T-Case differences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Box Rocket

SILVER Star
Threads
I know that the '91-92 t-cases are shorter than the later 1FZ powered 80s, but is a '93-94 tcase interchangeable with a '95-97 tcase? The transmissions changed from the A442F to the A343F but I wasn't sure if the cases changed?

Any one have an answer?

They are a different case, though.

Also.

giphy.gif

Mechanical vs electrical and they have these weird plates coming out of them that like to fold over when they touch rocks.

That's about all I can remember, sorry. If I were going to switch out transfer cases, I would look for a hundy case; no VC and it's shorter, so you could get a longer rear driveshaft and make the u-joints a bit less pissed on a lifted rig.

Pic related, plates have touched rocks.

IMG_0233.JPG

Can you share what the differences are?

There are three 80 transfer cases:

HF1A- part time
HF2A- full time
HF2A(V)- above + viscous coupler

HF2A is ~ 5" shorter than the HF2A(V), the distance the rear extension housing for the viscous coupler.

All are electronically engaged, electronically controlled (**)

They're all interchangeable, as far as BH, bolt pattern and spline counts, between HD/FZ specific autos and H150F/H151F manual transmissions.

That does not mean they're interchangeable across the 80 platform, since most (if not all) HF1A were absent ABS.

Interesting question. I like the idea of the longer DS to smooth things out. Hundy case sounds best.

So @Box Rocket , are you going to clue us in? Or do we wait and see?

Does anyone know if the HF1A transfer case will bolt up to the A343F transmission of a 96 FZJ80?

There is one variant of the HF1A wich it's complete manual ..

main.php

No 80 series institutions that I've found, only 7Xs, and few and far between since they'd be limited do the FZJ7Xs.

image.jpeg

Not to say they don't exists, but so damn few even Google can't find them, and the shifter would come up somewhere under the 80 dash.

Does anyone know if the HF1A transfer case will bolt up to the A343F transmission of a 96 FZJ80?

Yes.....but same issues with the TCU that part timing causes.

HFs (pre VDJ institutions, which may be the same, or may not, I don't know) have the same mating surface pattern, splines, so forth.

HF2A(V) where the extension housing for the viscous coupler is evident.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Can the CDL motor be taken out and a shift linkage be connected to where the CDL was? That would be too easy.

There are three 80 transfer cases:

HF1A- part time
HF2A- full time
HF2A(V)- above + viscous coupler

HF2A is ~ 5" shorter than the HF2A(V), the distance the rear extension housing for the viscous coupler.

All are electronically engaged, electronically controlled (**)

They're all interchangeable, as far as BH, bolt pattern and spline counts, between HD/FZ specific autos and H150F/H151F manual transmissions.

That does not mean they're interchangeable across the 80 platform, since most (if not all) HF1A were absent ABS.

Must have been thinking of something else with the electrical thing. Whatever. :meh:

But the 93 and 94 had viscous couplers and yet they're different part numbers; in fact, there's a total of four part numbers for transfer cases (including 91-92) for the US 80, all of which had full time 4wd. :hmm:

Interesting question. I like the idea of the longer DS to smooth things out. Hundy case sounds best.

So @Box Rocket , are you going to clue us in? Or do we wait and see?
Nothing to clue you in on...yet. The question stemmed from a conversation over the weekend with a friend that is having some issues with his VC and was looking at options including swapping t-cases. As we discussed it I didn't know whether or not different model year cases were interchangeable or not. Now I know. Useful info dontcha think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom