Steering Stabilizer. Which one is King ? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can somebody help a brother out. Looking for a good replacement for my Stabilizer mine still has the factory one. Should I go with OME/ Fox if so which one ?? I see there are a few different part numbers
97’ FZJ

Last edited:
Can somebody help a brother out. Looking for a good replacement for my Stabilizer mine still has the factory one. Should I go with OME/ Fox if so which one ?? I see there are a few different part numbers
97’ FZJ
Why not go with a new factory OEM one? It's lasted this long.

I don't find this to be an over all critical part, that said I used OME just because rest of the suspension was LOL (I know weak reasoning)

This one is KING :rofl:

1586873013551.jpeg

I don't find this to be an over all critical part, that said I used OME just because rest of the suspension was LOL (I know weak reasoning)
I did the same because it was part of my kit.

After I took off the OEM one, it turns out it was still OK. I assumed it was bad because the truck had 280K on it when I changed it, that's why I made sure to get one in the kit from OME. (It was a install / remove kit that was still new (less than 500 miles)

Following along with others, I went with Ironman because the rest of the lift is Ironman. I'd concur it's not a super critical piece but upgrading may reduce kickback off road. Whatever you do, just give yourself some time to replace because the original OEM took a beating to get off.

I was going to suggest this one. Tough Dog Steering Stabilizer SS-5001
But it’s sold out.
My understanding is that the Tough Dog return-to-center stabilizer is recommended for rigs with 35"+ tires that are mostly on the trail...not so much for DD rigs.

This one is likely a better fit:

I've been running one of these cats for the last 2.5 years...been quite pleased. The ability to easily & quickly adjust the damping makes this the shizz.

When i changed out my factory springs for a set of OME springs i used their steering Stabilizer too, as others have said, "it was just part of the kit".

they all are good to one point, and that point is you lift tire and alignment spec if any or all are worse off then steering stabilizer will not help ya truck will wonder on the road

Has anyone used the Icon universal steering stabilizer?

Had I known it existed, and if it fits an 80 I would have... Just because it matches my shocks. 😎

Instead I got a Dobinsons along with the adjustable front Panhard bar because they were in stock and really easy to buy through Amazon. Honestly, I was a little disappointed to find the country of origin when I ASSumed they were Australian made, but it should work fine.

And, someone beat me to only the King is King...

Jason

Had I known it existed, and if it fits an 80 I would have... Just because it matches my shocks. 😎

Instead I got a Dobinsons along with the adjustable front Panhard bar because they were in stock and really easy to buy through Amazon. Honestly, I was a little disappointed to find the country of origin when I ASSumed they were Australian made, but it should work fine.

And, someone beat me to only the King is King...

Jason
IVD universal stabilizer unfortunately will not work on the 80. Already went down that road with their tech support team.

I went with the OME because it was reasonable and easiest to get. Hardware made for an easy install. It honestly didn’t make that big of a difference over stock. It does look cooler, and I’m sure cheaper than OEM.

Is it King? I don’t know.

With that big yellow tube, seafoam Dobinson taper springs, silver icon shocks, and gold zinc hardware, my undercarriage has a whole Miami Sound Machine and Crockett and Tubbs thing going on.

I went with the OME because it was reasonable and easiest to get. Hardware made for an easy install. It honestly didn’t make that big of a difference over stock. It does look cooler, and I’m sure cheaper than OEM.

Is it King? I don’t know.

With that big yellow tube, seafoam Dobinson taper springs, silver icon shocks, and gold zinc hardware, my undercarriage has a whole Miami Sound Machine and Crockett and Tubbs thing going on.
hahaha, was that your post on IG about Miami Vice and Dobinsons colors the other day??

We’ve actually put the Monroe from rockauto on a few 80s here at the shop and had really good results. It’s like $24 if you look up the one for a 94.

Two of the 80s are running 37s if that’s worth anything.

Why not go with a new factory OEM one? It's lasted this long.
I find this type of logic faulty. Just because the OEM one lasted this long doesn't mean that other brands won't last just as long or longer, won't work just as well or better, and won't be a better value. It's good to look at options. JMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom