SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If key fob battery fails how do you get into vehicle? Little key is only for glovebox, correct?

If key fob battery fails how do you get into vehicle? Little key is only for glovebox, correct?

Little key opens the driver door.

Then you touch dead-battery FOB to start button as you press it and it will start.

In case you're a visual learner... put your little key in here to open the Driver's door:

LC200Keyhole_02NOV15_zpstegwzqbi.jpg

HTH

Hi guys. Pretty dumb question but I'm not sure (still my first truck and still getting my feet wet).

I went off pavement and had to unexpectedly drive through some water. Water probably came up to the running boards of the LX570. It was only about 50 feet long; maybe a little more but not very long. But pretty sure the water went higher than the wheel hubs.

Do I need to do anything along the lines of greasing or cleaning or draining? Or is the truck okay? To some extent, I would assume that the truck is okay and built for this kind of stuff. But just wanted to make sure....

Hi guys. Pretty dumb question but I'm not sure (still my first truck and still getting my feet wet).

I went off pavement and had to unexpectedly drive through some water. Water probably came up to the running boards of the LX570. It was only about 50 feet long; maybe a little more but not very long. But pretty sure the water went higher than the wheel hubs.

Do I need to do anything along the lines of greasing or cleaning or draining? Or is the truck okay? To some extent, I would assume that the truck is okay and built for this kind of stuff. But just wanted to make sure....

Water Fording Depth is 27.5" ... if I remember right. Though washing the under carriage is not going to hurt it any.

You may want to check the upper-passenger side of the rear diff carrier to make sure that your breather is intact. If it is, then nothing to worry about there. I just mention it as I noticed that mine had become disconnected during a preventative maintenance session. I don't think it's a common thing to have an issue with, though.

Thanks guys. I need to look up water fording depth and breather. But sounds like the truck is ok.

ETA: okay so sounds like the LX can ford water deeper than the depth I went through (I'm pretty sure the depth was lower than the bottom of the door which I guess is about 20". I think the depth was even lower than the axle / running boards which are about 15" but not entirely sure since I didn't stop to check). And the manual seems to suggest that at least 18" is okay (said something about using AHC High mode when driving in water deeper than 18"). So, I think the truck is okay. BUT, having read about breathers, now I'm concerned about about water getting in somewhere it shouldn't.

If water got somewhere it shouldn't (other than the engine because it's running fine), would I know immediately? Or is the damage it will cause going to appear over time? Should I take the truck into a shop to have it checked out? If so, for what?

Last edited:
How do those with “hidden winch mounts” and OEM bumper reach the winch clutch lever?

How do you know if the line is getting bunched-up on the drum?

Thanks!

Thanks guys. I need to look up water fording depth and breather. But sounds like the truck is ok.

ETA: okay so sounds like the LX can ford water deeper than the depth I went through (I'm pretty sure the depth was lower than the bottom of the door which I guess is about 20". I think the depth was even lower than the axle / running boards which are about 15" but not entirely sure since I didn't stop to check). And the manual seems to suggest that at least 18" is okay (said something about using AHC High mode when driving in water deeper than 18"). So, I think the truck is okay. BUT, having read about breathers, now I'm concerned about about water getting in somewhere it shouldn't.

If water got somewhere it shouldn't (other than the engine because it's running fine), would I know immediately? Or is the damage it will cause going to appear over time? Should I take the truck into a shop to have it checked out? If so, for what?

You're 100% fine. There's nearly no chance there's water in your diffs if your breathers are intact.

How do those with “hidden winch mounts” and OEM bumper reach the winch clutch lever?

How do you know if the line is getting bunched-up on the drum?

Thanks!

I can see the line on the drum through the grill without removing anything - this hasn't been a problem for me.

For the clutch lever you have a few options. Mine is wireless - I can just use reverse. Second, Warn has a wireless clutch option. Third, you can cut a hole in the top engine cover so you can reach down and grab it (not a great option in my opinion) or fourth you can just remove the cover which takes about 30 seconds if you really need to get to it.

For me, I just use the wireless controller and if I need to get to the winch for the clutch or to plug in the wired controller then I will just quickly remove the cover.

I can see the line on the drum through the grill without removing anything - this hasn't been a problem for me.

For the clutch lever you have a few options. Mine is wireless - I can just use reverse. Second, Warn has a wireless clutch option. Third, you can cut a hole in the top engine cover so you can reach down and grab it (not a great option in my opinion) or fourth you can just remove the cover which takes about 30 seconds if you really need to get to it.

For me, I just use the wireless controller and if I need to get to the winch for the clutch or to plug in the wired controller then I will just quickly remove the cover.

Thanks! Is there any chance you could snap a photo when you have some time?

You're 100% fine. There's nearly no chance there's water in your diffs if your breathers are intact.

Thanks! That's comforting. I'm guessing the breathers are either water resistant / water proof and/or they are located above 18" (which is what the manual seems to suggest is okay at a minimum).

I guess I should still learn what breathers are and where they are located.....

Before I send an email to the local service manager I want to make sure I'm not the one that has donkey brains.

Took my wife's 17' LX570 in for tire repair and the 5k service, I wanted to get remote start installed for Mothers day on it while it was there. I asked the Service desk if they had the module in stock and if they had time to throw it on today. He was very confused from the beginning and had to go ask someone if it was possible on that vehicle. He came back and said that they all have that option (I swear I don't) and you have to push the "OnStar" button to activate and it costs something like $16 a month for it. I told him I didn't have the option installed on my car and that I'm not interested in the monthly fee to start it from my phone, just the fob. He just looked at me like I was an idiot and I just left.

Fire away at the service manager. Whomever you spoke with is clearly an idiot.

Don't worry, you're not the one who's crazy. Facts:

- Remote start option has never been standard on the 200 AFAIK.
- Remote start has nothing to do with OnStar or your phone, and does not require any kind of monthly subscription.
- Remote start uses your existing FOB. You push the lock button three times in sequence, holding it down the third time for five seconds to start the vehicle.

There is a recent thread on here somewhere about using remote start, you may want to try the procedure just to confirm you don't have it on your vehicle before subjecting yourself to more dealership idiocy.

Before I send an email to the local service manager I want to make sure I'm not the one that has donkey brains.

Took my wife's 17' LX570 in for tire repair and the 5k service, I wanted to get remote start installed for Mothers day on it while it was there. I asked the Service desk if they had the module in stock and if they had time to throw it on today. He was very confused from the beginning and had to go ask someone if it was possible on that vehicle. He came back and said that they all have that option (I swear I don't) and you have to push the "OnStar" button to activate and it costs something like $16 a month for it. I told him I didn't have the option installed on my car and that I'm not interested in the monthly fee to start it from my phone, just the fob. He just looked at me like I was an idiot and I just left.

It’s not you...

After reading your description... Wondering if he carelessly assumed you meant remote UNLOCK...where—if you lock your key in the car...the on-star operator can unlock your car for you through the service. I don’t know...just a guess. Would not be surprising to learn he hadn’t really listened to what you asked.

And ya.,. Some guys at the parts counters are right “up there” with cashiers at 7-11...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom