Stuck Brake Drum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VICTORY! Finally got it off. Danced a jig. Soaking in PB Blaster overnight did it I think. Heat and hammering didn’t make much of a difference. Some PO had already bent the plate that the screw/bolt pushes against, so that didn’t help.
Now I can start to figure out where the brake fluid is leaking from. Thinking first is to clean it all up, put more fluid in and looks for source? Or should I just replace the wheel cylinders? If so, can I get those locally at a Napa/autozone? Toyota dealer doesn’t carry them they said. Otherwise I guess I’ll order from SOR and wait a week.
Thanks all for the help, really appreciate it.

74201AD2-8658-4A16-9D89-77FE74095B48.jpeg

6ACC4EF6-3E0B-4E12-BF45-6C7993431976.jpeg

B7259DE9-265C-4B81-8374-526E4FD79DD9.jpeg

Check to see if they work by having someone step on the brake.

To purchase new check: Brake
or: Cruiser Outfitters
or some other good vendors we have around here.

You'll be looking for new shoes if yours are contaminated. And if you’re doing new shoes, consider getting your drums turned.

From your pictures you will definitely require new shoes.

You are leaking from your brake cylinders. They s/b replaced or rebuil. If your current cylinders are Aisin I would consider rebuilding them. Easy to do, cheap and you can get the rebuild kits at Napa...maybe CruiserOutfitters too.

Thanks John and Hobbes, just placed an order with Napa for 4 shoes and 4 rebuild kits. I’m assuming they’re original and Aisan. Thinking I should probably do rebuilt cylinders and shoes on both sides, if I’m gonna do one. Funny how this stuff adds up.

if you have any tips on rebuilding the wheel cylinders or replacing shoes, I’m all ears. Otherwise I’ll check in here and YouTube. First real project, unless you count flipping the bezel...
Thanks again!

If you're going to rebuild get the OEM rebuild kits not the NAPA ones if they are OEM cylinders. I just replaced my rear cylinders with NAPA units since my original Aisin units were so rusty. Also used NAPA shoes. I've had all the parts on the shelf for a few years but only got around to it recently. If I hadn't bought all these parts yet I would have called Kurt @cruiseroutfit and bought all Japan sourced, quality aftermarket parts versus the China made Napa parts. The Napa wheel cylinders come raw as well. I had to paint them before installing.

I did buy OEM drums, wheel cylinder bolts and washers and new cylinder to cylinder hard brake line. Highly recommend doing this as well before these parts go NLA.

Last edited:
Thinking I should probably do rebuilt cylinders and shoes on both sides,
[/QUOTE

Absolutely do both sides. You will need a honing tool, it’s not expensive. YouTube is your friend.

Highly recommend Coolerman’s website for brake cylinder rebuilding and PROPER brake cylinder and shoe installation.

As mentioned above, brake cylinders are location dependent. Coolerman breaks it down with photos.

(I was lazy and bought the Japanese ones from Kurt at CruiserOutfitters. I fear doing a job like that twice since I’d probably screw it up no matter how easy it is.)

Thanks John and Hobbes, gonna call Napa now. Thinking I should probably do rebuilt cylinders and shoes on both sides, if I’m gonna do one. Funny how this stuff adds up.

I got the rebuild kits finally and took these two wheel cylinders off of the rear passenger side. I was surprised that they both were stamped with R. Does the R represent the side of the vehicle or the side of the wheel? Meaning should each wheel have a R and an L or two of each letter?

C63629D7-FFC7-4AF0-9CAD-2721855E658F.jpeg

Regarding the two R’s, I actually do not remember. But my guess is that the wheel should have two R’s and not R & L on the same wheel. Just a guess tho.

Take a look at the other side and see if it has two L’s. And as @hobbes suggested do take a look at @Coolerman ‘s site on how to rebuild the brakes. It’s a great site and will give you great information.

There's a great diagram pulled from somewhere on this forum. The R & L sides have opposite thread directions so you're always adjusting toward or away from the axle the same direction regardless of which side you're on, hence the L & R separation.

1590763868656.png

^^^
Perfect!

Thanks guys. Yes, using coolerman’s instructions to guide me through the whole process. Glad I’ve got the Right cylinders in the right places. Appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom