Stereo FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool thanks for the 411. Do you know where I can get a power and a ground for the ipod controller and for the rear view camera? I will definitely bypass the parking brake.

The power socket in the dash on the left is on the CIG 20A circuit. The radio is part of that so I would go there for a tap. If you want the rear cam only in reverse simply tap power from the reverse light at the back of the rig. You can ground to the chassis. If you want it on all the time you can use the 12v power plug on drivers left rear.

Are you talking about the power socket for the ashtray? or the accessory power plug up front? I don't think my rig has a power socket on the left side. Also how does one tell what wire is the hot and neutral at the plugs? Is there an easy way to test? Sorry for all the questions but I am kind of a newb at auto wiring.

There are two 12v sockets to the right of the ashtray. The one closest to the ash tray is the CIG circuit. Off the top I don't remember the wire colors. You should have a multimeter if you are doing any kind of wiring work to check sources. The center pin is the plus side so you should be able to tell by looking at the connectors back side.

Sent from my iPad 2 using IH8MUD

RobRed said:
The power socket in the dash on the left is on the CIG 20A circuit. The radio is part of that so I would go there for a tap. If you want the rear cam only in reverse simply tap power from the reverse light at the back of the rig. You can ground to the chassis. If you want it on all the time you can use the 12v power plug on drivers left rear.

The rear socket is constant power? Did not know that... thx man.

Should I use t-taps to tap in and get power?

The rear socket is constant power? Did not know that... thx man.

No it's not constant power...

I meant if he wanted the camera powered up while truck was running as opposed to only in reverse. I have mine always on as I use it when we are wheeling.

Should I use t-taps to tap in and get power?

I've used t-taps in my truck successfully. If you want 99.9% reliability then solder is of course the way.

Last edited:
So on my metra harness there is a wire labled amp grnd. Where does that wire connect? My Avic z2 doesn't have that wire

I was looking to upgrade door speakers but the mounting depth on the LC is only 4.5 inches for the front door speakers....I went to stereo one in Cape Girardeau which is a very high end dealer in home and car audio equipment, and there was no available speaker with that narrow of depth in stock... I guess this is why i have seen the factory speaker trimmed out alot here on the forum and the case is reused to mount up the mb quart speakers which have the seperate tweet. These seem to be one of the most popular speakers for the folks here.

what i learned about putting really nice door speakers in is that they will still suck unless you put in a decent amp to push them. After i put in a 5 channel infinity amp in i was amazed how nice my infinity speakers sounded. Of course i put JBL tweeters in and a 10" sub too...

Makes Bread sound amazing....lol

Are you talking about the power socket for the ashtray? or the accessory power plug up front? I don't think my rig has a power socket on the left side. Also how does one tell what wire is the hot and neutral at the plugs? Is there an easy way to test? Sorry for all the questions but I am kind of a newb at auto wiring.

Is this what you have?

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg
IMG_2088.jpg
IMG_2089.jpg

Yes that is what I have. So far so good but I ran in to one issue. So I tapped off the 12v accessory plug in the center console and when I meter it I am only getting 6.8v which is not enough to make my ipod adapter work. Its has to have a bare minimum of 10.1v. Any thoughts ? I read on another stereo thread that I could just tap off the yellow and black wires on my metra harness. Do you think that would be a better idea?

Did some testing last Sunday.
There are 3 connectors:
- 3 pin: function: no idea.
- 15 pin: power. (left connector in picture)
- 12 pin: 6-CD stack in te center console. (middle connector in picture)
colors in 15 pin are as follows (looking from radio end of connector):

09 10 11 12 |----| 13 14 15
01 02 | 03 04 05 06 | 07 08

01 black/[STRIKE]brown[/STRIKE] red
02 black/white
03 na
04 brown
05 black
06 green
07 white
08 red
09 black/[STRIKE]brown [/STRIKE]red (with silver marks)
10 green (with silver marks)
11 grey
12 lilac [STRIKE]blue[/STRIKE]/yellow
13 orange
14 pink
15 yellow

I found the following:
My numbering is incorrect, Toyota/Lexus start with their numbering from top left. Meaning my 09 should read 01 and 08 should 15.
The connector with the 3 wires are for the antenna.
For the 15-pin, that is combined power and amplifier. All wires are acounted for, except 3. :-(
All wires for the CD-stack are there.
Now to find the function of the 3 remaining wires.
Will post the wire diagram tomorrow.

Yes that is what I have. So far so good but I ran in to one issue. So I tapped off the 12v accessory plug in the center console and when I meter it I am only getting 6.8v which is not enough to make my ipod adapter work. Its has to have a bare minimum of 10.1v. Any thoughts ? I read on another stereo thread that I could just tap off the yellow and black wires on my metra harness. Do you think that would be a better idea?

You metered the wrong positive.... you grabbed the illumination hot. both the power outlets are 12v. You can use the red wire in the metra harness it's connected to the same source.

You metered the wrong positive.... you grabbed the illumination hot. both the power outlets are 12v. You can use the red wire in the metra harness it's connected to the same source.

So how many positives are there on the 12v plugs. What I did was put a t-tap on the wire that metered 6.8 and no go. There are two wires coming in to the 12v plug. The wires come in from a connector that plugs in to a harness at the bottom area of the rear cup holder. I did not see any other wires feeding the 12v plug.

I ended up tapping in to the ground and battery wire on the metra and it worked great.

The last task is power the camera. I want the camera on constantly like on your rig. So I am guessing I can tap in to the front 12v socket wiring by the ashtray and that should work. My only issue is now sorting out how find the right positive if there are multiple positives on the 12v plug.

There should only be one positive for each of the 12V power and cigarette ligher outlets. The cig one is gray, the 2 power outlets (lower dash, and center console box) are green with red stripe. All 12V on the positive side with ACC power. The rear power outlet positive wire is green with white stripe, also 12V. Not sure why you're only getting 6.8V. You either read it wrong, or there is something else wrong with that circuit. What do you meter at the plug in the box?

here ya go.

Attachments

• scan0003.pdf
    349.9 KB · Views: 384
  • scan0002.pdf
    478.1 KB · Views: 275
So I metered the front 12v socket in the lower dash next to the cig lighter and I only got 6.8v So maybe my meter is messed up. I metered in the plug end of the positive and then grounded out to the chassis.

Rob you are a life saver...

So the black white I interpreted as the ground and the green and red is the hot or positive line?

Everything works except the backup cam. I am not really sure at this point why. Checked all the settings in the deck to no avail. Thinking its a power issue but not 100% on that. Is it worth it to try and tap in to the power and ground on the radio to test my theory?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom