Stuck in ABQ, NM! ( 80 series Headgasket failure) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all... probably not posted in the right place, but here is my situation-

80 series #3 for me; first time having to deal with headgasket probs.

Hoping it is just HG and not water pump as well; I am a rancher in Western NM, came into ABQ for monthly costco shopping, pick up hardware, animals, and other stuff; and then...this happens.

ISO- wrenching space, guidance/help with repair. have my own sockets, and thats about it.

Help, advice, etc all welcome! have been searching through multiple HG threads last night and today, looking here to see if anybody can offer wrenching space

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

-C

I'm going to cross-post this to High Desert Cruisers. Lots of 80-series owners over there.

Happy easter, and this isnt an April Fools joke, unfortunately

IMO you'd be better off asking for a flatbed and bring that puppy home to work on it.

it went from bad to worse really quickly, leading from #6 piston, blowing steam on firewall, cant see oil, no white smoke, hopefully its just water issue. I live in a very remote area, getting it trailered in to my place even would be a huge ordeal. Want planning on heading back in until 3rd or 4th anyway, but this definitely puts a kink in things.

The expense will not outweigh the cost of the vehicle nor the value it holds as far as my living situation is concerned, so selling it isnt even an option; repairing it myself as qujickly as I can seems like it is my only real option

Hmmm. I’m out of town, will be back Tuesday night. I have a tow pig and trailer and a day off Wednesday the 4th. If you don’t have anything sorted out by then I prolly could get you and your rig close to home.

You can’t limp it home? If the head gasket is gone it’s gonna take days to
Hmmm. I’m out of town, will be back Tuesday night. I have a tow pig and trailer and a day off Wednesday the 4th. If you don’t have anything sorted out by then I prolly could get you and your rig close to home.

I appreciate the offer; going to find out through the grapevine about a local toyota tech that may be able to help me out. I only live 100 something miles from albuquerque, but it is a 3 and a half hour each way drive to and from my place, driving in arroyo bottoms and crazy 4 wheel acrobatics on a good day with dry roads, and I am on a fixed income with very little cash, being stuck out there with a non working vehicle could very well be a death sentence. I have contacted the neighbors who will be housesitting and feeding animals til I get back, but if all other options fail I may have to take you up on that offer

Find two or three Barrs stop leak,,,add and go!
I just finished replacing a blown rad on my 97, used 8 containers of differing product my heaters still work. Put on nearly 600 miles till I was able to swap the rad out plus a couple jugs of red coolant.
Barrs was the last two I added and they worked best.
Used 3 barrs on my 93 to buy two weeks of time a few years back before I did the head gasket.

I have garage space, big yard, tools, and space. 10 miles south of Tijeras on 337 if you want to come here. calls don't work but texts do from here. 505-239-7288. How much does your rig weigh?

Are you even sure it is the head gasket? Could be blown out hose on several heater lines or the PHH. All right there in the same area. I would add more water to it and confirm where it is coming from. Head Gaskets are definitely a known problem on these motors but when they fail it is much more common for them to fail internally. Leaks into cylinder bore or oil passage. Do you have Milk Shake/chicken gravy on the dipstick?

Are you even sure it is the head gasket? Could be blown out hose on several heater lines or the PHH. All right there in the same area. I would add more water to it and confirm where it is coming from. Head Gaskets are definitely a known problem on these motors but when they fail it is much more common for them to fail internally. Leaks into cylinder bore or oil passage. Do you have Milk Shake/chicken gravy on the dipstick?

oil is fine, not out of ordinary; and I forgot about the heater hoses. checking those now

Also, if you need parts American Toyota is the dealer of choice for your local MUD discount and a great parts counter. If you need a ride around town to get stuff give me a PM.

I have garage space, big yard, tools, and space. 10 miles south of Tijeras on 337 if you want to come here. calls don't work but texts do from here. 505-239-7288. How much does your rig weigh?
Thank you!!! I will send you a PM shortly

oil is fine, not out of ordinary; and I forgot about the heater hoses. checking those now
Put some water in it and start it up. You may have to crawl in there pretty close to de exactly where it is leaking out. May need s good flashlight. Look thru the skirting behind the front tires for a good angle on the firewall area. Look over the heater control valve. Tha plastic tends to die pretty bad with 20+ years. Have seen the hose barbs completely gone on a few.

Put some water in it and start it up. You may have to crawl in there pretty close to de exactly where it is leaking out. May need s good flashlight. Look thru the skirting behind the front tires for a good angle on the firewall area. Look over the heater control valve. Tha plastic tends to die pretty bad with 20+ years. Have seen the hose barbs completely gone on a few.

Question on the 1FZ. Back in the day I solved a heater hose problem by just looping a good hose on the engine supply and return tubes and bypassed the heater core/valve. Is this easily possible on the 1FZ?

^ Yeah, you can bypass the heater valve easily with some 5/8" hose, btdt.

Seems like the 1st thing the OP needs to do (as mentioned above) is determine the actual point that the leak is occurring.

cheers,
george.

Question on the 1FZ. Back in the day I solved a heater hose problem by just looping a good hose on the engine supply and return tubes and bypassed the heater core/valve. Is this easily possible on the 1FZ?

Yes, maybe, with existing hose. BTDT! Just depends on where the leak is. Gotta sort out how the lines Y off to supply both front and rear heaters from just one source/control valve.

I pulled it up to my buddies rental property so I could use the hose yesterday afternoon the problem got really bad and I couldnt keep spending $5 at every gas station I passed for water and started trying to diagnose it, but lets just say this is a BAD NEIGHBORHOOD to be pulling tools out in, etc. I got out today and was only able to to get as far as "yes, it is leaking alot of water" in the diagnostic process due to the area of the engine it is located; i did not want to be out of sight of the driver area having toleave it running and pretty much unattended.

Vehicle crime rate is bad in ABQ, and this is a terrible neighborhood to be attempting any sort of work on this thing without at least a garage :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom