SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm either missing another part or their's something odd about my battery because it won't fit when I try to pop it back on, it just falls off.

Mine never stayed on. Scrap it

Others have taken an old radiator hose with some zip ties - that's my next 'whenever I have a free minute' project myself.

I'm either missing another part or their's something odd about my battery because it won't fit when I try to pop it back on, it just falls off.

Not needed. I don't have them on mine with no issues.

IMG_2171.JPG

I forget timing on that but a BLM run out to Fish Creek in Anza a few months ago, after it had already been raining for 2 weeks straight. A whole group of us went out and drove aimlessly everywhere. And man was it muuuuuuudddddddy. And a blast. Then Mojave Rd, Moab, etc... lots of fine dusts out there. Haven't had a chance to clean, folks have mentioned some engine cleaners and whatnot, suggestions?

Not needed. I don't have them on mine with no issues.

View attachment 1465929
I'm not even a safety nut but I'd highly suggest you cover all positive battery terminals. Even a simple fender bender, if something makes contact w/ the positive you could now have an elec fire on your hands.

Thanks for the responses. The photo from @Mogwai jogged my memory, I actually had a spare set of those mil-spec terminal covers in my supplies from a previous project, I'll put them on. Really liking the Slee tray, will probably order one of those up too.

Looks like another opportunity for a new product from Slee, a cupholder mod for the engine cover. :beer:

I'm not even a safety nut but I'd highly suggest you cover all positive battery terminals. Even a simple fender bender, if something makes contact w/ the positive you could now have an elec fire on your hands.

My thought is if you got in a bad enough wreck to knock a heavy duty military battery terminal loose what makes you think the flimsy little plastic cover will still be in place and not go flying off?

Same here, though after a few months I did order the covers that go with the terminals that ship with the Slee kit. I could never figure out how to get the OEM cover to stay on either, I believe it got tossed even before I did the group 31 swap.

Hmm that's interesting...when I bought the Slee kit mine didn't come with any terminal covers. I'm not too worried about it though - when I looked under the hood of Slee's LX he didn't have terminal covers either.

My thought is if you got in a bad enough wreck to knock a heavy duty military battery terminal loose what makes you think the flimsy little plastic cover will still be in place and not go flying off?

Hmm that's interesting...when I bought the Slee kit mine didn't come with any terminal covers. I'm not too worried about it though - when I looked under the hood of Slee's LX he didn't have terminal covers either.
Well most likely the terminal won't come lose, something else that's metal (body? other wires? radiator, etc...) might come in contact w/ the terminal and create the sparks/arc. If you cover, you don't have to worry. Covers are like...... $2 I think for the one you see in pic. And just because Slee didn't do it doesn't mean it shouldn't be best practice. OEM suppliers make a point to cover don't they?

Well most likely the terminal won't come lose, something else that's metal (body? other wires? radiator, etc...) might come in contact w/ the terminal and create the sparks/arc. If you cover, you don't have to worry. Covers are like...... $2 I think for the one you see in pic. And just because Slee didn't do it doesn't mean it shouldn't be best practice. OEM suppliers make a point to cover don't they?

Eh like I said I'll take my chances considering that any type of collision that causes that much damage will likely knock any little plastic cover off the battery terminal, especially considering the OEM one is hard to get to just stay in place.

My concern is for protecting myself... ever set a wrench on the battery and had it short across the terminals? Get's pretty exciting... shocking, you could say.

The previous posts beg the question; fire extinguisher,type,mounting location,qty ?

My concern is for protecting myself... ever set a wrench on the battery and had it short across the terminals? Get's pretty exciting... shocking, you could say.

I haven't done it yet but I've caught myself dangerously close a few times. Just a matter of time I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom