SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Might check with Sirius, but I just did a 3yr for $99 package on my LX. I googled around to see what the deal was about and apparently they only offer it to older vehicle codes that haven't been activated in a while. So if you have a newer rig or are currently activated, it probably won't work for you. Maybe if you call and threaten to leave without that deal they will give it to you.
Yea I used to do that where I'd let it lapse. Get an email for 60 for a year or something do that then go without it til they'd offer another good deal. I don't think I could live without it at this point though to wait for those offers

@kevinfoutch , I assume you've smelled it and decided it's gear oil. Sure looks like it? Front transfer case output shaft oil seal?

Don’t know if it is gear oil or engine oil. I was due for an (engine) oil change so while at it, took some addl photos.

@indycole no recent / relevant mods (brake pads and rotors), no heavy wheeling recently.

Since re-gearing last year, plenty of wheeling trips as well as a few towing events with a camper.

Only noticed the leak recently.

1247C651-AE95-48F3-9F40-8E6242CB26F7.jpeg

6C35F01E-5FDA-4064-8210-EA9CC664C57C.jpeg

F48CAEE8-9FC7-4B81-B357-D57A43C9F82A.jpeg

D541504D-F122-47A3-9E57-C5B4D862F93A.jpeg

BC563F07-BF77-4785-9839-328DAE8FC36E.jpeg

Those additional photos help. My money is on gear oil from the rear output shaft seal of the transfer case.

See this rubber joint here on the lower control arm? Both side looks like they're on the last leg. Has anyone changed them out themselves? Looking at the Toyota parts stores online, I'm not seeing that specific part, only the whole LCA assembly.

IMG-7377.JPG

See this rubber joint here on the lower control arm? Both side looks like they're on the last leg. Has anyone changed them out themselves? Looking at the Toyota parts stores online, I'm not seeing that specific part, only the whole LCA assembly.

View attachment 2715737
That is the exact same position I am in. Toyota does not sell the ball joints, only the full control arm.
I know some people have successfully removed them. I tried to remove one Wed when I changed the brakes. I crushed one receiver tube then bent the whole C ball joint press. I think a couple more turns and it would have snapped. (Brand new kit) I was using a 3/8" breaker bar and a 3' iron pipe. (Brand new kit) It might come out with a 20 ton or larger press.
But after straining a muscle in my shoulder I think I will end up replacing the lower control arms and selling the ball joint set I bought.

Does anyone have a link to a Land Cruiser Heritage Emblem / Badge for purchase? I found the OEM Toyota badge which would run me about $300.

Anyone found success with finding a more cost-effective option?

Does anyone have a link to a Land Cruiser Heritage Emblem / Badge for purchase? I found the OEM Toyota badge which would run me about $300.

Anyone found success with finding a more cost-effective option?
It’s my understanding you can find FJ40 emblems for much cheaper that require a small amount of modification. I’m sure others will chime in with better info., but until then you might try searching for that on the forum.

Hello everyone. 2014 LX 570

Thought I'd throw my stupid question of the day in the ring because I'm sure it's located somewhere in the forum and I can't seem to find it but I'm needed the removable splash guard that protects the oil plug. It's missing. Also not sure if I'm missing some other splash guards or not but I'm having a hard time finding some pictures that show what factory skids(splash guards) are supposed to look like.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just sold my 2007 LX 470 and jumped into a 2014 LX 570 a couple weeks ago. Much different going into the 200 series but I like it so far! Didn't know I was missing the creature comforts. lol.

View attachment 2715737
I’d check with someone like @cruiseroutfit , they seem to have unique repair parts and experience with things like this.

Don’t know if it is gear oil or engine oil. I was due for an (engine) oil change so while at it, took some addl photos.

@indycole no recent / relevant mods (brake pads and rotors), no heavy wheeling recently.

Since re-gearing last year, plenty of wheeling trips as well as a few towing events with a camper.

Only noticed the leak recently.

View attachment 2714421

View attachment 2714422

View attachment 2714423

View attachment 2714424

View attachment 2714425
If you rock crawl at all, that transfer skid is a problem waiting to happen. Mounting to the casting of the transfer is a really bad idea. I had dozens of hits yesterday that would have broken the transfer case if I had a skid mounted like that. Check out the Budbuilt skid mounting for a much better approach to mounting (it only mounts to the frame, a sturdy crossmember, and a new crossmember they add, nothing attached to the transfer case).

Hello everyone. 2014 LX 570

Thought I'd throw my stupid question of the day in the ring because I'm sure it's located somewhere in the forum and I can't seem to find it but I'm needed the removable splash guard that protects the oil plug. It's missing. Also not sure if I'm missing some other splash guards or not but I'm having a hard time finding some pictures that show what factory skids(splash guards) are supposed to look like.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just sold my 2007 LX 470 and jumped into a 2014 LX 570 a couple weeks ago. Much different going into the 200 series but I like it so far! Didn't know I was missing the creature comforts. lol.
Readily available at a dealer or online dealer parts source like Olathe, McGeorge or Boch for less. Look it up in the online “fiche” or call them. You could also contact a shop that upgrades cruiser armor - when Rob was at Budbuilt, he hooked me up with some good factory splash shields (you can hardly call them skid plates) for a very friendly deal. I heard he left there, but you can always ask. As far as I can tell, if they don’t save it when removed, it all goes in the trash. There isn’t much of a market for used stock underbody protection.

It’s my understanding you can find FJ40 emblems for much cheaper that require a small amount of modification. I’m sure others will chime in with better info., but until then you might try searching for that on the forum.
This ^

But why you’d want to rebadge your cruiser to look like a heritage edition is beyond me. To me it is a lot like like putting a M3 badge on a 325.

Full disclosure, I had some TRD pro badges on my last cruiser’s d-pillar but I took them off because I felt like a poser. I got sick of explaining that there was no such thing as a TRD pro land cruiser and that I just put the badges on there.

Readily available at a dealer or online dealer parts source like Olathe, McGeorge or Boch for less. Look it up in the online “fiche” or call them. You could also contact a shop that upgrades cruiser armor - when Rob was at Budbuilt, he hooked me up with some good factory splash shields (you can hardly call them skid plates) for a very friendly deal. I heard he left there, but you can always ask.
I’ve been talking with Rob about figuring out scheduling to get BudBuilt sliders built and installed so I can plan a trip around it. He’s is in the process of splitting off his own installation business, but will still be in the same building with Bud. This reminds me that I need to give him a call to see if I can get things moving along so I can hopefully get an install date figured out so I can start planning my trip out.

This ^

But why you’d want to rebadge your cruiser to look like a heritage edition is beyond me. To me it is a lot like like putting a M3 badge on a 325.

Full disclosure, I had some TRD pro badges on my last cruiser’s d-pillar but I took them off because I felt like a poser. I got sick of explaining that there was no such thing as a TRD pro land cruiser and that I just put the badges on there.
The M series is a completely different car.

The heritage series is an appearance package.

Aside from the wheels and the goofy basket, good luck telling them apart.

The M series is a completely different car.

Not correct, but it seems like you have a different perspective.

As I recall, the differences include:
Dark tinted headlights
Dark tinted chrome trim
No door guards
No side steps
Black mirror caps
Different leather quality
Bronze colored deviated stitching
No cool box
‘20 no third row seats with different cargo panels /‘21 optional third row seats
Black headliner and pillar trim (with black leather seating)
Limited color choices (‘20 black or white/‘21 black, white, grey or silver)
Plus as said above, D-Pilar badges, bronze painted bbs forged rims and a Yakima roof basket

Adding a couple of $300 badges and the same color/style of rims may be an aesthetic choice, but that doesn’t make it a HE.

I don’t actually care, I’m not the badge or HE police. I just think it is silly playing pretend.

That's about right. For me, though, it was slightly more than just an appearance package. I didn't want the cooler box in the center console as I would rather have the extra storage space, so that was a huge win for me as that would be a fairly difficult / expensive thing to change so I would have ended up having to live with it. I also didn't want the 3rd row seats, so not having to find a space to store them and deal with figuring out how to plug a few of the holes left behind was another win and also gave me a great spot to install some power outlets in the cargo area where the release levers are normally located. The goofy basket was easy to remove, though I did have to find a spot to store it :). But it's not like the Heritage edition has a heavier duty frame or comes with 35" tires and front/rear lockers from the factory or anything like that. IMHO, instead of taking the easy path of just putting a Yakima basket on top, it would have been really nice if they had replaced the factory rack with something similar to what they have on the TRD Pros, but the cost involved versus the number of HE's they were building probably would have made it difficult to justify.

Not correct, but it seems like you have a different perspective.

As I recall, the differences include:
Dark tinted headlights
Dark tinted chrome trim
No door guards
No side steps
Black mirror caps
Different leather quality
Bronze colored deviated stitching
No cool box
‘20 no third row seats with different cargo panels /‘21 optional third row seats
Black headliner and pillar trim (with black leather seating)
Limited color choices (‘20 black or white/‘21 black, white, grey or silver)
Plus as said above, D-Pilar badges, bronze painted bbs forged rims and a Yakima roof basket

Adding a couple of $300 badges and the same color/style of rims may be an aesthetic choice, but that doesn’t make it a HE.

I don’t actually care, I’m not the badge or HE police. I just think it is silly playing pretend.
I’m just saying comparing a vehicle that has a completely different body, track width, engine, drivetrain, and interior to a subtle appearance package is one hell of a stretch.

Yeah, I really don't get why people want to do that, but that's why we have choices available.

There's a whole market out there for people who want to make their older G-wagons look just like newer G-wagons (I'm talking pre-2019's all around). There were relatively minor changes like different headlights and front bumpers over the years. People will spend relatively big money to make their 2010 G63 look like a 2018 G63. The average person will just see that it's a G63 - only a real enthusiast would actually notice the subtle differences. Yet people will pay thousands to make those changes.

I’m just saying comparing a vehicle that has a completely different body, track width, engine, drivetrain, and interior to a subtle appearance package is one hell of a stretch.
I'm not much of a BMW person, but isn't the M more or less analogous to AMG from Mercedes? If so, it would be the same platform with a more powerful engine, tuned suspension, and some appearance stuff (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot) more or less. AMG vehicles almost always have better leather available, exclusive color choices, tuned suspensions, etc. The HE package is definitely a much less extreme difference, but these all ultimately come down to trim levels on the same basic vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom