Supercharger? Yeah or Nah (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1993 FZJ80.. 225k when purchased last month. Want to look at options for S/C but i wonder if it would be a good idea with the miles on the rig. Where can I get one? Manufacturer? and or is it not a good idea?

Just spent 3k baselining the rig so I would think it is good to go.

Thanks. Brian
IMG_0520.jpg

They haven't been made for quite sometime now, only way to get one is second hand and they are very rarely sold. Consider the @NLXTACY turbo kit, much better for a slew of reasons.

Here is my .02 on this subject.

I have a 95 with fairly low mileage for its age, 190K. I see a turbo as cheap HP for my truck as a daily driver and thought about it a lot. But I keep coming back to the same question....

"How wise/ or safe is it to add boost to an engine that already has that many miles.

Just think.. all the leaks and blow by that the engine already has will just be multiplied..

Tell me I am wrong and I may reconsider...."

Any issues you currently have will be made worse by adding any type of boost (turbo/SC)

Reactions: RFB
I put a turbo on my truck with 315k miles and haphazard maintenance, I did not regret it. I am a little atypical. :eek:

What about those of us stuck in Commiefornia? :(

Guys should go turbo and sell me their SC.

Wits' End turbo kit will be Kommie approved if all goes according to plan.

If you want to force the mainfold, then do so.
But expect that all the issues your motor has now will be accelerated in showing up.

I stop-gapped by getting a 5.7 Tundra to tow, as that was my only complaint at the time for the HP/TQ need - and I sold my S/C as it had more value pre-release of the turbo than after it does hit the market. Currently it is the only CARB-approved 1FZ bolt-on power adder.

I’m betting you see some / a few used S/C’s come up for sale when the turbo kit has some time on the market - maybe even some used take-offs from guys anticipating doing a turbo - I sold my S/C as I knew the turbo kit was coming and turbos now are not like talking turbos ~15yrs ago.

So while the S/C market is bare now, my opinion is they will appear more frequently in the future than the last 24-36mo. But that’s speculation on my part.

Turbo > S/C -I doubt anybody here will argue that who understands modern ones.

Add to that the CARB cert, Joey’s turbo is just going to be the final answer.

That’s my opinion.

Wait, that turbo kit will get a CARB cert?

Yes

CARB process begins the moment I take the truck in. Likely Tuesday. From there it will be about six months. But I apply for 49 state first which is quick. I can then sell as 50 state CARB pending sometime after that while waiting for final.

Turbo for sure. And a SC is half pointless without a intercooler.

Im getting ready to turbo my FZJ80 with the parts that @Heckraiser used. (my setup will be a bit different then his lol)
I suggest digging around on the forums. The more I dig the more I find people that did SC and turbos. Turbos win hands down!

Time to run a full bar and wake these engines up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom