your dues. 2 Pig parties and one towing the Gypsy wagon thingy :steer::eek::confused:it's Deo :rofl:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom