Builds Spyduh's Crawler80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nitro Chromoly birfield and axle shafts
Aisin Locking Hubs
Spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers
Trailgear Chromoly Spindle Lock Nuts

I'm tired. All day installing parts. Still not done either.
20210123_210314.jpg

20210123_210602-COLLAGE.jpg

20210123_210657-COLLAGE.jpg

20210123_210714-COLLAGE.jpg

Gamiviti seat gears installed and random stuff inside.

Waiting on packages to arrive for hydro assist missing parts. Delayed and probably won't have time to install before KOH. Still waiting for my Dobi 6in too.

Maybe tomorrow I'll cut some DOM tube to length for the drag link and tap for fj80 23mm Tre threads.

She's coming together slowly.

20210124_163100.jpg

20210124_155009.jpg

Finished welding the RAMPT power steering box plate kit. Slight mod since it was made for RHD. Nothing a cut off wheel and grinder amd drill bits couldn't fix. Really ugly welds on the inside frame. It's impossible to get enough room to weld. Its burned in at max setting on 220 so it aint falling off. Outside frame looks pretty is what counts.

Installed the redhead steering box and capped off the an6 fittings. No hydro for this trip.

Spent the next few hours packing the truck. Going to sleep for 1 HR then off to KOH.

20210129_212757.jpg

20210129_184007.jpg

20210129_183926.jpg

20210129_161017.jpg

20210129_160455.jpg

Finished welding the RAMPT power steering box plate kit. Slight mod since it was made for RHD. Nothing a cut off wheel and grinder amd drill bits couldn't fix. Really ugly welds on the inside frame. It's impossible to get enough room to weld. Its burned in at max setting on 220 so it aint falling off. Outside frame looks pretty is what counts.

Installed the redhead steering box and capped off the an6 fittings. No hydro for this trip.

Spent the next few hours packing the truck. Going to sleep for 1 HR then off to KOH.

View attachment 2569528

View attachment 2569529

View attachment 2569530

View attachment 2569531

View attachment 2569532
Be safe and have fun at King of the hammers

Awesome amount of work in a short time here.... At least you didn’t have a trailer tire fly off like I did last summer. :rofl: Give’m hell at the hammers.

Are you finding that the @Delta VS radius arms give you more flexibility for choosing your lines through obstacles? I remember Kevin (@Tools R Us) saying that narrower arms would significantly improve front end flex sticking with existing OEM design. I think the Delta VS crew came to the same conclusion with their radius arm design.

Are you finding that the @Delta VS radius arms give you more flexibility for choosing your lines through obstacles? I remember Kevin (@Tools R Us) saying that narrower arms would significantly improve front end flex sticking with existing OEM design. I think the Delta VS crew came to the same conclusion with their radius arm design.
Narrower arms do improve flex ( not sure how that helps choosing a line ) You can get the same flex by grinding the top half of Mr T arms down to the bushings, The down side to this is, it's really hard on the bushing when your all flexed out if you look you can see the bushing being torn apart = early failure. and if you have replaced your you know there not cheep.
JMHO ;) cheers

Awesome rigs, I’ve just gotta say I’m jealous of the lack of rules in USA. While being in Australia is great (absolutely not rust to deal with), we can’t lift our cars/4wds more than 2” in total. (Eg fitting 33” tyres AND 2” suspension lift is illegal, police regularly setup checkpoints on weekends
Can you blame them, with The Nightrider and Lord Humungous running amok in the wasteland.....

Narrower arms do improve flex ( not sure how that helps choosing a line )........
Actually my question was for @spyduh since he had installed rhe DVS arms. But what I meant was has there been enough improvement in flex to allow him to be more agressive in choosing lines through previous attemped obstacles? I had ordered a set for my '94 and cancelled when Dave at Delta noticed that I had not read the Les Schwab spec sheet correctly when I got my front end checked. The caster for both fronts was within specs. For most overlanding that I do, I leave the front anti roll bar connected, but will disco if rough enough terrain is to be encountered. So just asking for an opinion after he had put time and terrain on the DVS arms.

Last edited:
Actually my question was for @spyduh since he had installed rhe DVS arms. But what I meant was has there been enough improvement in flex to allow him to be more agressive in choosing lines through previous attemped obstacles? I had ordered a set for my '94 and cancelled when Dave at Delta noticed that I had not read the Les Schwab spec sheet correctly when I got my front end checked. The caster for both fronts was within specs. For most overlanding that I do, I leave the front anti roll bar connected, but will disco if rough enough terrain is to be encountered. So just asking for an opinion after he had got put time and terrain on the DVS arms.
I knew you were asking spyduh that's why I put IMHO at the end. I also have been following his build and its a new build. I believe he is on his first wheeling trip with it now King Of the Hammers. Having wheeled with others that have them and have ground down the upper half of mine they are not going to get you through a harder line then stock arms. JMHO I sure spyduh will have some incite for us when he get's back. Short of a 3 link I don't think your going to see that kind of improvements in flex with the stock setup. again JMHO

I knew you were asking spyduh that's why I put IMHO at the end. I also have been following his build and its a new build. I believe he is on his first wheeling trip with it now King Of the Hammers. Having wheeled with others that have them and have ground down the upper half of mine they are not going to get you through a harder line then stock arms. JMHO I sure spyduh will have some incite for us when he get's back. Short of a 3 link I don't think your going to see that kind of improvements in flex with the stock setup. again JMHO
Slightly better flex with skinny arms but nothing like I want it. 3 or 4 link might be in my future.

What really disappoints me is the lack of ground clearance. Need more slider clearance and to reinforce my lower link mounts. I dragged everything going up turkey claw. But it made it with out winching, rock stacking or tuggingrl up for help. Fully locked front and rear 80% of the time. Took some really hard lines that my old mini truck crawler would have done with out any problems that the 80 got hung up underneath on sliders.

I'm thinking of going to 38 milestars or maybe 40s to get more clearance

Slightly better flex with skinny arms but nothing like I want it. 3 or 4 link might be in my future.

What really disappoints me is the lack of ground clearance. Need more slider clearance and to reinforce my lower link mounts. I dragged everything going up turkey claw. But it made it with out winching, rock stacking or tuggingrl up for help. Fully locked front and rear 80% of the time. Took some really hard lines that my old mini truck crawler would have done with out any problems that the 80 got hung up underneath on sliders.

I'm thinking of going to 38 milestars or maybe 40s to get more clearance
You could always cut the rockers and weld sliders into that location for increased ground clearance.

Nice work on the steering box reinforcements! My steering box is fine but my engine is out at the moment. And I'm a glutton for inflicting "while I'm in there" punishment upon myself. How much easier do you think it would be to weld in those plates with no engine in the way? Is it worth delaying my first start up even further, or could I sleep fine knowing I can still do it later easily enough with the engine in place?

How long did it take to receive the plates from Rampt?

Nice work on the steering box reinforcements! My steering box is fine but my engine is out at the moment. And I'm a glutton for inflicting "while I'm in there" punishment upon myself. How much easier do you think it would be to weld in those plates with no engine in the way? Is it worth delaying my first start up even further, or could I sleep fine knowing I can still do it later easily enough with the engine in place?

How long did it take to receive the plates from Rampt?
100000000 times easier with no engine for inside welds.

4 days with DHL Express. You don't want to know the cost. Lol. I would have paid less if I wasn't in a hurry for KOH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom