TC gears vs diff ring/pinion for regear? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tang has made it to outer space in the 60's. That really high !!!! :flipoff2:

h

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely happy with the way that played out.

I just I stalled t case gears both low range and high rang and I am very happy with it. That
Being said I would make the desision on what else you want to do and what else your truck needs. If you diffs or axles need by repairs or service then I was do the diffs. If your t case needs some love or has leeks then do the t case. I also did part time kit. If you want that stuff then the t case and just do it all at once. The high range ears are perfect for 315s IMHO. Yes there is some noise. I have not had it off road but just playing with it in a parking lot the low range are great. Just driving in a parking lot in low it shifts into 2nd before the speedo even moves. Feels much lower in low range.

I just I stalled t case gears both low range and high rang and I am very happy with it. That
Being said I would make the desision on what else you want to do and what else your truck needs. If you diffs or axles need by repairs or service then I was do the diffs. If your t case needs some love or has leeks then do the t case. I also did part time kit. If you want that stuff then the t case and just do it all at once. The high range ears are perfect for 315s IMHO. Yes there is some noise. I have not had it off road but just playing with it in a parking lot the low range are great. Just driving in a parking lot in low it shifts into 2nd before the speedo even moves. Feels much lower in low range.

so my choice to do the TC gears is If I do the diffs, I want to do lockers as well because i don't like double handling stuff like that. Also, I'd want to do all the other seals and bearings. as well as front discs and pads and while i'm at it have the callipers recoed. too much money at the moment unfortunately, and likewise, there are no problems with the front or rear diffs/axles etc but if i start stuffing around with it, there will be.

I'm interested to hear more about the noise from the TC gears in your 80 @rc51kid is that both hi and low range, is it louder than a set of 315 tyres on the street at 30mph, is it only noticeable in some instances etc.

so my choice to do the TC gears is If I do the diffs, I want to do lockers as well because i don't like double handling stuff like that. Also, I'd want to do all the other seals and bearings. as well as front discs and pads and while i'm at it have the callipers recoed. too much money at the moment unfortunately, and likewise, there are no problems with the front or rear diffs/axles etc but if i start stuffing around with it, there will be.

I'm interested to hear more about the noise from the TC gears in your 80 @rc51kid is that both hi and low range, is it louder than a set of 315 tyres on the street at 30mph, is it only noticeable in some instances etc.
It is in high range. It is discussed in some other threads. Kind of a high pitched gear whine. It does not bother me but might bother some other people. I also just replaced a set of cooper stt pro that had 50,000 miles on them. I am sure that the old tires made more noise that the gears. But my new Yokohama g003 are pretty quiet and I can hear the gears. I hear it most at low speeds. It is the worst at about 40mph. Over that wind, tires and other noise are louder. Even with the radio sin just a little I don't really hear it. But I do have bad hearing.

If you drive a nice pristine stock truck with no roof rack, like to do no music while driving you will hear it. Still, it might not be a bother.

Some people are really type a and really enjoy the quiet luxury aspect of these trucks. Those people will probably be bothered by it.

It is in high range. It is discussed in some other threads. Kind of a high pitched gear whine. It does not bother me but might bother some other people. I also just replaced a set of cooper stt pro that had 50,000 miles on them. I am sure that the old tires made more noise that the gears. But my new Yokohama g003 are pretty quiet and I can hear the gears. I hear it most at low speeds. It is the worst at about 40mph. Over that wind, tires and other noise are louder. Even with the radio sin just a little I don't really hear it. But I do have bad hearing.

If you drive a nice pristine stock truck with no roof rack, like to do no music while driving you will hear it. Still, it might not be a bother.

Some people are really type a and really enjoy the quiet luxury aspect of these trucks. Those people will probably be bothered by it.

I think that I'll be fine with the gear noise. @cruiseroutfit there is an email order in your inbox

My truck is pretty quiet and I have virtually no gear whine from the UD gears. Here is the review I wrote just after installing them. Still super happy with them after my last trip towing my trailer.

How did you go with this @lumbee1 i’m about to order the high tang underdrive and low range reduction gears from cruiser outfitters
At the time, TC gears were expensive and low and high gears would have cost about the same as ring and pinion. I also wanted a more underdrive than 10% so I went with 4.88 ring and pinion. 10% underdrive is closer to 4.56 gears. While there are lots of posts saying regearing made very little difference, I wholeheartedly disagree. 4.88's help with weight management, city driving, highway cruising, rolling hills, and especially offroad crawling. My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner.

Installed the lower low and underdrive high gears from Cruiser Brothers about 1,500 miles ago. Valley Hybrids did the install. Couldn’t be happier dealing with both Georg and Ward. Good guys.

Running 315 tires and LOVE the re-gear.

On the highway, it is subtle but noticeable. We live at 4,600 feet and far less straining on hills. It does spin about 10% higher rpms as expected, but just feels much less strained trying to accelerate going up hills. Cruising at highway speeds is fine, but I rarely drive over 75 anyway.

Off road? The lower low plus the underdrive is awesome! Done about 100 miles so far. Low range and low gear slows everything down so that a trail I used to have to brake on I can now just idle down the hill. Doing the same trail near my house in low range, cruiser just seems happier in every gear.

Overall, I’d give it 10/10.

@cruiseroutfit everything arrived including a sweet t shirt thank you Kurt.

605C700F-FA22-4537-A5B7-60BA4DDE7FAC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom