SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are the best highway tire for the 200 series? I'd prefer comfort and quiteness on the road in addition to quality.

I recently switched to the Michelin LTX tires - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M/S&partnum=86HR8DLTXXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2013&autoModel=Land Cruiser&autoModClar=.

Would you prefer these over the factory Dunlops?
Good choice. If you want more info, read up on any of the numerous tire threads.

Appears to be for wind noise or "buffeting"

From the LX manual:

■To reduce moon roof wind noise
Drive with the moon roof at first opened position (just before fully opened position).
The 4Runners do this too.

What are the best highway tire for the 200 series? I'd prefer comfort and quiteness on the road in addition to quality.

I recently switched to the Michelin LTX tires - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M/S&partnum=86HR8DLTXXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2013&autoModel=Land Cruiser&autoModClar=.

LTX are a good highway tire but they wear super fast, especially with the heavy pig that is the 200.

When my wife still had her JGC we got 30k out of a set. My dad put a set on his 200 and when I got it from him they were trashed at 23k.

Last edited:

The LTX is a top tier highway tire. Youd be splitting hairs trying to find a better dedicated all season tire. I have run them and the Nokian One HT on my 200. The LTX was their XL 285/60r18 and the Nokian One HT in an E rated Lt275/70r18 so its not a direct compariosn. I noticed that the road noise was just about non existent on both. Over bumpy roads the E rated nokian tire, as expected, is a firmer ride. On the interstate they both ride buttery smooth with similar mpgs.
Id reccomend both of these options over the Dunlop.

LTX are a good highway tire but they wear super fast, especially with the heavy pig that is the 200.

When my wife still had her JGC we got 30k out of a set. My dad put a set on his 200 and when I got it from him they were trashed at 23k.
????? Since Michelin makes 6 tire lines with LTX in the name, we should make sure which one is we are talking about. I’m referring to the Defender LTX M/S. That model does not wear super fast, in either the SL, XL, or E rated versions. If anyone wore out a set of those in only 23k miles, I certainly would not want to be a passenger while they were driving! Despite heavy towing duty, the set on my truck will easily go 3 times that to 70k miles.

????? Since Michelin makes 6 tire lines with LTX in the name, we should make sure which one is we are talking about. I’m referring to the Defender LTX M/S. That model does not wear super fast, in either the SL, XL, or E rated versions. If anyone wore out a set of those in only 23k miles, I certainly would not want to be a passenger while they were driving! Despite heavy towing duty, the set on my truck will easily go 3 times that to 70k miles.
Agreed. Defender LTX M/S are fantastic tires. Honestly, if they looked better they'd be on my 100 and 200.

I don’t know if they changed the compound, or what, but neither of our full-time four-wheel-drive SUVs had gotten anything near what is considered to be good lifespan out of them.

Looking at getting a compressor kit to mount in the LX570 rather than just having a loose 1 around and ARB do mounts/etc to suit a nice tidy install like this:

But I am wondering, is that the location of the subwoofer for the 2017+ LX570? If so is there a decent engine bay mount to suit an ARB compressor? or might just have to get a portable for now

Last edited:
Looking at getting a compressor kit to mount in the LX570 rather than just having a loose 1 around and ARB do mounts/etc to suit a nice tidy install like this:

But I am wondering, is that the location of the subwoofer for the 2017+ LX570? If so is there a decent engine bay mount to suit an ARB compressor? or might just have to get a portable for now
In the US that's the sub location. Even the cruisers here have a sub there.
Slee sells a bracket, not sure if they'll ship out of the states or if it'd be worth it cost wise.

@TeCKis300 has a write up about mounting compressors in the engine bay that's a nice install you could make yourself

Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters had one of those rear panel mounted brackets that he was trying to sell at one point. He might have an opinion on the product or install?

I think a lot of us in the US just run the Slee compressor bracket, since it is convenient and fits an otherwise unused space.

I’m not sure I’d want the noise of the compressor in my passenger compartment.

Another question where I think I already know the answer. On my 2016 4Runner, I never could find a way to dim or simply turn off the nav/entertainment screen. I've looked a bit on the LC, but it seems that I still don't have the option? Wife and daughter's Mazdas had the option, which was nice on long stretches of dark road, with the other instruments dimmed.

If nothing's available, I'll just stick the iPad in front of it, but I don't always have it with me.

IMG_5963.jpeg

I don’t know if they changed the compound, or what, but neither of our full-time four-wheel-drive SUVs had gotten anything near what is considered to be good lifespan out of them.
I've gotten 50k plus out of every set I've had, across 3 different vehicles. Probably 5 sets total.

Another question where I think I already know the answer. On my 2016 4Runner, I never could find a way to dim or simply turn off the nav/entertainment screen. I've looked a bit on the LC, but it seems that I still don't have the option? Wife and daughter's Mazdas had the option, which was nice on long stretches of dark road, with the other instruments dimmed.

If nothing's available, I'll just stick the iPad in front of it, but I don't always have it with me.

View attachment 2713499
No problem. You have lots of choices for the display, including off. It's in the owner's manual. I'd send you the page number, but your book may be numbered different than mine. I turn mine off on trips where I have my iPad Pro mounted in front of it. One thing I'll note is that if the interior lights are set to max with their switch at the full-on detent, the center display won't go into night mode.

No problem. You have lots of choices for the display, including off. It's in the owner's manual.
Fantastic! I just assumed it was the same as the 4Runner, so didn't look at the manual. There I go assuming again... ;) Thank you!

Fantastic! I just assumed it was the same as the 4Runner, so didn't look at the manual. There I go assuming again... ;) Thank you!
Mine is older, but from memory I believe I can just hit the "display" button and then on screen there is another button that says "display off" or "screen off"

Mine is older, but from memory I believe I can just hit the "display" button and then on screen there is another button that says "display off" or "screen off"
No "Display" button, but Setup --> Page Right Once --> Display --> Screen Off works. I would guess this is the case from 2018 on, and maybe 2016. "Home" button turns it back on.

Thank you! I don't think I've been in the Setup screen since the first couple of days I owned it in January.

I also just found that the free three month SiriusXM ended since the last time I drove on Monday. So, two extra free months. Now I can transfer over the Lifetime All Access license that we bought for both of us back in 2010. Friends thought we were nuts for spending $410 each on then XM Radio, but now eleven years and a lot of use later, we're at $37/year average and counting!

Last edited:
No "Display" button, but Setup --> Page Right Once --> Display --> Screen Off works. I would guess this is the case from 2018 on, and maybe 2016. "Home" button turns it back on.

Thank you! I don't think I've been in the Setup screen since the first couple of days I owned it in January.

I also just found that the free three month SiriusXM ended since the last time I drove on Monday. So, two extra free months. Now I can transfer over the Lifetime All Access license that we bought for both of us back in 2010. Friends thought we were nuts for spending $410 each on them XM Radio, but now eleven years and a lot of use later, we're at $37/year average and counting!
Man I wish they still offered something like that! Would jump all over it

My turn for sqod / oil leak source? Appears to be from the transfer case area - any insights?

14169C0A-34D6-46DD-85D9-D16042C80352.jpeg

8EEEA9DF-5856-43AD-8934-4B3BD6B29052.jpeg

96836FE3-2445-49AC-85DC-5DCBD7067369.jpeg

Last edited:
@kevinfoutch Not to jump to conclusions but this reminds me of the leaking I've had around the t-case input/output seals. Anything noteworthy predicate this discovery? Recent maintenance, mods, or damage? How far forward from the t-case do you see signs of leakage? How far behind? Is it definitely gear oil or could it be engine oil / something else?

Man I wish they still offered something like that! Would jump all over it
Might check with Sirius, but I just did a 3yr for $99 package on my LX. I googled around to see what the deal was about and apparently they only offer it to older vehicle codes that haven't been activated in a while. So if you have a newer rig or are currently activated, it probably won't work for you. Maybe if you call and threaten to leave without that deal they will give it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom