Testing HIR lamps - What I found (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what are most people using to make the 9011 bulbs fit more snugly? There was a mention of dialectic grease, any other options? Also I saw a thread where someone made a computer drawing of the dimensions to trim the tabs on the bulbs. I can’t recall if it was for 9011 fitment in the low beam side. If someone has the trimming dimensions that would be great. Thanks

So what are most people using to make the 9011 bulbs fit more snugly? There was a mention of dialectic grease, any other options? Also I saw a thread where someone made a computer drawing of the dimensions to trim the tabs on the bulbs. I can’t recall if it was for 9011 fitment in the low beam side. If someone has the trimming dimensions that would be great. Thanks
This is a very easy fit. Trim the tab and cut the slide. Just keep the stock bulb for reference. The 9011 fits fine

This is a very easy fit. Trim the tab and cut the slide. Just keep the stock bulb for reference. The 9011 fits fine
So maybe those with fitment issues trimmed a little too much off?

Don't know what you have done so far, but most people re-use the o-ring from the stock bulb and add it to the HIR bulb (so it has 2 o-rings) and then it fits just fine.

Don't know what you have done so far, but most people re-use the o-ring from the stock bulb and add it to the HIR bulb (so it has 2 o-rings) and then it fits just fine.
I haven’t done anything yet. Just some reading and thinking. Are the low and high sides different in terms of the tab trimming needed or are they same? I guess I’m asking if I keep pre trimmed spares can they work for both low and high sides. Thanks

I did hir’s a while ago, mid grade. Was such an upgrade without costing much. Great light cutoff and just clean.

Haven't done this bulb upgrade yet, but planning on it. Just wanted to throw in my two cents on the slee harness--I had to remove mine due to various headlight malfunctions over the course of 4 years. Took out the slee harness and all was right again. Stock harness works fine, no need to complicate things by stuffing more wires under the hood.
I did the sleep harness on my 91, it's a real pain because my battery is on the passenger side so it was hard to find a place for all the relays. Also I ordered new bulbs from slee for the high beams and they fit like crap, as in not tight in the socket. Now you got me thinking I should just remove it and update the low beam bulbs next.

Please dont beat me up to much for this stupid question. I dont understand the purpose of putting 9011's in all four locations does. Dont the high and low sockets work indpendently? Or when the hi9gh beams are turned on all four bulbs are on? I trying to decide if I get 9011 and 9012 or just 9011's.

When the high beams are on, all four bulbs are lit up.

The purpose of putting the 9011's in all 4 holes is that your low beams are a bit brighter than using 9012's in the low beam spot. And when the highs are on, well they're a little brighter then, too. :)

Ok. So 4-9011's it is. Ujust want to clairify no need to replace harness for this corrct? And only the low beam 9011's will need triming correct?

I trimmed all four bulbs to fit.

Ok. So 4-9011's it is. Ujust want to clairify no need to replace harness for this corrct? And only the low beam 9011's will need triming correct?
Correct, no additional wiring needed. And both high and low bulbs will need a little trimming. I have done both my rigs and find a small pair of diagonal cutters snip it right off. Remember, you can always cut more so be conservative with the trim.

Be sure to search and find a diagram on the trimming. It's a piece of cake with the wire cutters as noted. Some people have suggested cutting with a saw blade or filing, which I do not recommend. Those methods produce extreme stress on the delicate filaments of a bulb and you're probably significantly shortening the life at best. Just simple snipping with wire cutters works a treat. Once you have done this upgrade, you'll laugh at how simple it is and that you were concerned. Enjoy - superb light output awaits.

Hi from Europe-- I can only find Osram (made in germany) and Vosla 9011 and 9012 available. Anyone had any experience with Osram (they are also an OEM mfg)? Having read this excellent thread looks like Vosla is the old Philips. As I am running Right hand drive lights here in the UK and frequently drive on the Continent (left hand side-- my truck is Swiss left hand drive '06 HDJ100), does anyone have any experience how wide the beam pattern is compared with OEM bulbs-- I have PIAA in there now? I am assuming even though I can dip beams manually, I will need to put a 'blinder template' on the front lens given lumen upgrade of HIR. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom