Steering rack story (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It looks like my steering rack is going. Some oil seemed to seep into the boots on both sides:
sr.jpg

It's not bad, the boots are just wet/oily - no fluid on my driveway, no drop in fluid level either. It's been like that for a long time.

One funny thing is, in April 2014, when the LC had about 107k miles, a local dealer recommended to replace the steering rack. So it lasted 3 years and 32k miles (nothing extreme but it saw the White Rim, and the Alpine Loop a few times) since the dealer recommended a replacement, and does not seem to be getting any worse.

I'm debating whether to replace it. It seems a bit early at 139k miles ('05 LC) for the steering rack to give up. Also, I'm very curious and want to find out how much it'd last since the dealer strongly recommended a replacement. But on the other hand, I want some peace of mind since this is our family road-trip vehicle. Inputs/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mine seeped for years, then died a pretty rapid death. Steering and brakes, two most critical systems in a car...

What were your "rapid death" symptoms. Mine has seeped but not left a drop on the ground for years now. 1998 LC with 250,000 miles.

Mine seeped slowly for a year or two, then after a trial run it came back with a clunk in the action and I finally replaced it. In my case the inner and outer tie rod ends were still nice and tight so I was not concerned about safety. If the rack is smooth but slightly leaking it's due but unlikely to cause catastrophic failure IMO. The issue could be that you're out far away, blow a seal and can't keep fluid in the system, then you have manual steering and will kill the pump AND rack so it could be a long trip home (if you can keep the serpentine belt running on the bad pump) to a big bill. 100's that see lots of trail use do eat steering racks.

325k+ some seep no drops since I added lucus hydraulic treatment (same stuff i use in my equipment and dump truck and elevators)

Do I have to flush the PS fluid or can I just use syringe+tubing to suck some fluid out of the reservoir and then add some stop-leak back?

Thanks all feedback. The ends are tight, just some seep and no drop, and it's only 139K miles, so I'll just clean the boots and add some Lucas power steering stop-leak. I'll keep updating this thread.

Thanks all feedback. The ends are tight, just some seep and no drop, and it's only 139K miles, so I'll just clean the boots and add some Lucas power steering stop-leak. I'll keep updating this thread.

I did the same thing for a year with mine and then 145,000 I just had a Lexus install a new OEM steering rack. Should be good for another 145000 miles. Mine never dripped enough to even make a spot on the garage floor and the steering always felt fine. Just felt it was a safety item

What were your "rapid death" symptoms. Mine has seeped but not left a drop on the ground for years now. 1998 LC with 250,000 miles.
Drips on the ground. Lasted a few weeks after that. Trying to back out of the driveway and load onto a trailer was brutal with no power steering. No way you should/could drive like that.

@thegreatgazoo what'd you end up doing? I have a similar situation at 141K. Steering is tight but there's definitely moisture on the boot. One mechanic told me to vampire pump out what I could of the old fluid and add Lucas PS conditioner/leak stop back in as makeup...another told me to leave it and start saving my pennies for a new rack. Alleged that the Lucas stuff will seal the leak but will also gum up other passages in the system and cause more issues...

I did the same thing for a year with mine and then 145,000 I just had a Lexus install a new OEM steering rack. Should be good for another 145000 miles. Mine never dripped enough to even make a spot on the garage floor and the steering always felt fine. Just felt it was a safety item

We all seem to be having issues at 14X,000. I just had mine replaced after steering became difficult at various angles. Also replaced the PS pump, but the new reman pump is noisy, and I'll probably put the old one back since the new pump made no difference.

I had my Lexus rack replaced with an LC rack. If there are steering ratio differences, I cant feel them. Otherwise it fit perfectly.

The shop that replaced my rack couldn't detach the intermediate shaft from the rack and ended up having to replace it too. There is little to no rust anywhere on the truck EXCEPT apparently between the intermediate shaft and the rack, where despite two weeks of PB blaster and banging, they were stuck. So the total was $2100 :(

I noticed my boots were a little wet around 185k miles. I added some Lucas and have let it ride since then. Steering is tight, everything works well, and I am not losing fluid. This is 2 years and 50k miles later. One day I will change it, but it is fine for now. Money in the bank for when the day comes.

I bought my 03 LX 2 months ago with 235km/147 miles.
There was a leak on the left lower control arm, but not dripping.
Now it is dripping on the drive way, changed the old fluid with new one twice with turkey baster, it is smoother, but the new oil is dripping faster now.
Lexus quoted me $2000cdn for new one, other shops $1400 for remanufactured one.
Prices include parts and labour.
For the price difference, I will just buy new!

Will have a specialized 4x4 shop look at it next week to see if it's just a seal or a washer or anything not major that can be replaced before I make a decision on a new rack.
I am tempted to try this Lucas stop leak as a last resort.

Last edited:
In my pursuit of diagnosing some intermittent steering feedback and general replacement of front end parts, mine displayed text book steering rack bushing issues. I had some oily residue on my inner tierod covers for some time but nothing substantial and when I replaced my steering rack bushings it barely lasted a month I think after that due to no more freedom of movement and it was like a waterfall of fluid after that.

I'm not sure what 2000cdn converts too, but with enough research on here, FSM, and a decent metric set with ample extensions, jack and jack stands,you should be able to save some serious money if you are so inclined to attempt this yourself. I think I payed $700 something for a brand new rack from Toyota and did it myself. I did use box store "lifetime" outer tierod ends- don't judge, I'm a cheap a$$ when I can be if it makes since in my head.

In my pursuit of diagnosing some intermittent steering feedback and general replacement of front end parts, mine displayed text book steering rack bushing issues. I had some oily residue on my inner tierod covers for some time but nothing substantial and when I replaced my steering rack bushings it barely lasted a month I think after that due to no more freedom of movement and it was like a waterfall of fluid after that.

I'm not sure what 2000cdn converts too, but with enough research on here, FSM, and a decent metric set with ample extensions, jack and jack stands,you should be able to save some serious money if you are so inclined to attempt this yourself. I think I payed $700 something for a brand new rack from Toyota and did it myself. I did use box store "lifetime" outer tierod ends- don't judge, I'm a cheap a$$ when I can be if it makes since in my head.

2000cdn is about 1540usd parts and labour.
I would love to do it myself, but I am afraid if I try to do it myself I will end up screwing it and wont be able to tow it to a shop to do it right haha ,,, the only thing I know how to do on a car is change oil, and I didnt actually try it yet :D

Lets see what the specialized 4x4 shop says first, then will decide.
I dont want it to break during my trip this summer and ending up spending 1000s towing it from the middle of nowhere,,,, but thank you for the advice :)

We went wheeling last Saturday on a local track which has been getting worse over the last years and had a great time.
Didn't notice anything until I wanted to drive the car the next day: heavy steering.
Than I noticed the oil on the driveway and no fluid in the reservoir.
I will remove the protection plates tonight and have a look if I can see something.
There was nothing to see from the top.

Resurrecting an old post here - my 02' LC w/ 158K has damp rack boots. Reservoir is full with no spots on the driveway, but the hoses coming out of the reservoir are wet going almost all the way down (probably just need a couple new hose clamps). My rig is going in next week for a thorough baseline maintenance overhaul, and most likely the PS CV axle is coming out. Steering racks are about $300 for after-market and $6-700 for OEM. I'm keeping the rig for 3-4 years tops - can I get away with an after-market CV axle and aftermarket steering rack? Also, I put on about 7000 miles/year, and it will not be going offroad very often. The plan is to get into a nice, salt/rust-free LC from the southwest after this one. Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom