Testing HIR lamps - What I found (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

$4 each on the above link...we shall see :hmm:
20170511_155120.jpg

20170511_155127.jpg

Well everything great product must come to an end. This past Saturday one of my Toshiba 65w HIR (no longer available) failed after almost 7 years of use. Sunday the other HIR failed. Without any hesitation I ordered the latest and greatest German made Vosla 9011 65w for Candlepower.com. Already install looking for another 7 years of life. FWIW I run HIR 9011 65 watt for both High and Low beams and get excellent coverage and never a problem.

did you consider LEDs?

Nope I have not seen or found a color/kelvin in LED to match HIR's excellent color. Also with 7 years of life and running with my lights on 75% of the time Im totally happy and see no reason to change. In addition all the LED headlights I have seen use a fan for cooling something else to fail I did not like.

did you consider LEDs?

Nope I have not seen or found a color/kelvin in LED to match HIR's excellent color. Also with 7 years of life and running with my lights on 75% of the time Im totally happy and see no reason to change. In addition all the LED headlights I have seen use a fan for cooling something else to fail I did not like.

AND this isn't a Civic or Supra Forum!

Well everything great product must come to an end. This past Saturday one of my Toshiba 65w HIR (no longer available) failed after almost 7 years of use. Sunday the other HIR failed. Without any hesitation I ordered the latest and greatest German made Vosla 9011 65w for Candlepower.com. Already install looking for another 7 years of life. FWIW I run HIR 9011 65 watt for both High and Low beams and get excellent coverage and never a problem.

Is Vosla another manufacturer ? I was under the impression Philips had the exclusive rights to HIR ?

Is Vosla another manufacturer ? I was under the impression Philips had the exclusive rights to HIR ?

I did not or have not tested the output of the German made Vosla lamps against the no longer available Toshiba (previously the top dog for the 9011 lamps) using my light meter but the seat of the pants driving says the output is very close to the same.

I did not or have not tested the output of the German made Vosla lamps against the no longer available Toshiba (previously the top dog for the 9011 lamps) using my light meter but the seat of the pants driving says the output is very close to the same.

I'm a bit confused. I was asking if there was another manufacturer other than Philips. For instance when you buy a Wagner 9011 they come marked Philips of Germany on the bulb. I had read something a few years ago about how Philips had purchased the rights to HIR technology and didn't think anyone else was making them. I guess it doesn't really matter, the HIR's are a great bang for the buck. I'm also running 9011's in all four lamps for a nice clean lighting upgrade.

I'm a bit confused. I was asking if there was another manufacturer other than Philips. For instance when you buy a Wagner 9011 they come marked Philips of Germany on the bulb. I had read something a few years ago about how Philips had purchased the rights to HIR technology and didn't think anyone else was making them. I guess it doesn't really matter, the HIR's are a great bang for the buck. I'm also running 9011's in all four lamps for a nice clean lighting upgrade.

DId some Googling

General Electric patented this new technology in 2000. Their goal was to create a bulb that produces as many lumens as an HID capsule, at a fraction of the cost. They got about 75% of the way there. The technology was licensed to Toshiba for automotive use.

Toshiba has discontinued the manufacture of this bulb and sold the technology to Phillips. Now Philips has sold the HIR technology to Vosla and we are offering the full line of Vosla bulbs.

Who is Vosla?

Vosla is a well respected manufacturer of high quality bulbs. Salvaged by Philips from the rubble of East Germany after the reunification, Vosla became Philips specialty division. charged with the manufacture of OE as well as High Performance and private label bulbs. In 2012 Philips moved their manufacturing from Germany to Poland and spun off the Vosla and Narva brands as an independent company operating out of the Plauen plant in Germany

Is it old news that the Wagner 9011 has these two protruding pieces on the inside? I'm trying to install them as low beams, but the headlight connector also has those two protruding pieces, so they don't connect.
DSCF3121.JPG
DSCF3122.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom