starting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the fuel lines in the engine compartment and now starting my LJ77 takes a lot of cranking.

I tried the primer but it no longer seems to work.

The truck does start every time but I have to crank it for 15 to 30 seconds.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,

If the primer no longer works I would start there. Primers are a common failure on these 25-30 year old Cruisers, they start to leak air into the fuel lines, causing the system to lose prime. Another thing to try is to bleed air at the injectors once you’ve got the engine running.

Any hints on bleeding at the injectors?

I will give it a try.

I ordered the "CAP ASSY, FUEL FILTER" primer also.

Thanks

If bleeding and new primer doesn't help , save yourself more headaches and just throw a clear line right before the pump and look for air bubbles.

But my money is on the primer...

The rest of the story:

The primer arrived and was installed. Pumped up the fuel filter but there was some diesel leaking from the water level switch.

I ordered gaskets and a new switch, installed and pumped the primer again. No leaks this time.

Truck started right up, just like it used to. Sat overnight and started fine the next day.

Was it the switch or gaskets, no idea but I did not want to just change the gaskets and have it still leak. easier to change all once and be done (hopefully).

I know something was going as it would loose power and occasionally stall when I depessed the clutch.

It was sucking air into the system.

So, basically an easy fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom