Stuck Brake Drum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Goldbug

SILVER Star
Threads
Apologies if this is super basic, but I'm about a week into FJ40 ownership and spent a few hours last night trying to get the right rear drum off with no luck. It's leaking a lot of brake fluid, so i want to get in there and figure out where it's coming from. I started with the Haynes manual, but it appears a bit incomplete. What am do i need to do to get the drum off?

I was able to get the nearly sheered retaining screw out with vise grips, and got a screwdriver in the adjuster holes on the back, and turned them toward the axle as far as possible, then tried to pull the drum off, but it doesn't have any more movement than before i started. I saw some videos online showing folks using screws they insert that help push the drum off. Is that an option and do i need special screws?

It's a '78 if that matters.

Right Rear Brake 1.JPG

Right Rear Brake 2.JPG

Right Rear Brake 3.JPG

Does it spin freely? Can you hear/feel the adjuster click as you row towards the axle? Even then I had to whack mine with a small sledge as I rotated it to get it free the first time.

Thanks guys, i'll go out now and try a dead blow or a mini sledge. The wheel/drum does spin freely, and I can hear the adjuster click as I go towards the axle.

@brian, when you say the wheel cylinders are leaking is that because of the oil you see on the outside? That's actually PB blaster to try to get the screw off, if so. If not, then where is the bleeder screw and will that help get the drum off or help solve my fluid leak?

thanks all

Thanks guys, i'll go out now and try a dead blow or a mini sledge. The wheel/drum does spin freely, and I can hear the adjuster click as I go towards the axle.

@brian, when you say the wheel cylinders are leaking is that because of the oil you see on the outside? That's actually PB blaster to try to get the screw off, if so. If not, then where is the bleeder screw and will that help get the drum off or help solve my fluid leak?

thanks all
you said there is a brake fluid leak.
its the nipple to left of the hard line in your last pix.
yes it will allow the cylinders to retract a bit making it easier to remove the drum.
it will not solve the bad wheel cylinder problems however.

Last edited:
Ok. Got the adjusters as far dialed toward the axle as possible and now drum won’t move at all. That’s bad, no?
@brian, I loosened that screw, and now it’s dripping a little fluid but i don’t see any other change.

Got the drum moving again with good whacks from mini sledge. Still can’t get it off though. I’m dialing the adjuster dials towards the axle, with the handle of the screwdriver going away from axle

The handle of the adjuster tool moves away from the center line of the axle to TIGHTEN the shoe against the drum
Ok. That’s what I’m doing, and just keep going until you can’t go anymore, right is good?

The brake cylinders are location specific. I believe it is possible to have one (or both) in the incorrect location. So the direction the handle moves only matters if they were installed in their correct location.

The brake cylinders are location specific. I believe it is possible to have one (or both) in the incorrect location. So the direction the handle moves only matters if they were installed in their correct location.

Ok. But tight is good? The forward one seems to make the drum noticeably tighter, so perhaps that is good. I’ll try the rear one both ways. Takes a while to adjust each way though

Tight is bad. Figure out which direction tightens the shoe against the drum. Then go the other way completely. Do that for both shoes. That will create the most space between the shoe and the drum. The wheel should spin freely. Hopefully the drum will slide off after a few whacks from a hammer. Doesn’t hurt to shoot the area where it joins the hub with some lub to free it. I put some anti-seize there when I did my drum recently.

Last edited:
Tight is bad. Figure out which direction tightens the shoe against the drum. Then go the other way completely. Do that for both shoes. That will create the most space between the shoe and the drum. The wheel should spin freely. Hopefully the drum will slide off after a few whacks from a hammer. Doesn’t hurt to shoot the area where it joints the hub with some lub to free it. I put some anti-seize there when I did my drum recently.
Ahh, terrific. Tight didn't seem good. I'll take another stab at it after work, and maybe even hit it with some anti-seize in the meantime.

I saw some videos online showing folks using screws they insert that help push the drum off. Is that an option and do i need special screws?

Not a screw, but a regular metric bolt can be used to help push off the drum. Put the bolt in the orange circle below.
The shoes can wear into the drums such that a internal lip forms at the edge of the drum.

1589308493872.png

The face of the drum can also rust to the end of the axle. Use a small sledge and a brass drift to impact the area between the wheel studs. Then hammer around the outside face if the drum until you break it free. You will see when the face of the drum starts to separate from the end of the axle at the center pilot hole.

If it’s really seized, don’t be afraid to damage the drum to get it off. They’re replaceable.

Not a screw, but a regular metric bolt can be used to help push off the drum. Put the bolt in the orange circle below.
The shoes can wear into the drums such that a internal lip forms at the edge of the drum.

View attachment 2303990
This has ALWAYS worked for me. Get a very long bolt, screw it in...tap the opposite side & repeat until you score.

If you can tighten them all the way you should be able to loosen them all the way. As was said before, when holding the drum tool or screwdriver your knuckles should be punching the axle when turning the adjusters to loosen. Loosen until they stop and the drums should come right off.

As 69LC mentioned rust between brake drum and axle or just a real tight fit if you have a torch available heat an 6 inch diameter on the center of your brake drum. (Don't get it red hot). Heat is the only way I can get my rear drums off. It makes the drum expand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom