Tacoma - Opinion

fjfar80

GOLD Star
Website
www.flickr.com
All -

I know some of you have some Taco experience. I am looking at picking up a 2009 Dual Cab 4wd out of San Antonio - I talked to Jacque about the strengths and weaknesses of the truck. It sounds like with a suspension upgrade and a few pieces of armor, they are pretty decent.

To avoid the follow-up questions - I am thinking about buying one - mildly upgrading it for light off-roading and using it for camping, hunting, etc. Mildly upgrading = Icon Vehicle Dynamics suspension and Upper Control Arms, installing an ARB locker up front (it has a rear e-locker), putting on some Slee sliders, some Demello skid plates, an ARB bumper with a M8000, a rear bumper (undecided manufacturer), snorkel, super charger, and running 33" BFG At's.

I really like the idea of being able to mount a rooftop tent on the bed rails - at my height this would be ideal as I could easily open it up and re-package it - without worrying about falling 7+ feet off of the roof rack of the 80. Also, it is easier to throw a dead deer, hog, etc. in the back of a truck than in the back of an 80 or on the rooftop.

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

wngrog

SILVER Star
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
I had a 2005 double cab TRD. I OME'ed it and ran some 285's on it.

I took it all over Superlift with all the more capable rigs. The locker/wheelbase combo was really good. It was a great mild wheeler. I say it is almost as good as an 80 in that sense.

As for the truck itself, it was the most boring vehicle I have ever owned. I just could not get into it.

For what you are planning, it is a great platform.

176377675_sLnCs-XL.jpg

If you can find a good one that is the model year before this, I think it is a better all-around wheeling platform and it gets much better fuel economy.

159667480_55LQD-O.jpg

159667676_CfPcu-O.jpg

159667811_NwEbt-O.jpg

I have an 04, and I much prefer the looks of it vs. the later model.

I have an Xtra Cab, and it does alright for what I need. I'd rather have the 4 door. Mine is the 3.4L w/ 5 speed, TRD, 4WD. I get an honest 21 MPG highway with 275/70 R17s (too dang wide and a little too tall). Stock otherwise.

Good solid platform for what you're looking to do, Mark. Rooftop tent with a drawer system underneath, and that'd be the cat's meow.

Solid words of wisdom from Nolen.

The '05+ is a big freakin truck. I saw one parked next to a mid 80's Chevy 1/2 ton and it was every bit as big. I'm waiting on Toyota to offer another compact truck but not holding my breath...

Yea I find it villainous too. The fuel economy numbers are based on a stock truck run in perfect conditions. I will tell you this it cost me $20 in fuel to drive to the Cherokee and back at the last meeting.

I think I would rather have a first gen Tundra to build than the 2005+ Taco

I LOVE my GenII and I can haul a friggin house with it if need be. The brakes on this thing are unbelievable, I flat tow Lorena with no brakes other than the tundra and it's nothing. The price on the '07-'10 seem to be cheaper than the Tacos! And the fuel economy isn't far off.
Mark, for what you're doing, a built up 4x4 Tundra would be billy-bad-ass

2009 SEMA Tundra Bed and Cab Racks

fjfar80

GOLD Star
Website
www.flickr.com
I like the Tundras...but, they are not short guy friendly. I think I am going to buy this Taco I am looking at and see how it goes. It still has 15,000 miles on the factory warranty so, if I choose to sell....I have a small window to take advantage of that. I appreciate all the input...we will see how it goes.

I'd love it if they offered the diesel in the Tacoma...that would be awesome.

- Mark

I like the Tundras...but, they are not short guy friendly. I think I am going to buy this Taco I am looking at and see how it goes. It still has 15,000 miles on the factory warranty so, if I choose to sell....I have a small window to take advantage of that. I appreciate all the input...we will see how it goes.

- Mark

For a mere 25k there is a guy in San Antonio that will put a D4D in it for you.

I had an 03 4 door with the locking rear diff and it was awesome.....still trying to figure out why I sold it.....I like that bodystyle better, but regardless of year, it's a great platform for what you are planning. I would go for it. the narrower body allows it to get on trails a Tundra can't....Andy's tundra rides great...but for your needs I vote Taco

I like the drawer system with tent on top idea.

Last edited:
All -

I know some of you have some Taco experience. I am looking at picking up a 2009 Dual Cab 4wd out of San Antonio - I talked to Jacque about the strengths and weaknesses of the truck. It sounds like with a suspension upgrade and a few pieces of armor, they are pretty decent.

To avoid the follow-up questions - I am thinking about buying one - mildly upgrading it for light off-roading and using it for camping, hunting, etc. Mildly upgrading = Icon Vehicle Dynamics suspension and Upper Control Arms, installing an ARB locker up front (it has a rear e-locker), putting on some Slee sliders, some Demello skid plates, an ARB bumper with a M8000, a rear bumper (undecided manufacturer), snorkel, super charger, and running 33" BFG At's.

I really like the idea of being able to mount a rooftop tent on the bed rails - at my height this would be ideal as I could easily open it up and re-package it - without worrying about falling 7+ feet off of the roof rack of the 80. Also, it is easier to throw a dead deer, hog, etc. in the back of a truck than in the back of an 80 or on the rooftop.

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

This is twice in almost a week your thinking of something other than the 80. Are you planning on keeping the 80 and getting a TACO? You could always get a trailer and put a RTT on it but keep it lower than it would be on the 80. If you want to play with my RTT one weekend let me know.

fjfar80

GOLD Star
Website
www.flickr.com
I had every intention of keeping the 80...but, almost fell off the roof rack this weekend working on it. Not a good experience...probably would have ended up breaking both of my femurs again...since they are a bit weaker now. So, exploring some other options...some lower options.

- Mark

fjfar80 said:
I had every intention of keeping the 80...but, almost fell off the roof rack this weekend working on it. Not a good experience...probably would have ended up breaking both of my femurs again...since they are a bit weaker now. So, exploring some other options...some lower options.

- Mark

Makes sense. Wes has shown what you can do with a Taco.

- Mark

I saw tons and tons of Hilux trucks with the diesel in Belize.

I know it's crazy, but have you thought about ponying up and finding one of those? The importing of that might be a true nightmare, but I know that's not our of your reach :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom