Swapping Upper Tailgate Hatch and Glass? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some advice about how to swap an upper tailgate hatch swap and hatch glass.

Let me walk you through the scenario, any advice or direction from this braintrust is most welcomed.

When I bought my '04 LC, the rear upper tailgate hatch was rusting out. (It came with the dealer-installed black plastic rear wind deflector, and I believe some sloppy drill work started the slow but inevitable march to rust.)

As future prep, I sourced a replacement, rust-free hatch from a junkyard vehicle. (No wind deflector installed or other holes drilled.)

Now, I have the original, rusty tailgate hatch still installed, AND the rust-free replacement. HOWEVER, I've noticed the OEM glass in both hatches appear different; rusty hatch has the typical opaque(ish) black SUV tint, rust-free one has a more transparent, almost mirrored/silvered tint.

My questions are twofold:

1. How do I swap rusty rear hatch for rust free one?

2. How do I swap the glass? Worth it as DIY, or find a reputable auto glass shop?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

For the hatch, it's just two struts, two hinges, and an electrical connection up top covered by a boot. When you pull the hinges, be ready, thing is heavier than you think. For the glass, I'd have a shop do it unless you've done glass before.

#2 I have a local guy do all my glass stuff, it's not worth it to me to try.

#1 remove the plastic molding on the inside edge of opening, fish out the connectors for the wiring, disconnect, remove the hatch struts if good remove the upper end, if bad remove the lower end and replace, the bolts can be seen to remove from hinges, remove bolts and hatch should be free.

IMG_7476.JPG

Folks, thank you immensely for these answers. Just what I need to kickstart this project...

As for pricing questions, send me a PM and I'll be happy to share my experiences.

Cheers,

SLVRSCRN
Boston, MA

Reviving this thread - what was the outcome @SLVRSCRN? How hard was it to get the hatch lined up so it didn’t fit crooked / rattle against the hinge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom