Stereo FAQ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What should i do if i accidently already cut the factory wire harness...and didnt leave myself enough wire to reattach it...

solder more wire onto it to make it as long as you need. How many wires did you cut?

What should i do if i accidently already cut the factory wire harness...and didnt leave myself enough wire to reattach it...

Slow down...

Didn't you also drill holes in your hood, then a month later post up looking for a new aftermarket hood? Stop, research and THEN start cutting or drilling. It will be well worth it in the long run.

At this point why re-attach it, get the color codes and solder the wires you need directly from your HU to the harness.

Here's my Kenwood install on a 2000 UZJ using the wiring harness that keeps the factory amp. Easy 20 minute install.
2011-10-14_11-47-35_954.jpg

bamabrock said:
Here's my Kenwood install on a 2000 UZJ using the wiring harness that keeps the factory amp. Easy 20 minute install.

Is that plug and play pretty much? What model is it? It's about time for my stock unit to go bye-bye

Is that plug and play pretty much? What model is it? It's about time for my stock unit to go bye-bye
It the kenwood DDX418. It was about $100 cheaper on amazon than crutchfield.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WMMN8E
I used the wiring harness to keep the factory amp.
Amazon.com: Metra 70-8113 Radio Wiring Harness for Toyota Amp Integration 20 Pin: Car Electronics
The factory amp sounds good with the infiniti speakers I installed. I have the rear camera hooked up and will finish mounting it this weekend.

Here's my thread where I tried to install a cheap rotating screen version and eventually bought a nice namebrand unit like I should have done from the beginning. I use my phone in a window mount for navigation, so the unit itself was only about $300
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/506341-7-inch-screen-mounting-98-02-a.html#post7049114

It the kenwood DDX418. It was about $100 cheaper on amazon than crutchfield.
Amazon.com: Kenwood Ddx418 6.1" Touchscreen Double Din Dvd/cd/mp3/wma/aac/wav Receiver with Bluetooth: Car Electronics
I used the wiring harness to keep the factory amp.
Amazon.com: Metra 70-8113 Radio Wiring Harness for Toyota Amp Integration 20 Pin: Car Electronics
The factory amp sounds good with the infiniti speakers I installed. I have the rear camera hooked up and will finish mounting it this weekend.

Here's my thread where I tried to install a cheap rotating screen version and eventually bought a nice namebrand unit like I should have done from the beginning. I use my phone in a window mount for navigation, so the unit itself was only about $300
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/506341-7-inch-screen-mounting-98-02-a.html#post7049114
A few questions. When you select something on the screen does the iPod symbol flash and spin radically? Do the animations lag? How is the startup time ( I hate when systems go through 76 pages of warnings and "KENWOOD NAVIGATION TOUCH SCREEN XM IPOD SIRIUS CONNECTIVITY BLUETOOTH WIRELESS TOUCHSCREEN"? I the screen responsive, 1st simple touch, not 3 finger smashing pushes? Can you dim the screen at night so it doesn't look like your filming a TV series inside?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Rear subwoofer

Anyone know what size he rear sub in a 99 100 is? I just replaced my head unit and the speakers are next and I'm trying to get some info on it before I make my purchase. Any pics on getting the rear sub out would be greatly appreciated..

It consists of 2 4" subs in a plastic box. It is pretty simple to get out. Just remove the plastic trim panel on the driver's side rear and then take out the 4 bolts holding it in and unplug it. There are some threads on here that show how to install an 8" sub into the stock box. Just do a quick search and you will find what you are looking for.

goatbeaver said:
really? how so?

Yes it does distort easily... The 4" drivers are easily overwhelmed. Even running stock with no aftermarket sub it will sound better as the 6.5" door speakers make better bass. Try unplugging the factory sub it's easy to do.

Sent from my iPad 2 using IH8MUD

Yes it does distort easily... The 4" drivers are easily overwhelmed. Even running stock with no aftermarket sub it will sound better as the 6.5" door speakers make better bass. Try unplugging the factory sub it's easy to do.

i changed the front four speakers with Infinities. I want to change the rear sub and also put in an amp. Im just not stereo savvy

Me neither. I just read some how to stuff on mud and learned as I went. It was actually pretty gratifying that I was able to solve most of my problems myself with just a multimeter as far as what wire I needed to put where to get certain things to work. I bypassed/ removed the factory amp as my new head had a built in amp. The wiring harness to do the bypass did not really have instructions to I had to resort to seeing which wires needed to be hooked up between the wiring harnesses that go into the stock amp. This had to be done due to the way toyota wires in power to the head, dimmer, and something else. I believe I posted some pics and an explanation of it on one of the stereo threads at the time but if you cant find it, just let me know and I can repost.

Last edited:
I was looking to upgrade door speakers but the mounting depth on the LC is only 4.5 inches for the front door speakers....I went to stereo one in Cape Girardeau which is a very high end dealer in home and car audio equipment, and there was no available speaker with that narrow of depth in stock... I guess this is why i have seen the factory speaker trimmed out alot here on the forum and the case is reused to mount up the mb quart speakers which have the seperate tweet. These seem to be one of the most popular speakers for the folks here.

slingblade said:
I was looking to upgrade door speakers but the mounting depth on the LC is only 4.5 inches for the front door speakers....I went to stereo one in Cape Girardeau which is a very high end dealer in home and car audio equipment, and there was no available speaker with that narrow of depth in stock... I guess this is why i have seen the factory speaker trimmed out alot here on the forum and the case is reused to mount up the mb quart speakers which have the seperate tweet. These seem to be one of the most popular speakers for the folks here.

There are plenty of speakers that fit the doors.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/98412-how-diy-door-speaker-swap-uzj100.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/282462-how-replacing-oem-subwoofer-3rd-row.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/56469-subwoofer-install.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...ing-factory-audio-my-2000-cruiser-pt-1-a.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/83132-oe-sub-woofer.html

I want to upgrade the factory radio in my LX470 as it doesn't have USB input and iPod control.
I did found a very interesting unit from dig_options on ebay Australia with GPS, reverse camera etc. Most reviews are good and the price even better.
However, the seller told me that it will not "talk" with the factory amplifier and I would need an interfece.
What does this mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom