Sway bars - like 'em on a pig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was having a beer under my truck and I started thinking about sway bars.. Keeping in mind I am installing the wider 60 axles, 35s, new stiff j70 leaf packs, that i may travel for hours on highway to get to wheeling/hunting locations, think I need 'em?

I've read that pigs can get a little squirrely without them in, also read guys go highway speeds no issues - of course they probably aren't turning at speed. Some guys like them off road, others do quick disconnects.

I have the rears still attached and could fab a couple of mounts quick and extend if I need to.

I have a question too, did them come with front sway bars? I sold my old axles and honestly can't remember (but I seem to have an extra bar in my pile with stuff i took off the truck). If yes, pic of original mount point would help.

20210113_194406.jpg

I actually lost a bolt on one of my links at the ORV park a few months ago and just pulled the sway bar off. Highway use hasn't really changed (OME lift springs and shocks) but off-road gets tippy when it's off camber. I plan on putting it back on.
I'm still running stock axles though. Just my two cents

60s came with a front sway bar, I have one on mine, but I failed an attempt at altering the rear bar, so I'm running without the rear bar. Someday will get a good rear sway bar.

No sway bars for me. My 1968 had shoe brakes that were changed to disks with the outer hubs from a 60, so no sway bar as the 55 axle is less wide than the stock 60 and the 60 sway bar would be a tough fit. The rear axle was exchanged for a 60 so no sway in the rear as the upper mounts were removed to make room for a large fuel tank and the axle mounts were not switched over to the 60 axle. Running 33 inch tires with a 2.5 inch lift

Good for on-road manners. Off road, kind of a toss-up. Ran for years with one, then ran into a strange instance that caused me to remove it. Nice flex off-road without, more dive and roll on-road going around corners and round-abouts. Get kind of used to it and learn not to drive like a speed racer. Going back together, I’d like to have one with some kind of a quick disconnect setup.

So it sounds like they only came with the rear bars, interesting, I would have thought if only one bar, it would have been the front. Well, since mine is dangling there and I don't have a kilt for it, i may as well throw on a couple of mounts and hook it up, can always disconnect it later.

My pig does/did not have them on rear or front. On road was fine but when I loaded up I got some rockabilly going. Pig Party people saw that a few times. A lot of webernetting and laying under my pig I have come to this... Full leaf system you can probably get away without a sway bar. I have a theory, but I am pretty sure I am on the right track. My leaf springs are a bastardized SOA that the PO did. The leafs are flat and when I load it I am getting a frowny face spring and I think that is my issue. A sway bar is probably a bandaid for me so I have to address the spring issue and then see if a sway bar is needed. The flip side of that is now I am coilover in the front and feel like I will need a sway bar but the room is really tight up there.

I'm running 55 axles with a slight lift, 33s and most suspension bits like bushings, TREs etc. redone with the build. Only an OEM rear sway bar. Didn't like the handling at all when a link broke a year or so ago and I ran it that way until I could find a replacement. OK on the straight highways but didn't appreciate the "tippiness" in all other circumstances.
I might be super-sensitive as my baseline is my mid-engine 914-6 which still has most of the track-based suspension mods re-done only slightly for what we enjoy now, touring.

I don't see any sway bars on my 79. Anyone have a pic of the set up?

20201002_131150.jpg

Yep stock 55 was rear only. When I added the 60 axles I kept the rear and added the front sway bar. My 40 has none and I can definely tell the difference between the two vehicles. I haven't ventured in to off road territory for any comparisons. My sway bar may be masking the same issues megadoomer has with flat springs. Im contemplating buying a set of new 60 front springs and picking it apart to rebuild my stock packs. (Swap in every other leaf to replace 55 leaves.)

@NikP would you have a pic of your front connection points? I am thinking of just running the rear, but hanging on the the front bar just in case - I don't even know if the one I have is for the 60, might have fallen off one of the other trucks...

@NikP would you have a pic of your front connection points? I am thinking of just running the rear, but hanging on the the front bar just in case - I don't even know if the one I have is for the 60, might have fallen off one of the other trucks...
This is one picture I have handy. If you need more I'll be back united with my 55 next week and can take more

F40F457B-19FE-42D5-B91C-50A293921A72.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom