Builds Stormtroopy, a 2002 HZJ78 turned surf wagon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey mate, awesome troopy. I'm digging the attention to detail and the obvious application of your mechanical know-how.

Kinda makes me wish mine wasn't here in Oz, but somewhere in NA or CA for a couple years of travelling. I'm guessing you're another Aussie who has found a little piece of home to cruise around in over there?

Hey mate, awesome troopy. I'm digging the attention to detail and the obvious application of your mechanical know-how.

Kinda makes me wish mine wasn't here in Oz, but somewhere in NA or CA for a couple years of travelling. I'm guessing you're another Aussie who has found a little piece of home to cruise around in over there?

Haha thanks, I’m an American living in Panama, I’ve owned Toyota trucks since I was 16 and when I discovered the 70 series line up while living in Central America I had to have one.

I just drove it to the States for a work contract so I could have a vehicle while in Califas, and to haul back surfboards when work was over.

I like your truck. Read the entire thread and picked up some research ideas for mine.

Thanks for posting.

13174DCE-C983-4DE2-9280-BD192B8EDF00.jpeg

I recently started to have an intermittent “chatter” with my PS front brake caliper, as well as noticed a little bit of brake fluid leaking from the master cylinder.

So I replaced the leaky master cylinder with a new OEM unit, took the opportunity to remove the LSPV, completely rebuilt both calipers with new OEM pistons and seals, replaced the worn aftermarket pads with an OEM set, removed the Safebrake stainless lines, installed new OEM soft lines, and completely flushed the hard lines of old fluid.

The reason I removed the Safebrake lines and replaced them with OEM was due to the less than desirable response I received from their customer service department after making a warranty claim. One of the lines swelled internally not allowing brake fluid to flow back properly and causing an intermittent “chatter” or “grab” to the passengers side front caliper. There is a 5 year warranty associated with these lines, but after 2 years of use the company determined, via email, that there was something wrong with my brake system and not their lines. Even after removing the line and swapping it to the driver side, the “chatter” just moved to the drivers side and was no longer existent on the passengers side. Deductive reasoning clearly points to a faulty line. Even after all that testing and explaining, Safebrake stood behind their finding and would not warranty the line. I offered to pay to ship it back to them to test, but they refused my offer.

Now after all this work, the brake system performs the best it ever has since I took ownership of this Troopy.
Didn’t need a aftermarket proportioning valve either! And used regular ole non-synthetic DOT 3 fluid as well.

Bugger about Safebrake not standing behind their product... won't be getting any business from me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom