Tesla Style Stereo Research - Landcruiser 2008-15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok so the AC vent controls now work as should. They had me cut and slice the Purple and Blue wires so they are swapped on the connector.

1597801397316.png

I'm still waiting on a response on the balance and fade issue. I'll post what they respond.

Ok so the AC vent controls now work as should. They had me cut and slice the Purple and Blue wires so they are swapped on the connector.

View attachment 2409040

I'm still waiting on a response on the balance and fade issue. I'll post what they respond.
That makes sense because you could increase the temp on the drivers side of mine and it would react to the stereo temp display the passenger side. I am so glad they are working with you and we are getting these things worked out for everyone.

This is their suggested fix for the fade and balance. Not from the equalizer option.

Trouble shoot article

That makes sense because you could increase the temp on the drivers side of mine and it would react to the stereo temp display the passenger side. I am so glad they are working with you and we are getting these things worked out for everyone.

let me know if that worked for you?

Thanks @schiller2300 for blazing the trail on this. I got the same unit and everything works but the factory backup camera. Did you have to do anything extra to get it working? Was there a certain connection that you knew was for the camera? I basically just blindly plugged in everything that would fit somewhere 😀 Not alot of skill here!

Thanks @schiller2300 for blazing the trail on this. I got the same unit and everything works but the factory backup camera. Did you have to do anything extra to get it working? Was there a certain connection that you knew was for the camera? I basically just blindly plugged in everything that would fit somewhere 😀 Not alot of skill here!
Blindly plugging things in is a very good description of how it works when installing these stereos. I think there are so many stereos for so many vehicle models that it would be way to time consuming to try and add instructions to each unit purchased for a particular vehicle. Hence the blind method. I did not use the factory camera. I replaced the factory camera with a cheap better quality HD from Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B074P45P7G
There are quite a few to choose from - they are all the same for the most part. I did modify the original mount to take the camera that I purchased. The hook up required that I provide power and connection to the reverse light along with running the video RCA plug to the unit. That was not fun but it was worth it with the better picture quality. Another unexpected perk was the back up guide lines from the camera overlay with the steering wheel guides. I have gotten used to this double feature because I don’t make an absent minded mistake of turning the wheel the wrong way on occasion.

Last edited:

i have a 2008 land cruiser, when I installed it, the harness for my vehicle had a yellow RCA cable that said camera, when you plug the other yellow RCA connector to it, it should work with your stock backup camera.

One more issue to sort out. I welcome any ideas from the gurus @gomez268 and @schiller2300 or anyone else who has been down this road.

I noticed I'm getting the airbag indicator light in the left cluster. It just stays on. Also, if someone sits in the passenger's seat the check engine light blinks twice and goes away.

This is a super cool unit. I highly recommend it. After this issue is resolved the project will be complete.

Last edited:
If you work through the balance and fade please post the outcome. Mine are set OK but have little control as you mention. This typically would be a big issue for me but hadn’t made it to my list to addresses.
Are you able to change some of the vehicle options light headlight delay etc? I saw the vehicle menu in the pics but I didn't know if you could change anything. I have an 08 and was hoping to be able to change basic options without taking it to the dealer every time.

YouTube Comprehensive Video on the CarGuru Launcher

I ran across this almost 40 min video on an alternate launcher called CarGuru that is very detailed on customizing. A launcher is the program that comes up when you first boot up your radio from turning it on. The stock launcher when you first boot up your stereo will have a half screen calendar and the vehicle roll/pitch tachometers (seems like an odd default selection but that is what it is). Another popular launcher is CarLauncherPro.

I want to update everyone on my own progress (which is slow as a snail). I have purchased the custom firmware from Sergey Kozlov several months ago ($99) but have yet to install it. (Snail remember) Again, my wait has paid off because he has come up with an update specific the the Landcruiser 200 series Tesla Unit. He contacted me and gave me instructions on installation which I hope to get to in the next week or so. Regardless of my progress I strongly suggest anyone that wants to know more to joint the Facebook group where he does a majority of his communicating through.

778EA4EB-30F8-4357-AD28-2876AA840A97.jpeg

YouTube Comprehensive Video on the CarGuru Launcher

I ran across this almost 40 min video on an alternate launcher called CarGuru that is very detailed on customizing. A launcher is the program that comes up when you first boot up your radio from turning it on. The stock launcher when you first boot up your stereo will have a half screen calendar and the vehicle roll/pitch tachometers (seems like an odd default selection but that is what it is). Another popular launcher is CarLauncherPro.

I want to update everyone on my own progress (which is slow as a snail). I have purchased the custom firmware from Sergey Kozlov several months ago ($99) but have yet to install it. (Snail remember) Again, my wait has paid off because he has come up with an update specific the the Landcruiser 200 series Tesla Unit. He contacted me and gave me instructions on installation which I hope to get to in the next week or so. Regardless of my progress I strongly suggest anyone that wants to know more to joint the Facebook group where he does a majority of his communicating through.

View attachment 2478440
What unit or Tesla company did you buy from? THX

One more issue to sort out. I welcome any ideas from the gurus @gomez268 and @schiller2300 or anyone else who has been down this road.

I noticed I'm getting the airbag indicator light in the left cluster. It just stays on. Also, if someone sits in the passenger's seat the check engine light blinks twice and goes away.

This is a super cool unit. I highly recommend it. After this issue is resolved the project will be complete.

What do you guys have to say about glare on these things? I have read in the GX threads the glare in dir sunlight is terrible.

Even though Phoenix seems to have better customer service, it's still kind of a sh** show. Before ordering I emailed them a pic of my dash and OEM radio to verify which unit would be compatible with my LC. The response I received was that both the 12.1" and 16" units (shown below) were compatible, a few days after ordering the 12.1" (submitting the same pic) I received another email stating only the 16" was compatible and my order had been canceled. o_O

Question:
On the 16" when you activate the outside temp in settings, is that reading off of the car sensor or just info through a hotspot, etc.

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 3.11.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the information and videos, I am definitely going to use these when my unit arrive...

Phoenix is from the US which resell these Chinese units. I have not pulled the trigger bc of Covid & the temp button issues.

Who has ordered the 16”, how much, & time to deliver?

Thank you in advance

Phoenix is from the US which resell these Chinese units. I have not pulled the trigger bc of Covid & the temp button issues.

Who has ordered the 16”, how much, & time to deliver?

Thank you in advance
I ordered the newer 17” instead of the 16” from Phoenix, it took about 3 weeks from order to door step. 5 days of actual shipping, as mine came straight from China via fedex. You might get the 16” much sooner if they have it in California.

I ordered the newer 17” instead of the 16” from Phoenix, it took about 3 weeks from order to door step. 5 days of actual shipping, as mine came straight from China via fedex. You might get the 16” much sooner if they have it in California.
Thx Coleman

have u installed it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom