Taking care of AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will my AHC system last longer if i do not use it often?

For instance, i can decide to switch it off so that i only switch back on only if it is really necessary. Is this even a good idea?

The "Off" button is so the system won't automatically adjust the height when hooking up a trailer or times you don't want the height going up and down. For maintenance, the best you can do is change the fluid at regular intervals and put a sign on the reservoir, "Do not add brake fluid. Do not touch."

I’ve always had the moto of use it or lose it 🤣.

Part of the reason I ask this question is because of the following.

Assuming you leave your car in the garage/workshop for repair, or at a washing bay. Then someone will enjoy playing with the AHC switch. Most of these people have no idea of the stress being exerted on the AHC pump. If they have the idea, still they don't feel the cost of maintaining it. I have witnessed people switching my car from L-N-H continuously until I stop them.

But I agree with the motto of "use it or lose it". In general, anything NOT used regularly might fail faster than the one which is often used. A simple example is the car sunroof (and lots of other examples).

My initial understanding was that the AHC is only for adjusting heights from L-N-H. So I thought switching it off would not affect anything else, but it seems it does. Can somebody please clarify?

I’m sure someone else has all the real terms but, AHC = Adjustable Hight Control.

AVS = Adjustable variable suspension (I think)

So it is also it’s own dampening system, soft->firm. I’m assuming (don’t have AHC) the dampening system determines how much those rams move on bumps, turns. There’s globes, rams, and springs.

If you drive the truck your system is in use. When it starts to go south that’s why you get the people posting about extremely harsh rides.

I highly recommend catching up on the AHC thread. It’s filled with more info then you’ll need at first.

Going up and down a few times in a parking lot is arguably less stress than they see when people are out wheeling these with bumpers+gear. I wouldn’t want someone doing it nonstop though, that could overheat a pump.

Last edited:
I routinely put in L on parkkngs. Looks so much better:) and occasionally run through H. My rationing on doing that - I want fluid to move. Pump works regardless- I even see car leveling itself at stop lights.
I think fluid changes and proper adjustment (so the pressures is in threshold) is all you need.

Also, advice above to put label on fluid tank is very good. LX470 I just got had AHC killed by first owner - they put windshield fluid in a tank

My initial understanding was that the AHC is only for adjusting heights from L-N-H. So I thought switching it off would not affect anything else, but it seems it does. Can somebody please clarify?
That's incorrect.
The AHC is your syuspension system.
The globes and the shocks are working together as a normal shock in any other car.
By pushing the off button, the car will not adjust for any weight differences and will not level out.

That's incorrect.
The AHC is your syuspension system.
The globes and the shocks are working together as a normal shock in any other car.
By pushing the off button, the car will not adjust for any weight differences and will not level out.
I get the point! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom